“OK for a night in off-season”
Review of Bellingham Lodge

Bellingham Lodge
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Bellingham
Reviewed November 18, 2011

The Bellingham Lodge is a decent low-end accommodation near the I-5 freeway with easy driving access to downtown. Tub and shower. Average bed. Good TV choices. Wouldn't want to be there in busy times, but fine with low occupancy. HVAC worked well. Compare rooms since some have obstructed views, etc. Hot tub in a central building. Several restaurants nearby. A free continental breakfast with waffles cooked to order.

Room Tip: check out rooms to see what's outside the window
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed October 14, 2011

So apparently on Google the motel management writes the reviews, because this motel had some of the best reviews. In reality this motel is very, very dirty. Our first clue that this place isn't ok was the torn up and filthy carpet in the lobby and on the stairs. The only available king size room was a "suite", a slightly larger than avg. room with a whirlpool tub. The tub appeared clean, but on getting in to shower there were "hairs" in the bottom and soap dried on the tile walls. The tiles and grout surrounding the tub was very dirty. The next day our room wasn't cleaned at all, although the towels were replaced with more stained, holey towels. The comforter was stained with blood and yellow stains. The pillows were yellowed and lumpy. The couches and chairs were stained and dirty.
Here were the good things: a beautiful mirror on the wall and very nice smelling soap in the bathroom.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2011

If saving money is your priority, this is your place. However, if you expect your hotel to be clean, this place is not for you. The place reeks of cheapness, from the floors to a horrendous room decor, to smells that you know are not yours.

The breakfast would be considered luxurious in third world country, but for someone with any standards, it is absolutely unacceptable.

The owner's attitude is they can't please everyone, so if you don't like it, too bad. Again, if all you want is to save money and have low expectations, this may be an option. Otherwise, please spend a few bucks more and stay at a place that cares.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs and ignore the cheapness for a total experience.
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I have no criticism about the accomodations at all. I accidentally reserved a room with a single bed but smoking. When I found that out, I told them smoking was no good. They immediately offered me a nonsmoking room with two beds for the same price. The beds were very comfortable, the cable TV was great. I could walk to eating places. I could take the bus to downtown. It was right by Interstate 5.

Only real problem I can report is that the wireless Internet was spotty in my room. They said it was loaded with all the customers lodged there. What I ultimately found was that my room was on the very border of what the wireless access point would reachl. I brought my netbook to the lobby and everything worked perfect.

I recommend this place, but if you find your connection failing, go to the breakfast room where the signal is better.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 14, 2011

After checking in, we drove to the back parking lot and saw a bunch of louts standing around a pickup truck drinking beer. I thought, "This can't be good."
Yep, one of their rooms was around the corner and the other down the hall. Sounded like they were having a party in the hallways, so I phoned the front desk at 10:30 p.m. Within 10 minutes they quieted down, but at 20-minute intervals they resumed until 2:00 a.m.
The second night was peaceful, for the louts checked out that morning.
Once, we passed through the smoking section hallways and were gagged by the fetid odor. In our room, one of the electrical outlets was coming out of the wall.
If you can avoid drunken louts during your stay, I would recommend this hotel because it's cheap and convenient to the I-5. Many good eating establishments nearby. Just remember that with this hotel you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Communer
Reviewed September 6, 2010

This is the worst hotel we ever stayed in. The hallways stink of cigarette smoke, the walls are dirty, and the carpet is stained and sticky at places. Several months worth of dirt was visible between the bed and the bedside table. The sheets are so thin and old that they are torn at the corners and don’t hold onto the mattress anymore; you end up sleeping directly on the mattress without the protection (!) of the sheets. That makes it very uncomfortable, disturbing and disgusting! As for the bedcover and the blanket, well I don’t know . . .
The walls are thin, the floors are creaky and, as a result, you hear noise coming from the hallway, the adjacent rooms, and the rooms above, making it for a very noisy experience and an uneasy sleep.
Last but not least, the continental breakfast and the kitchen area!!! The kitchen / dining / lounge areas are so dirty that it puts a damper on your appetite right away. And it’s as well, because, as an other reviewer said, it’s a joke with the stale mini-bagels and cereals offered. The furniture is old and dirty, and you can barely see through the windows. In the food preparation and handling area, you find the milk, orange juice, butter and cream cheese, not far from empty dishes, dirty coffee pots and cleaning products. Brooms, dirty mops and other cleaning devices lay on the kitchen floor along with garbage overflowing from the bin (both in the kitchen and the dining areas). Health Services would have a field-day if they showed up there!
I hope all Travelodges are not the same, but I won’t be the one to find out!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DMEasyTrav
BellinghamTravelodge, Owner at Bellingham Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2010

I'm sorry our hotel did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide clean, affordable accommodations. Thank you for your feedback. It helps us to improve our hotel. It is true that we do provide smoking rooms. While we try to ensure that guests do not smoke in the hallways or leave their doors open while smoking it may occasionally happen. The conditions you describe regarding the cleanliness of the room and the condition of the bedsheets are certainly not up to our standards. We do steam clean the carpets regularly and continually spot clean tough stains. The housekeepers are instructed to dispose of linen that has worn thin. Regarding the walls being thin and the floors being creaky, the building is nearly 30 years old and it's true in some areas that the floor might squeak. It's also true that if a guest is loud enough you might be able to hear them in another room. On the other hand, our desk staff are trained and effective in responding to noise complaints swiftly, professionally, and assertively. We do clean the breakfast area while serving the food and after it has closed. Some of our windows in that area have accumulated stains between the panes that we are unable to clean. We intend to replace the windows but this will unfortunately have to wait until we have an opportunity to spend some money on renovations. We had been leaning a mop and broom up behind the kitchen counter area, but we agree that this doesn't looks so good and we've removed them. Thanks for pointing this out to us. As for Health Services, we'd be happy to offer any agent a room at our hotel any time. Come on down.

Reviewed July 14, 2010

A dump, plain and simple. This is the filthiest hotel I have ever stayed at. The hallways reek of cigarette smoke (even the non-smoking floor). The floor and furniture are dirty and stained. The sheets are old and thin (nearly transparent!). The construction of the hotel was very low-quality, with thin creaky floors and thin walls and doors that let the sound through.
It is clear that the owners have not put any money into the upkeep of this property for many, many years. It was so dirty and unpleasant that we were unable to enjoy our stay. A thoroughly uncomfortable, unhappy experience. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family