“Yummy Food But Crabby Service”

Goldbergs' Famous Delicatessen
Ranked #36 of 540 Restaurants in Bellevue
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Seattle, Washington
“Yummy Food But Crabby Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

This place has a great menu, and the lack of other NY style deli places in this part of the country instantly sets it apart. But expect the NY attitude from the wait staff! Each time we come here from lunch, the service ranges from "only slightly crabby" to "downright surly." The speed of service and the tastiness of food makes up for it - so far. My favorite unusual combo is to order the Challah French Toast (to die for) with a side of Steak Fries. Great salty/sweet combo.

We've also ordered catering from this place for business lunches, and everything was well-received by our staff.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank EventPlanne R

Portland, Oregon
“As close to a NY Deli without being in NY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have been here several times over the years including my most recent trip and as always the food is consistent, good, and well valued for the amount you get. If you go bring your appetite. The owner is always there walking around and the place just has a great feel to it.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Stephen W
Bellingham, Washington
“Bubahla, your mother would want you should go there and have a little nosh.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was born and raised in West Los Angeles… I know more than just a little about Jewish Delis. Juniors, Sollys, Jerrys, Cantors, Factors, on and on. I’ve also had the opportunity to eat at several of the more famous NYC delis over the years. I can say without hesitation Goldbergs in Bellevue WA is very good.

The service is friendly, efficient and they went out of their way to help navigate a lengthy menu. I read most of the reviews here before going. I’m not sure why some have chosen to complain about the pork products on the menu. This is not a deli for the Orthodox among us. Also, they are open Saturday and the dairy is not segregated on the menu either, get over it. The food is terrific.

I had the stuffed cabbage. It is some of the best I’ve had. My daughter had the hot brisket sandwich and my wife the roast turkey. All were great. The pickles on the table were great and they kept them coming.

They also have a full bar with a decent selection and a nice assortment of sodas (pop as they call it up here).

Bubahla, your mother would want you should go there and have a little nosh. What could it hurt?

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Spencer M
Reno, Nevada
“As Good As it Gets For a West Coast Deli”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

As there are a dearth of any NY style delicatessens in the Pacific Northwest, Goldberg's is a find! They're located in a strip-mall in the Factoria area of Bellevue (BTW parking is horrible). However, once you're inside it's well worth it. Surprisingly large (lots of comfortable booths) and a full bar. We arrived just before noon and were seated right away, and by 12:30 they were full. Other reviews complained about service, but ours was very good. (Maybe they actually read these reviews and they have stepped it up.)
My husband had the pastrami on rye and LOVED it. I had brisket which was also very good. The sandwiches are huge; you could definitely split. Cole slaw and potato salad were....eh, just so-so (darn it). But the real star is the sandwich. We drove 50 miles to eat here and we will do it again.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Star333
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Service not so great - sandwiches are pretty good.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We came here for a quick dinner, nothing fancy. I ordered a burger because I was craving one and just wanted it cooked medium and to come with cheddar cheese. The boys ordered their usual stuff, which came out fine. My other half ordered a hot corn beef (west side story) on rye. His sandwich came out and looked delicious.

However, mine came out completely over-cooked. I took a couple of bites and it started to fall apart. There was no way I was going to eat that. I sat waiting on our server to come back for at least 15 minutes. He was nice, but extremely inattentive to our table. He paid more attention to his other tables. I'm not sure if it was because we had children, BUT the other tables did not have children with them.

SN: I'm sorry, but my family actually tips better than people who do NOT have children with them. In fact, we normally tip above the standard because being a server is a crap job - esp I know, I've held a few in my day. I will not tip above the standard if you are inattentive and act like you simply do not care whether we stay to eat or leave. Poor service because I have children with me is an extremely bad excuse.

So, our server did not ask how our food was, didn't check on us for at least 15 minutes after he brought the food. We had to flag him down just to get him to come back to our table so I could tell him the burger was awful and I wanted something else. I ordered the same thing as my other half. It was pretty good. I finished eating and we were on our way.

We might try this place again. I'm not sure we will though. Most of the time, when we give places a second chance, the second visit is always worse.

So, if you come here, don't order a burger. Stick with the sandwiches and you should be fine.

• Visited February 2013