“Blackened Catfish - yum!” 4 of 5 stars

Bayou on Bay
Ranked #42 of 426 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: American, Bar, Cajun & Creole, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: http://www.bayouonbay.com/
washington state
“Blackened Catfish - yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I went here for the first time with a friend who had been numerous times. She said it was "hit or miss" with both good and not so good meals. She was up for going back and giving it another shot. I'm pleased to say that our meal was quite good. We both had the blackened catfish sandwich with sweet potato fries. They also had a good local (Kulshan) beer on tap which was nice.

I gave this a four instead of five for two reasons. One is that the fish portion could have been a little more generous. The other reason is that our waiter never checked back with us to see how/if we liked the meal until after we were almost finished. I used to be a waitress and one thing I learned is vital is to check with your customers right away. If something isn't right it's too late to find out after the meal is done.

That being said, I would definitely go back. Would like to try more of the menu items.

• Visited May 2014

Vancouver, Canada
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

This restaurant is in the older part of Bellingham and has great character with the quirky decor and floors. The food was outstanding! We had oyster shooters, crab cakes, the special which was shrimp and steak and a classic - shrimp and grits. Each dish tasted so good and also different from the other one. We had a bit of a wait to get in but they took our number and called us when our table was ready which was great because we could wander down the street and look at some great murals on the walls. Once we were seated, the service was quick and efficient. We will definitely go back!

• Visited February 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
“Really love the food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

They are closed on Mondays!!! If you love Cajun style meal, this is a place to go. Reasonably priced for generous portions.

Visited January 2014
Bellingham, Washington
“Right on the corner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The first time I ever ate frog legs was at the Bayou and they weren't so bad! I think we've tried just about every meal on the menu and I've never had a bad one. I love the bar area, as well, where you can just scootch up to the bar and hang your jacket on the hangers underneath. It's a great place to stop for some food and a drink or two before heading to Wild Buffalo for whatever show they have going on that night.

• Visited March 2014
Bainbridge Island, WA
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

When my son suggested Bayou on the Bay, I said I wasn't that crazy about Cajun food but I am sure glad we tried it anyway as there's a variety of dishes on the menu, not all Cajun. I thought the food was delicious. Had the special of the day, a white fish that was prepared perfectly. My son and his girlfriend have been several times and have never had a dish they weren't happy with. The service was awesome with very friendly and attentive wait staff - no one has the "it's not my job/table" attitude - I love that in a restaurant. I thought it was a fun place. Give it a try.

• Visited March 2014