“Don't be fooled by the lobby...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bellingham Lodge

Bellingham Lodge
Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Bellingham
Anaheim, California
“Don't be fooled by the lobby...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

I don't really know where to begin. I booked my stay on expedia.com, mainly due to the amenities stated on the hotel information section. These included microwave/fridge, continental breakfast, heated pool, and hot tub/sauna. Fairly common among motels of this level, yes, but when a hotel lists these amenities you would expect to have these at your disposal upon your arrival, right? Well, kinda...

The best part of my experience at this Travelodge was walking into the lobby for the first time. Obviously newly renovated, the lobby was fairly impressive. Unfortunately, it was all down hill from there.

After checking in, I ventured to my room located on the first floor. There were three things that immediately caught my attention: the putrid smell of cigarette smoke, grossly stained carpeted floors, and walls that looked like they haven't been painted in decades. I thought to myself, "Okay, this is just the hall, I'll wait and make judgment until I get to our room." I get to my room, stick my card in the reader. Nothing happens. I repeatedly kept sliding my card in and out and nothing happens. Interesting. I go back to the front desk, and the girl who works there tells me that the card actually goes in upside down into the reader. Upside down? Yeah, that seemed like the most obvious way how to do it...

Anyway, I finally get into my room and I immediately notice problems all over the place. I honestly spotted problems without even having to search for them (windows so dirty I could barely see through them, curtains so old and ragged that they literally fall apart when you pull them, carpets with various stains, hair on the counter in the bathroom, gross shower, mildew/mold around and behind the toilet - the list goes on!)

I go to the front desk and switch rooms, and am sent upstairs to a new room. I'll admit that this new room is light years better than the one I was in, but it was missing some key amenities listed on the website (fridge/microwave). I call the front desk and am told that apparently not all the rooms have micro/fridge and that she had to go search through vacant rooms to find some. The poor girl checked like 15 rooms and could only find a microwave that I swear was from the 80s. She said that she could call her manager and see if she could buy some more and send it to my room ASAP. I told her it was okay, I didn't really need it, just that I would have liked to have them considering it was guaranteed, but whatever, life goes on.

Since it was a nice day out, I thought I'd head to the pool area and check it out. Thank god I checked it first rather than jump in aimlessly. This pool area was quite possibly the most pathetic attempt at a pool area I have ever seen. Not only was the pool tiny (probably four people could fit in it), the water was green! God knows what filth and bacteria live in the Bellingham Travelodge pool, but I am pretty sure that if I even got close to the water I would have gotten some crazy skin disease. Oh, and the hot tub/sauna room reeks of mildew and mold.

As the night came to a close, I go back to my room and lay down on the bed. Who knows if I had clean sheets, I tried real hard not to think about it and hoped they were.

I wake up and head downstairs to the continental breakfast, which was pathetic as well. Old bananas, stale cereal, suspect danishes, and frozen concentrate orange juice (which was hilariously being chilled in a bowl of melted ice). The unkempt appearance of the room wasn't very inviting either, with garbage cans overfilling everywhere. Pretty sure there has to be some health code violations going on.

After checking out, I noticed a computer station by the door. The note on it said "Internet access: $1.00 per 15 minutes of use". A dollar for 15 minutes? What is this, 1998?

I probably should have gotten a refund after seeing that first room, but if I did, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to write this wordy review. It's not even a review really, it's more of an extreme warning to anyone considering staying here.

This is the worst Travelodge I have ever stayed in.

• Liked — Front desk girl
  • Disliked — Pool of Death
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cameron Park, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

Every step you take....I'll be hearing you. This hotel's floors are creaky and the walls are thin. Every step taken by the guests upstairs and in the hallway was heard loud and clear in our room.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — noisy room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Bellingham hotels

wa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

Sat. Paid $91. It looks like they just don’t much care. Place seemed run down and they don’t even do much in curb appeal (blackberries and unkempt grass). Bathroom sink stopped up. The “enhanced” continental breakfast was a joke, not well stocked and messy.
Desk people were friendly and location was good. Room was quiet.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — amenities
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Benicia, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

I stayed at the Travelodge in January 2008, Paid $63 a night (plus taxes) for three nights for a double queen room. First room (104), the window looking out on the rear parking lot would not lock (anyone could have opened it and entered the room at any time). We were moved to room 112. Room ok, but the fabric on the chairs was stained and the carpet looked dirty. Heard lots of noises when people on second floor moved around or the neighbors used the showers. The breakfast room was unkempt and looked like it was not on a daily cleaning schedule. Unappetizing enough to make us eat out even when the breakfast was free. Room key stopped working each day, we had to have it re-keyed daily. Front desk employees were fine, no complaints with them. Next time were are in Bellingham we will probably spend more money to find a nicer place.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2008
Tacoma, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel three times in the last 2 years. It is a basic, comfortable, affordable hotel. The people at the front desk have always been very helpful and pleasant. The pool is very small but it would be fun for small children. The breakfast consists of drinks, muffins/pastries and fruit. It's location is convenient for visiting Western Washington University. I will stay there again.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank O'Henry
HELLO3
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

Nice for the money. Desk staff very helpful and courteous. Breakfast was nice, and pool was fun.

• Liked — LOCATION, SERVICE, ROOMS
  • Disliked — BELLINGHAM
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank HELLO3
missourihee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2007

I had a wonderful time in Bellingham, and enjoyed myself immensely. The experience was great, and it seems like Travelodge has really changed, based on earlier reviews. The carpets were brand new, the place was clean, I had a microwave, fridge, and T.V., and the pool was fun!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — like a motel
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family