“Good ramen”

Cuisines: Japanese
Seattle
“Good ramen”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I know my ramen pretty well and I think Kukai serves very good ramen. My husband also agrees. He had a shoyu ramen and I had a yuzu shio ramen. Both were delicious. The soup was light for ramen and very tasty. Some reviewers pointed out to the saltiness of the broth, but I think it is quite normal for ramen broth to have this much salt in it. Most people in Japan don't drink all of the soup anyway. The noodles were good - not too hard, not too soft. The egg on top was just perfectly boiled - white part is fully yet softly cooked and the yellow part oozing out. The egg was lightly seasoned with soysauce. The green vegetable on top was done just right also - crunchy yet properly cooked. The chashu was grilled after being sliced, which is unusual. It tasted good, but it seemed a tad dry to my taste. Perhaps Americans prefer it this way over soft and fatty chashu that you normally get with ramen in Japan. I asked for an extra topping of beansprouts and they were good. I think I would ask for some green onion topping next time. The server was pleasant and very attentive. I will definitely go back there and would recommend it to my friends.

Seattle WA
“Flavorful large Ramen”
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit. I ordered the Ramen with the traditional pork broth. Portion was huge and flavorful. Plenty of noodles. Service was excellent. I would highly recommend for a true ramen.

Paris
“Great Ramen Experience in Bellevue, WA”
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I love ramen and loving food and having lived in Asia for six years I think I can recognize good ramen! And this is a place where you can go and enjoy a great ramen experience! The broth is delicious (I tried the yuzu ramen) and the ramen themselves are very good. $11 the big bowl. My friend ordered the vegetable ramen (see picture), $10. Plenty of options and "toppings", if you feel like adding a few things!

Seattle, Washington
“Authentic Ramen”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The newly opened Kukai Ramen offers tasty and authentic ramen, nice decor, and good service. My favirote is Yuzu Ramen which has a hint of citrus. You can choose light or regular broth base. Love the hot boiling egg and almond pudding. I'm becoming a regular here. It's much more better than the Samurai Ramen in Seattle which is dirty and whose ramen is too salty.

• Visited April 2013
“Best in Town”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is an excellent restaurant located in eastern Bellevue. The ramen is very good and the soft boiled egg is rich and creamy and blends well with the special broth. As another writer stated, having the egg whole rather than sliced in two, adds to the pleasure of the soup.

I spoke with two Japanese businessmen at the next table and they said the food was authentic and the restaurant served probably the best ramen in the Seattle area.

Some comments state the restaurant is expensive. The truth is the ramen is possibly 30% more than a Vietnamese Pho place. However that is only a little extra to pay for the quality of the food at this restaurant.

It becomes a little crowded around noon time due to its popularity, but this is offset by efficient staff.

• Visited March 2013