“3 issues that make it a no-go for me.”

Hampton Inn Bellingham-Airport
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Bellingham
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel is basically OK if you just need a place to sleep and don't have high standards, but I have three issues that, to me, are unacceptable for a hotel in this price range, and not up to the standards of other Hampton's and Marriott's that I frequent:

1. The internet is a joke. I'm lucky if I can get 0.30Mb/s. It's 2013 . . . there is no excuse for this, and this alone is reason enough for me not to stay here again. I'm on vacation, but I need to stay connected for business, and this is simply not functional.

2. No refrigerator in the room.

3. I can CLEARLY hear the people above me every time they take a leak. It sounds like they're pissing in a fish tank right next to my head. This is quite disturbing.

Everything else is about the same as your typical outdated business hotel. The place is relatively clean, the beds are relatively comfortable, and it has easy access to the freeway.

On a positive note, the Greek restaurant next door is really good. Easy access to good food after a long day snowboarding is important.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Racer20
Alex N, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Bellingham-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Racer20, I will start by saying thank you for your comments. Without guests telling us what we need to work on we would not be able to make improvements. Everything you stated in your review was absolutely correct. I can confidently say that if you ever choose to stay with us again you will not have the internet problem you were having. We have a technician coming out in a week or two to increase our bandwidth. We have been aware of this issue and have been taking steps to improve it. Since we are an older property the original intent was not to have refrigerators in the rooms, because of that reason we have portable fridges that you can ask the front desk to have sent to your room. We know people have needs for a fridge and want to accommodate them. I agree we should have it better posted. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Manager and staff are friendly but the hotel is lacking for the business traveler. They are remodeling so the breakfast area is very limited in size and can be very crowded.

High speed internet barely qualifies at internet much less "High Speed"!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Gregg, first I would like to thank you for your response. Any and all responses are appreciated, it helps us determine what we need to work on or what we are doing well. I will agree with you, our current breakfast area is too small. We hope to have this renovation done as soon as possible. Most importantly our internet, we know about the problem and have a technician coming out in the next week or two. The parts have already arrived and our bandwidth upgrade will be finalized. Thanks again for your comments! We hope that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Rather than risking the border, my wife and I opted to stay here before our early morning flight. We arrived quite late, and check in was a breeze. The room was slightly dated, however, was more than acceptable as a quick place to sleep before our trip. The rooms were quiet, which was a surprise considering the proximity to the highway. Checkout was just as easy and the staff was polite and courteous. Less than 2 minutes drive to the airport.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here do to a truck breakdown and was pleasantly surprised by the Hampton Inn and its ease of access plus it's comfortable rooms and nice breakfast for guests.

There are several convenience stores close as well as a Greek restaurant so for short stays you really don't need anything more.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Hoss98057
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Very helpful staff and friendly. The front desk is very accommodating. The kitchen staff is friendly and helpful. An all-around great experience. The hotel is near the airport, mall and Fred Meyer. Coffee and tea are always available, and cookies or popcorn are available in the late afternoon.

Room Tip: Choose room on top floor away from staircase and elevator, as many sports teams stay at the hotel...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WallaWallaGrace
Reviewed February 10, 2013

As a platinum Hilton Honors member, I stay at a lot of Hampton Inns throughout the US. I spend 20+ night a year at this hotel. The rooms in this hotel are significantly above the standard of Hampton Inn. Very nice decor, with a unique wardrobe and desk combination. The bath, though small and oddly shaped, are functional. However, the rest of the hotel is terribly dated. The hallways often have strange odors. The decor of the public spaces is depressing. Breakfast area is small and dated. The staff is usually cold and service is mediocre. No recognition of HHonors status or benefits. Even with my loyalty to Hilton, I am looking for a nicer hotel in Bellingham. Overall, nice rooms in a dated hotel, but close to BLI.

Room Tip: Be careful of the "smoking room" areas...smell spreads across several floors
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tom D
Alex N, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Bellingham-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Tom, thank you for taking the time to write your response. I am truly glad that our rooms were to your liking, however I am very sorry for our lack of attentiveness to your additional comments. Being built in 1991 we are not as fortunate to have all the excellent upgrades that other and more recent Hampton Inn's have. We are currently undergoing a lobby renovation, as you may have noticed during your stay, to help improve that area. Our Front Desk staff is constantly working on ways we can improve customer satisfaction and interaction. Your comments will be helpful with our training. If we can help make your stay any better, even after the fact, we would love to continue to earn your business. Please contact us and let us know what we can do, Trey Campbell is our General Manager, he can find a way to make your next stay is a more pleasant one.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We used this hotel for a business meeting and rented their room for three days. It was a bit small for our group and was set up for only 20. At the last minute, they worked with me to add two more tables to accomodate 25 people. It was a tight fit but the room worked out. We also had hotel rooms blocked off for our group and everyone seemed to enjoy their stay. The complimentary breakfast was great and the afternoon cookies were a nice touch. I also had to get an outside caterer for lunch but they gave me a great recommendation so it worked out nicely. The hotel manager was on site and made an effort to greet guests and ask about their stay and I thought that was excellent customer service. You could tell he really cared.

Only complaint was the treadmill in the gym was broken and I had to call and report it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business