“The Worst Place I Ever Stayed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Bellingham

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Bellingham
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Bellingham
Seattle
“The Worst Place I Ever Stayed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2007

Last Minute Stay any I wish that I never did.The place was terrible,flat pillows (only two of them),you could fill the springs in the mattress,had to go too the office every time I needed ice(FOR TOKENS).HAD A SMOKING ROOM BUT NO ASHTRAYS,THE ROOM STUNK(BUT NOT LIKE CIGARETTES)JUST A STALE SMELL,i would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — they had a vacacy
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hortwon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Vancouver, BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2007

We needed somewhere cheap to stay in Bellingham last night. I always book into the Holiday Inn Express (around $100), which is a fabulous place, but was on more of a budget and managed to get this place for $49.
I was not expecting the Ritz, or even a Holiday Inn.
Check in was quick and easy and the girl told us the pool would be open really soon, so she put is in a room right by the pool, which was a great location and we had easy access to parking,etc... There was a guy fixing the hot tub, but the pool was full and looked ready to go.
Well this was not the case - he would not allow anyone to come into the pool area while he was fixing the hot tub. HUH? The hot tub is EMPTY, parts all over the place - do you think we are going to try and go in it? He locked the gate and said no. My daughter was disappointed, but it wasn't a huge deal.
We went into the room and the smell of pine sol was OVERWHELMING. Im not talking a small smell - Im talking knock you over and feel sick it was so strong. We just kept the door open for a bit and hoped to air it out a bit.
It was really hot out, so we put the air con on. It would come on for about 1 min and shut off. It wasn't on auto or anything - it just kept shutting off. We had to keep going over and turning it off and on. Very annoying.
The room was 'ok' - Nothing fancy, and I wasn't expecting fancy. It seemed clean enough at first glance. Had a tv that got all the premium channels, so my 11 yr old was happpy - she could watch the Disney Channel and nothing else mattered to her at this point. We were going to out late that night to see a show, so we just rested for a while. After a while I could not smell the pine sol, as we were just used to it I guess. The room could use some moulding around the baseboards and a few touchups, but livable for one short night.
When we arrived there were 4 voicemails for someone else from last Wednesday, and I was surprised these were not cleaned off.
The bathtub was kinda gross - it appeared dirty,but it was just so worn out that the finish was coming off it. Again - I could handle just standing in it for a quick shower, but would not bathe a child in it - ick.
The wireless was up and down and the next morning it didn't work at all.
No blow dryer in the room, so bring your own.
We got back late from our show around 11:30pm. We watched some tv and went to sleep around 12:30am, figuring we could sleep in.
Now here is where it got bad.... 6:30am my phone rings..... startled me out of a deep sleep. "GOOD MORNING, THIS IS YOUR SCHEDULED WAKE UP CALL". HUH??????? Ok... now I was ticked....I mean REALLY ticked. I phoned the front office and it rang about 15 times before some guy answered in a sleepy voice. I asked him 'Why the bleep (insert choice word here from angry lady woken up!) did we just get a wake up call?'.
His answer "Oh, let me check - yah you weren't suppossed to have one, but sometimes our machine just does that".
SOMETIMES YOUR MACHINE JUST HAPPENS TO PHONE PEOPLE AT 630AM!!??!!
So we were startled awake and tried to get back to sleep, and I think we dosed off for about 45 mins. My daughter was hungry and went to get a 'free muffin' at 8:30am. There were none left. I got showered and dressed and went over. They didn't have any out, but did have some in the back for people who asked. What the heck? We have to 'ask' for our free 'breakfast'. Which was a cellophane wrapped muffin, but enough to get something into a kid's stomach to start the day.
While getting this I asked about the wake up call and the girl said "Oh you know - someone was staying in that room for like 2 months and always had wake up calls - I bet it never got turned off.....geez im really sorry.". So I asked how I would be compensated for their mistake. She said she personally couldn't authorize anything. I asked to see the manager - well guess what? SHE is the manager! Yet SHE, the manager, is not authorized to do anything. What we had to do was fill out a complaint form (and they must get a LOT of complaints at this place, because they had a stack of these forms right beside the check in area ready to go), and she would fax it to the head office (Im guess Joe Blow owner at his house) and if they felt I should get a refund on the room, they will mail me a check.
I told her I am happy to fill out the form. I also told her I would be happy to post on tripadvisor, and all other review sites I can find. I also told her I would be contacting AAA, since they are endorsed by them. She then says "Oh did you pay by credit card? Let me see what I can do for you!". Well I noticed the charge has gone through on my card, so guessing she didn't do anything. I will await 'head office', which is probably some guy in his garage up the street at his house, since this is not a chain.
I could overlook the sickly pine sol, the gross bathtub, the guy not letting people swim while he worked (still trying to figure that one out...), but I cannot overlook a wakeup call at 6:30am because 'sometimes their machine does that'.
There are lots of places in Bellingham to stay - SKIP THIS ONE! Spend the extra $ and go to the Holiday Inn down the street!

• Liked — It had good tv channels
  • Disliked — Pretty much EVERYTHING!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank liz413413
Portland OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

A last minute visit to Linuxfest NW led me to the Travel House Inn. Clean, nice, not noisy.

