“Pray that Kit is no longer the manager” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Bellingham

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Bellingham
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Bellingham
Houston
“Pray that Kit is no longer the manager”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Upon making my reservation and also at check in, I requested a quiet room. No partying guests near me, top floor (3rd) is fine. Room near the freeway? No problem--with a little imagination, the constant highway traffic can sound almost like the sound of the ocean on a beach.

They had plenty of occupancy available (per the clerk and my own observations). Instead, I got a 2nd floor room, with guests in the room above me...I could hear their heavy footsteps all night until they went to bed around midnight. Also, my "quiet room" was situated overlooking a late night sports bar parking lot--loud, drunk conversations, including a 3:00 AM conversation between two patrons standing outside one's car with the radio blaring and the door open. I finally went out on the cold balcony in my bath robe and told them to take their party elsewhere. But, by then I was wide awake at 3:00 AM.

I got very little sleep that night and losing my sleep disrupted one of my two planned meetings in Bellingham the following day, because I had to cancel the 2nd due to fatigue. I changed rooms the following day (more hassle). Because I was given a short window to make my room change (30 minutes), which included a level change from 2nd to 3rd, I inadvertently left some audio tapes in the first room but I did not notice until I was flying back home out of state.

Upon my return home, I called and front desk staff referred me to the manager, Kit, as she apparently keeps them under a tight managerial control and they are not permitted to make decisions like sending my tapes to me. One of the staff said she drives right by the post office, but "would not be permitted to do me the favor of mailing it for me via the P.O." due to the iron hand of Kit.

Per Kit, my only options would be to arrange for UPS or FedEx to ship my tapes to me ($27.00 to 35.00). Bear in mind that Bellingham has multiple Post offices and one is within a mile or two of the hotel. Kit would not budge and mail it for me, even though she could have put the cost on my credit card, plus I promised to pay a $5.00 tip (to anyone who would mail them for me).

Ultimately I had a relative of mine pass through Bellingham two weeks later and she agreed to stop by the motel and send it by US mail ($5.66 total cost). Bear in mind that the size of the package was equal to four decks of playing cards bound together, though much lighter.

If I had not had to change rooms, this never would have happened. But Kit disavowed ANY responsibility for it and apparently cared little about keeping a happy return customer. Also--when I first made my reservation, the price I was quoted was about 8 dollars less than when I arrived late and tired for my first night. The clerk ultimately managed to arrange a $3.00 credit, but stated she could go no higher; even the $3.00 was enough to put her standing with Kit in jeopardy.

While I appreciated her attempt to somewhat offset the overcharge it was she who selected the bogus "quiet" room for me and who helped to perpetuate the lame customer service of this place.

So, if you take the risk of staying at the Econo Lodge, Bellingham, WA, just be aware that any problems that may arise and that could ruin your stay to some degree, are your fault. Any assistance from staff must ultimately be approved by Kit. And Kit is not your friend, plus she could not care less if you came back. She also could not care less if you post your complaints about your stay on the Trip Advisor website, just like I'm doing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank David F
Econolodge228, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Bellingham, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Regarding: David F
We are sorry that this guest’s stay at our hotel was unsatisfactory. He stayed with us almost 2 years ago, so it is impossible to recall exact details of his situation.
All of the staff believe in offering excellent customer service, and we make every effort to ensure that every guest has a comfortable and pleasant experience

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Scottsdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Remember first that this is an EconoLodge. Don’t expect anything except the basics. At this hotel, the basics were perfectly executed. This was obviously a room that had been recently remodeled and that made all the difference. Clean carpet, no strange smells anywhere, everything worked like new, because it was. I have been in many 5 star hotels that could not pass these tests. My son was here with a hockey team and we compared notes. His room had not been remodeled and that made all the difference. BTW, for both of us, the breakfast was excellent. Also, if you have a fear of heights, request a first floor room.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently remodeled room. First floor if you have a fear of heights.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ken4az
Central Saanich, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Check in was quick and friendly. Clear instructions were given for the location of the room. Parking was plenty & close. The room was large, adequately furnished and VERY clean. The drapes closed properly, kept out the light and the beds were comfortable. The room was quiet, although the hotel was quite full. The breakfast room is big with lots of tables and the breakfast was good. There is a bar/restaurant/casino next door with good food and prices.

Room Tip: Hotel is right next to freeway, but we could'nt hear it as we we were on the other side,
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gelli550
Cariboo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

On a family vacation and stayed one night on way south. We were travelling with our dog and they welcome pets with a gift box. The rooms are basic but clean. The hotel is near access to highway I5, and across street from the golf course. There is a large shopping mall nearby. The soundproofing between rooms is minimal.

Room Tip: rooms on higher floors facing I5 get a bit more noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Port Moody, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We arrived at the hotel late at night and were impressed with the hotel staff person on duty. We asked for a room on the main floor and our upgraded room was nice. The room was suite-like in size. Bed was comfortable, not typical for a economical hotel! This same staff member provided details about the reasonable-priced parking during our vacation, including the complimentary taxi to and from the airport! Overall, we were impressed with this property.

Room Tip: Ask about their upgraded rooms which are well worth the cost
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeorgetteMargaret
Port Alberni, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We have stayed here several times over the years, great location, close the the major routes, shopping, dining, etc. Good breakfast to start the day with, and clean rooms, good pub next door.good prices as well.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter, bottom rooms are a senior preference.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Vnacouver,BC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at the econo lodge on Feb 6. This was an overnight stay on our way to catch a flight out of Bellingham the next morning as well as parking our vehicle for the stay. Let me start by saying, I am not a fussy traveller, I weigh out the cost and the benefits when making a decision. I have never written a negative review yet (have submitted quite a few!) I did not expect a whole lot for the price, but certainly a little more than I got. What we did get was a room that had a mold smell to it, in a location that did not appear all that safe (in fact, to get ice you had to go to the front desk to get a "token" in order for you to get ice!). We were told to wait by our room for the shuttle (taxi) to take us to the airport, the driver was told to wait at the front of the hotel, needless to say, we waited outside for 10 mins before walking around to see where our shuttle was. Upon our return, we were told we had to call for shuttle, they could not prebook it (reasonable, incase of a delay), but we called right away and waited 25 mins for the shuttle! I would deinately not recommend this hotel,

Room Tip: There are no good rooms!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Bellingham hotels