“Wonderful surprise!”

Holiday Inn Express Bellingham
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Bellingham
Reviewed February 11, 2008

The contrast to our experience at another facility in Bellingham last year was heartening. I had lost faith in our ability to find a safe and comfortable harbor.

I was booked for a day surgery procedure and since we live some distance from the medical center, we wanted to stay the night nearby. I had phoned three other facilities before I phoned Holiday Inn Express. We had several criteria that seemed to be difficult to have met - although none are all that unusual in my estimation. 1) I am moderately disabled from arthritis and find myself especially vulnerable when I am to have a medical procedure. I wanted a ground level room 2) We wanted a unit to which we could bring some simple food that we could keep cold and microwave when needed. Therefore, we wanted a microwave and a small refrigerator in the room. 3) We have an old (bigger than 25 pound) well behaved (in fact, perfect), dog, and do not leave him at home when we are away. I guess you could say that two of the three travelers were "special needs" types. 4) We needed internet access in the room. Holiday Inn Express Bellingham was able to meet our every need without hesitation. Because of my general anxiety about the procedure and the aftermath, I needed to feel confident and comfortable about our lodging, at least. It helped to find such cooperation from the first phone call to saying goodbye.

The team at Holiday Inn Express Bellingham were welcoming, accommodating, and competent. We arrived early in town, and decided to drive to the hotel so we would know exactly where it was located. We asked - but did not expect - to check in early to to allow us to store our bags in the room - and they graciously were able to accommodate us as a room was vacant. When we did return post procedure, it was wonderful for me to be able to just stumble in the door and collapse without having to deal with luggage.

The complimentary breakfast was phenomenal! Far more complete and tasty than any I have before experienced. They offered hot foods (cheese omelets, sausage gravy and biscuits, bacon, sausage) as well as a diverse assortment of cereals, pastries, yogurt, juice, coffee and tea. The food was well prepared, high quality well attended, and actually tasty. So nice on a cold stormy morning.

This pet welcoming facility actually has a grassy "walking" area behind the building and supplies bags for clean-up and a bin for disposal.

I am sure I am forgetting to mention other positive aspects of this stay but maybe the most important is the sense of "yes" in the staff rather than "no - we don't do/have that". Every staff person including we encountered smiled, greeted us and asked how they could help.

I am most impressed and will gladly stay in this "Inn" in the future. In fact, we are planning a weekend in the spring wherein we will simply go and stay and wander about Bellingham. A real treat!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank burnabytraveler

Reviewed December 30, 2007

We stayed for one night in this hotel as we were waiting to board the Alaska Ferry. It allowed pets which was a suprise.

The hotel was beautiful, the beds were great, and the rooms very nice and very clean. They offered a breakfast in the morning which was great.

We arrived early, before normal check in time and they gave us our room anyway. The staff at check in was very nice and helpful. They provided us directions to a couple of off leash dog parks so we could let our lab run before he was on the boat for a week.

I will stay there again when I ever get to Bellingham!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RN2travel2
Reviewed November 25, 2007

Just returned from 2 day stay at Holiday Inn Express during Thanksgiving.
Room was very spacious and clean. Beds were excellent after 5 1/2 hours of driving. Would rate beds as tops with 4 comfortable pillows per queen bed.
Bathroom showed some aging in the gout on the tile but still was cleaned very thoroughly by staff. The one thing the bathroom could have used was a fan. Found it odd there wasn't an exhaust fan but minor problem of mirrors fogging up.
The continental breakfast was good and an ample supply of food to meet anyone's desire.
There was a pool but we never got a chance to use it.
The staff were all friendly and were all very polite and courteous.
The only reason I didn't give it an Excellent mark it was somthing they really don't have control over was coming out the morning we left and seeing the car parked in front of us with their side window busted out. When I had parked it the previous night I had an ill feeling about parking it down towards the end of their parking lot. It is a distance away from the front doors of the hotel and in a semi darkened area. The thought did occur to me how easy it would be for someone to break in a car down at this isolated location. But thinking it was very cold that night and what is the odds someone would be prowling that particular night in this particular hotel parking lot. Duh. Sure enough I am loading our van the next morning and I see the couple picking broken glass off their front seats. This is the start of Christmas shopping and alot of guests possibly have packages in car so they are tempting to a thief.
So once again if you have that odd feeling about leaving your vehicle there you should act on it. I should have parked it down the street in a more lit area.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank crosscheck17
Reviewed September 27, 2007

Hotel was good except for the wireless internet. It was the pits! In 2 days was never able to log on. Everyone else was having problems either in their rooms or the common areas. Had to go to nearby hotel and tap into their wireless. Totally unacceptable! Will not stay here again till they get this fixed.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank pilotjason
Reviewed September 23, 2007

It would have been a typical Holiday Inn experience had it not been for the bed. It was a king bed and we kept rolling to the middle! I'm sure they don't have many beds like that one.

Otherwise, the hotel was in a good location and looked good from the outside. We didn't try the indoor pool but did see people in it as it is overlooked by the breakfast area.

They have a courtyard with tables, again just off the dining area and I was impressed that smokers would brave such low morning temperatures.

Our room was clean, the typical Holiday Inn Express breakfast was good and we used the free internet access. We paid $119.23 including tax.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank twasbrillig4
Reviewed September 22, 2007

Can't say enough great things with this place. We were out for a wedding and found that Bellingham will be in the area that will be closest to the ceremony and reception areas. Loved the linens and beddings and a bonus would be the complimentary breakfast. True, the food isn't the greatest but hey, it's free! Our check in/check out was a breeze (maybe it helped that we have a frequent flyer card) and get this, after we filled out the feedback sheet, we actually got an acknowledgement/thank you letter from them. Now, that's a first! ;) It was summer when we went there but for the price we paid - it sure was a steal!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flowerdrumsong
Reviewed September 13, 2007

I hadn't stayed in a Holiday Inn for many years, so I wasn't sure what to expect. We booked this particular one for the night before an early flight on Skybus at Bellingham Airport.

It was decent--clean, fairly modern, good-sized room. I really appreciated how quiet the room was, after a week staying in noisier hotel rooms. Outside our windows were trees. Breakfast was OK; donuts and pastries were rather yucky, though.

My main problems with this hotel were the incorrect pizza delivery information in our room (we were hungry! but the pizza place didn't exist anymore) and the crib they brought in for our daughter was horrible. It was like a metal prison crib on wheels. She barely slept, it was so uncomfortable, and therefore we didn't sleep either.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family