“Nice property” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Bellingham
Port Townsend, Washington
“Nice property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I've stayed at the HI Express many times when I was rotating out from the vessel. Usually I was a late arrival, but the front desk staff were always going out of their way to make sure I was checked in quickly (after 3-4 months at sea I get the burnout, tired and want to just relax, order a pizza and have a beer).

The room-Much better that a few of the other Express properties I've stayed in. Comfortable bed, clean bathroom, carpet and furnishings well maintained.

Lots of places to go to nearby-Meridian has a bunch of shops, restaurants etc. up and down the stretch so I had to flip a coin on what to eat.
Overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Timothy W
HIEBellingham, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Also thank you for your many return visits, we appreciate return guests! I am glad you find our staff so accomodating and our location so convenient!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We over-nighted here. The front-desk staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was huge, on the 2nd floor overlooking a lovely patio so was also very quiet. The room was very clean with up-to-date furniture and linens. We couldn't ask for more.

The morning breakfast was good, with an excellent selection of coffee and various foods/fruits.

We are non-smokers and the only negative is that the entire 2nd floor corridor smelled of smoke since there were some smoking rooms on the floor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a great review. I am very glad your first experience with us was so awesome. We look forward to seeing you again. Just so you know, we will be beginning a renovation in September, which will eliminate ALL smoking rooms!
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Firstly the front desk staff were real friendly and funny which can help to cheer up a drizzly Bellingham evening.The location is good with easy access. We found the Hotel to be quiet didn't notice any road noise or other guests. The breakfast was just O.K. The room was clean and good sized. The bed was good.Pet friendly.We found it to be a good value for price and would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
We are so glad to hear that you found our staff so friendly and funny. We do hope they made your drizzly Bellingham stay more fun. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we do appreciate being able to hear about all stays.
Campbell River, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I flew out of Bellingham airport for the first time. We drove to Bellingham and stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn Express.

The Good:
This hotel is very well located being within walking distance to Bellis Fair Mall, Olive garden as well as other restaurants.
Our check in was fast and our room was comfortable and quiet. The breakfast in the morning offered plenty of choice and was quite good.
A taxi to and from the airport was included in the room rate.
We had paid for the park and fly rate as we were flying to Phoenix and it was great being able to leave our vehicle in a secure place til we returned.

The Bad:
We found large clumps of long black hair both in the bathtub and on the tub surround wall. This was not just a hair or two, we're talking CLUMPS!
We reported this to management upon checkout and they gave us 20.00 off of our bill. I think that compensation could have been better but it was better than nothing.Other than the hair, the room appeared clean.

In spite of the housekeeping problem I would recommend this hotel as there were many more pluses than minuses.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank KLtravelbug
HIEBellingham, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
We apologize that you found clumps of hair in your bathroom and that we did not meet yours or our expectations for cleanliness. I have spoke with the housekeeping manager about this incident, so we can be sure this doesn't happen again. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate all reviews!
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I hate to write such a bad review, but it is true. This hotel is NOISY. You can hear every 'creak' as people walk around, and every noise from your neighbors and the hallway. VERY HARD TO SLEEP. I was on the top floor (3), and it sounded like i had neighbors upstairs. Really bad.

I noticed that every time i took a step in my own room, i made noise. In my many years of travel, i have never experienced a problem like this. In hindsight, i have noticed that others shared a similar experience here on TripAdvisor. There must be a serious problem with the construction.

Other that that, parts of the hotel are very tired. Hallway carpets are dirty and dark. Bathrooms are original, and very dated. That being said, everything is CLEAN.

THe breakfast offering was nice, but there was limited seating.

I probably wont be back to this property when i return for work...the noise was just too much!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
HIEBellingham, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you did not have a peaceful stay at our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to leave us such an honest review.
Sidney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stay here every time I go to Bellingham the rooms are clean and beds are fantastic The front desk staff are awesome, always ready to help you.Although there're is no restaurant in the hotel they have great continental breakfast.I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
HIEBellingham, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review. We are glad you visit us everytime you return to Bellingham, thank you for your loyality.
Washington State
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Summary: My stay was just an overnight for business. I got in late, and left on the early side. I'd go back, as it suited my needs, and it was clean, quiet, had a safe place to park, and while I think it was a tad overpriced, it seems like it was close to the market rate. Its Internet/Wifi was not useable for me for any purpose, not email, not Google; it was much slower than glacially slow.

Pros: very firm bed & nice soft pillows. The beds are VERY well made. In most hotels, the undersheet comes undone just by looking at it, but the undersheet at this hotel stayed put for the whole night. I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel before where the bedsheets actually fit the bed and stayed where they belonged through an entire night, so this hotel performed well above expectations. The bed was a bit firm for me, though, and I like a firm bed. The bathroom was clean (A- grade), but the bathtub could have used a quick double-check. Nothing serious; more of an imperfection than an issue. The decor is fine, and the room lacked a couch, though it had two desk-chairs and an office chair with casters. It had a nice big LCD TV, a good-sized fridge, a coffee maker, and some popcorn and similar things, all of which looked good, but I never used any of them.

Cons: I had some issues getting the AC tuned to a comfortable spot. I had to turn it up to full blast to stay comfortable, but then it got too cold; as a result, I did not get a great night's sleep (maybe it was just stress, I don't know), though the blankets were enough to keep me OK. The floors were clean, but the structure of the floors felt spongy, not firm. The walls were not thick, so I could hear my neighbors, but it was not annoying, even though I am sensitive to noise. When I turned the AC on, I could no longer hear my neighbors, which was good. I was fortunate to have good neighbors, so I did not have a problem here, but I can imagine less considerate neighbors being an issue. My room was near the stairwell, and while I was never awakened or disturbed by it, that door slams like a thunderclap. I can see this being a real issue if your room is close to that door. The free wifi was a farce. It took a few minutes just to load the login screen. It was too slow to use Google, check email, or use it at all. Don't advertise it if it is not even minimally useable.

Conclusion: I am picky about the hotels I stay in. It needs to be quiet, in an area where parking is not an issue, and clean. So, this hotel met my criteria. It was clean, my car was safe, my neighbors did not bother me, and I had a peaceful night in a very well-made bed. I am being nitpicky in this review, but I was quite satisfied with my stay, and I'd go back. I think, for the money, it would be hard to do much better. All I'd do is demand a room very far away from the stairway. Breakfast was free and OK.

Room Tip: Stay far away from the stairwells. I was on the top floor, which I'd suggest, since I can imagin...