Friendly office folks. Signs of renovation were visible (new light fixtures stacked up in office) but didn't affect the experience.

Comp coffee & tea was nice; although the muffin do jour was cell wrapped and small, the Greek restaurant next door served a huge and good breakfast.

Bed, desk, mattress, sheets above average for a below average price.

WiFi was OK, although signal strength was low... but my room was on the outside and as far from the office as could be. Restaurant's WiFi, BTW, did not work (security configuration issue).

I'd bring my wife here if we visit Bellingham together again (and she's fussy).

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Spokane, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

We had the WORST motel experience EVER at The Travel House Inn in Bellingham, WA. We stayed there on Friday night, April 13th and only got 2 hours of sleep! The room next to us and above us were full of loud drunks. The room next to us had 4 males and 1 female (early 20s) drinking and talking and laughing very loudly until 11:30pm. At 11:30pm they went to the bar to drink some more and the only sleep we had was between midnight and 2am when they were at the bar. We woke up at 2am to hear the drunks yelling and laughing, which turned into a fight at 2:40 pm right outside our door. I called the manager which only resulted in the obnoxious ghetto-gangster-looking people going into their room and being just as loud. Finally they all must have passed out at 3:30am. Just as we thought we might get back to sleep, their buddies in the rooms upstairs arrived back at the motel, slamming doors and talking loudly until 4:30am !!!

To the motel's credit, the rooms are very clean and the staff friendly. The price is very good, but unfortunaly, it is low enough to attract the local partiers.

• Liked — Low Price
  • Disliked — Noisy!!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Diamondwolf
wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2007

Based on review and price I selected the Travel House Inn for one night stay/3 adults. The room was clean. They do not use fitted sheets. The flat sheets come undone overnight.

Though a non-smoking room, there was a slight smoky smell that got very strong in the bathroom. Their was mold in the bathroom and the toilet handle needed jiggling to hold water.

On my way up to the room, walking by another room, I saw it filled with empty bud bottles. The couple in the room next door carried on a conversation ALL NIGHT LONG, so my sleep was not sound.

Otherwise was just OK. I would stay here again (it was cheap and clean) but would make sure my room was a bit away from any partying.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — bud
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
Comox, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

We stayed here last July and were satisfied enough that we chose to book again on our way down to Seattle to see the Real Madrid soccer game.

We had room 206 - in the south building facing the pool - right next to the elevator. There is some traffic noise but certainly not enough to keep you awake. Getting to this hotel is very easy - especially if you are heading south on I-5.. Signage is great. I think it would be more complicated if you are going north.

Check-in and check out were easy. Little to no waiting. There is lots of free parking and we were able to park where we could see our car right from our room.

I liked that the sink was separate from the rest of the bathroom. Lots of toiletries were supplied. This room seemed a little more updated than the one we stayed in last year - maybe they've done some renos.

There are lots of restaurants in the area, including one right next door. You are only about 2 minutes drive from Bellis Fair Mall.

The price couldn't be beat. We had the AAA rate and for two adults and two children we paid $49 US, plus tax (about $54.00 total).

We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!

• Liked — Price and Easy Access
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank Comoxbox
seattle, washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2005

We stayed in the Travel House Inn in Bellingham for a weekend. We were looking for a simple, inexpensive, clean and convenient lodging option for our 2 night stay in Bellingham while we ran in race. Also, it was important to find a hot tub to rest our weary legs after the race. We found all of the above at the Travel House Inn. The location is within minutes of downtown Bellingham, and 12 minutes of the quaint Fairhaven district. I had originally looked into lodging in the Fairhaven, and downtown area but Fairhaven only had a couple of expensive hotels and downtown was booked. Instead, we opted to stay for 55.00 a night at the Travel House Inn (no website yet) - it worked out well since we had a hot tub to relax our aching leg muscles, and a decent bed to sleep in. One note: bring earplugs, the walls are thin, for a few dollars you can buy earplugs and sleep quietly. This place is easy to find - next to the freeway - cheap, clean, close to downtown restaurants and Haggen grocery store (take a left on Meridian and drive 7 minutes to downtown), has a Greek restaurant next door and a outdoor pool and hot tub. If you're looking for decent, cheap lodging - a place to rest your head without breaking the bank then this works well. If you want to stay in a newer, indoor corridor motel, call the Rodeway Inn first, it's next to the Travel House Inn but it costs a bit more. We mainly wanted a place for the weekend that felt safe, clean and convenient to the other neighborhoods of Bellingham. Travel House Inn worked fine for us. The hot tub was the best. In the afternoon, head downtown (going left on Meridian street that the motel is on) and go to the Boundary Bay Brewery, or, explore the Fairhaven shops and restaurants (also a short 4 minute drive from downtown). If you have more time, drive along Chuckanut drive for the lovely San Juan Island views. Have a nice glass of wine and dessert at Village Books in Fairhaven (great view of the bay and not busy like the other restaurants). In summary, stay at the Travel House Inn or the Rodeway Inn, save money and explore Bellingham. Avoid the dull Bellis Fair Mall area (on the other side of the freeway, close the the motel). Go West!

3 Thank travelpalz