“Mixed Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Fountain Bistro - CLOSED

The Fountain Bistro
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Location was the former Kentucky Fried Chicken in the Fountain District in Bellingham, WA.
washington state
“Mixed Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Unlike many of the prior tripadvisor reviews, I had a very good experience as far as service was concerned. I went for breakfast where you have to order at the counter but then they bring the food to your table. The woman I gave my order to was very friendly, patient, and helpful as I explained it was my first visit and asked a few questions. Likewise, the woman who delivered my meal to my table was friendly and made sure to point out where I could help myself to water if I wanted any. I also liked the feel of the restaurant. It has kind of a funky eclectic feel - still has some of the old booths from KFC along with new decor. There is even a photo of the Colonel on the wall which made me chuckle. It looks like the small outdoor seating section is nice. What keeps me from caring whether or not I return is that the food was just ok. I ordered a latte and a breakfast sandwich. When I was brought my latte it was in a paper cup and she explained that they'd run out of the 20 oz cups they normally use for diners. As there was only one other table at the time I wondered why they would be out of cups?? The sandwich was ok - pros were the bread, which is made by a local company, and they cooked the bacon crispy as I asked. The con is that it was quite bland. I also ordered a scone to take with me which was good but not exceptional. With so many other choices in Bellingham, this one just didn't make the cut for me.

• Visited December 2013

Alexandria, VA
“Comfortable and reliable neighborhood restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We have had eaten here many times while visiting family in Bellingham and have always enjoyed a tasty meal in a comfortable setting. The bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado sandwiches are a favorite, the sweet potato fries are superb (although the option for fresh salad to accompany sandwiches is a welcome option), and the hamburgers are the best in Bellingham. Vegetarian options are also very good, as are the daily quiches. A good choice of wines by the glass is available, including a sturdy red "plonk" served in a carafe that contains one and a half glasses: why don't more restaurants offer this great choice?

The setting is relaxed and inviting, service is friendly, and the live music a welcome addition on many evenings. Breakfast and brunch are also excellent, making this a great find for a casual meal at an affordable price in a cozy and comfortable setting.

• Visited November 2013
NW Washington Coast
“No Falafel, please!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

The food and service here is inconsistent. We have a few remarkably delicious sandwiches, with good local breads and good service. Sometimes the service is not so good. Today's issue is the Falafel, on the sandwich menu, which is something I normally love. I will not make the mistake of ordering that here again. This is not Falafel. It was three very dried-up golf-ball size pieces of over-fried Falafel. These were sitting on something they called Pita bread, but it was thick and far too 'chewy' to be Pita bread. If you made your Pita bread very thick and left it out on the counter to dry for a day, this would be it. The Falafel, by the way is served open-face, you cannot pick this sandwich up. Now when the waitress tells you, "You are going to need your knife," you know something is wrong here. Neither Falafel nor Pita bread should require a knife to cut into bites. Dear Fountain: your fries are great some of your other sandwiches are great, leave the Falafel to chefs of Mediterranean ancestry. Please. In any other situation I would have sent this back to the kitchen, but in the company at my table, I just could not do so.

• Visited November 2013
Bellingham, Washington
“Good food great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Love love love this place, great food coming out of there! The servers are fabulous and the atmosphere is outstanding

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank JoAnne D
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Great breakfast place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Very pleased with our food and the service. Just popped in while looking for a place to eat. Not at all consistent with other reviews. Many families & couples coming in after church who appeared to be repeat customers. The building is a former KFC, which is unrecognizable as such. Nice interior redesign. Pleasant seating outdoors when weather permits.

• Visited August 2013