New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Bayou on Bay

Bayou on Bay
Ranked #46 of 429 Restaurants in Bellingham
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: http://www.bayouonbay.com/
Bellingham, Washington
“Spicy With Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stopped in for dinner, as we were looking for something other than our usual haunts and it had been quite awhile since eating there. I had the regular (carnivore) jambalaya, and my partner had the vegetarian version. Both were very spicy, flavorful, and in large portions. We took some home, and the leftovers were even better the next day. A Caesar "side" salad was enough for two, crunchy, and fresh. The cornbread is different and tastes as if made with buttermilk, so it has a tart finish. Our server (Sam) was great. When our bread pudding arrived, it was still a bit cool, so he hustled it back for more warming and made sure we were happy with our entire experience. All in all, it was a very pleasant evening, and we won't wait so long to return.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Maple Ridge, Canada
“Fantastic food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I ate here during a shopping trip to Bellingham, and we very pleased,
We had jambalaya, the oyster po boy, and frogs legs as an appy .
The food was fantastic, although I wouldn't have the legs again. They were great, just not my cup of tea.
We are very picky eaters, and are often disappointed with restaurant food, but we would definitely eat here again.
Great service, reasonable prices, and fantastic food.
Take Care
Mike

Roseburg, Oregon, United States
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Doing some sightseeing around town with my father-in-law when we decided it was time for lunch. Luckily we ended up near this area and decided to try the bayou. SO glad we did. Husband had the Mouffaletta with mac n cheese, father in law has the oyster po' boy with gumbo, and I had the catfish po'boy with the house salad. All were delicious! Juicy meats, soft fresh breads, and my house salad was above par for a "side salad". Apple straws and nuts with a vinaigrette dressing. Not what I'd normally order, but was so pleasantly surprised :) and our waitress was friendly, polite, and completely aware of our meals studios and when we needed refills.

Carnation, Washington
“Really Excellent Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were up in Bellingham visiting family and happened upon this gem.
Good Muffaletta
Even better fries.
Better Gumbo!
Better, yet, the Hush Puppies!
And hands-down the Best Alligator Ever!
I have had alligator before a couple times. As an appetizer. This was an appetizer. That I could eat as a meal!

• Visited November 2013
“Horrible food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We came for lunch. I ordered pork sandwich with sweet potato chips: a perfect example how to use good ingredients and destroy them to the up most through the process of cooking. The sandwich was stuffed with overcooked pork, toped with some brown sauce and cheddar cheese. It looked very messy. I am sweet potato lover.I just adore this sweet different taste of them but these chips were melted in red paprika with spicy something and lots of salt completely destroying the original taste. I have to add I was really hungry but I just couldn't eat it. It might be also I am European and still after more than 10 years of traveling to USA can't understand why simple food has to go so bad.