“Tired and disconnected” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Bellingham
California
“Tired and disconnected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Even though they are remodeling in September I hope they remember to remodel their staff. Some of the worst service at a holiday inn express that I have experienced. They all seemed to have something better to do.
And services usually that go along with being a priority member were not part of this hotel
As well on check in, the "boy" behind the counter announced to the entire busy lobby " just yourself, traveling by yourself".
Really? Big no no for business woman traveling alone. His reason was for something mundane as to know how many water bottles to give me.
When i asked about restaurants in the area, that proved to be a lesson in futility.
Rooms are old and dank. Reminiscent of the old holiday inn hotels
I will look for other options when in Bellingham again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank threedandj
HIEBellingham, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear threedandj,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We apologize we were unable to reach our goals of having excellent customer service. We do appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and we have added this topic into our next Front Desk meeting. If you would like to discuss this further, please email me at gbauer@hiebellingham.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Olympia, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel and found it to be clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was also good. On the downside the Wifi was poor (went on and off) and the rooms need a make over. That being said the hotel is going to be redone beginning in September 2013. So I suggest when you visit, you as for a remodeled room. As it stands now it seems pricey for what you get. I will go back once the remodel is complete.

Room Tip: After September 2013 ask for a remodeled room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
HIEBellingham, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear S_Robinson,

Thank you for leaving us a review. We apologize you had such a trying time with our WiFi, we have contacted our provider, so that we may find a better solution. Thank you for letting us know you had troubles while you were here, we do appreciate the information. We are also glad you noticed we are about to renovate! It will be very exciting to see the results, we hope you will visit us again.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many many times and it never disappoints. The Holiday Inn Express offers exceptionally clean rooms, a hot breakfast in the morning, use of an adjoining businesses gym( you must be 16 to use) and a pool that offers swimming for families until 10pm and adults only from 10-12 pm.
If you are looking or a hotel close to Bellis Fair Mall this is the perfect choice. The staff is always very helpful in fact they gave my kids packages of hot chocolate in the evening when it was not supposed to be available until morning.
I will continue to use this hotel on my trips to Bellingham!! Perfect for a quick overnight trip!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cheryl D,

Thank you for leaving us a review and for your loyality! We appreciate the return business. We are glad you we were able to enjoy our extra ammenities, as well an evening hot chocolate! We look forward to your next quick trip to Bellingham.
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here for several nights; and really enjoyed it. The staff was always friendly and helpful; and the public areas and room were clean. Our standard king room was as it should be; everything worked, no surprises. The breakfast was very nice; biscuits and gravy, bacon, sausage, pancake mix, eggs, fruit, yogurt and their cinnamon rolls every day...nicely done. The location is also convenient; close to the shopping mall and Interstate.
There were, however, a couple annoyances. The doors do not have closers; so if you're not careful (and most guests are not) the door slams shut and rattles nearby rooms. Another small annoyance is that the elevator is painfully slow. But the pluses of the hotel, especially the staff, outweighed these small issues.
Overall, we recommend this hotel and plan to stay there again when we visit Bellingham.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the vending machines; they're noisy and next to the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HI_TRVLR
HIEBellingham, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for leaving us such a thorough review. We are glad you found so many great things about our hotel and that you felt our staff outweighed any wrong you found. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your staff.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

A little noisy ... but that was more our neighbors being inconsiderate. Biggest complaint - lots of smokers ... made it difficult to enjoy breakfast outside under gorgeous weather. I thought it was illegal to smoke to eating areas, but evidently not at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
We apologize you had noisy neighbors. Our back patio is not technically a designated eating area, so smokers can be there, just not within the 25 feet of the door. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Kamloops, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I had previously reviewed this hotel as Great Stay as Usual, so I will not repeat. Our family of 5 visit every year in June for the Baker Blast soccer tournament. The staff and the breakfast were fabulous as always. Two things that we discovered this trip...There is no laundry facility on site, so we would have to use the laundry mart a couple of blocks from the hotel. So if you are planning on doing laundry, make sure you have a few big bags with you to transport them. We also found out that there is no fitness centre on site, but the bonus is that you can use the City Gym just outside the hotel for free (needs to be at least 16 years old). It is a full facility gym so that is excellent...I would recommend the hotel staff mention this at check in:)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for coming back to leave another review, and for knowing how important reviews are to us. I will pass along to the Front Desk about mentioning the free use of the fabulous City Gym that is next door. Thank you for your return business as well.
Vernon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Way back, I believe in February, I reviewed this hotel and mentioned that when I got home it appeared that I had some type of bites in a few places on my body. That being said I had phoned the hotel to ask them to check the room. They assured me that they took the possibility of bed bugs very seriously. However, I asked them to get back to me to tell me what the outcome was (as I was concerned I may have brought bed bugs home in my luggage or clothing) and they did not contact me for almost a week. (I phoned on Sunday and no one called me back until the end of the week, on a Friday). While I think it is good that we review these hotels, I wanted to be able to go back into my review to let the public know that the manager at this hotel apologized for being so slow to respond and she also more than made up for their shortfallings. I couldn't get back into the original review to share this information so thought I would do it now. So thank you to the manager at this hotel for taking care of the problem and following through! It was greatly appreciated and I WILL stay at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ichabod8312
HIEBellingham, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to come back and leave us another review. We appreciate you taking the time to voice your full experience. We are pleased you felt your issues were addressed to your satisfaction. We look forward to your next stay!