“poor service, average food”

Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #205 of 553 Restaurants in Bellevue
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have frequented this restaurant in our neighborhood (Federal Way) and decided to try the Bellevue location since its closer to our family. The location is not ideal, tucked in an office/residential building. Parking was even more difficult, pulled into the wrong garage and was told it would not be validated (yes, that was my mistake). Tried to move the car following the restaurants suggestions only to end up in the same building again.
The restaurant was nearly empty and no one arrived to help us. Finally flagged someone down and was told we needed to wait for the other person in our party (who was currently in the car blowing a fuse at trying to park). Not a big deal... The chef was nice and friendly but the food seemed to be smaller portions than our local Tokyo steakhouse. I will say the steak was very tasty and cooked perfectly but the shrimp and calamari were just average. The waitress did not come back around during the meal. Usually we get ice cream included with our meal, not at this location. All in all I would not return to the Bellevue location, too many other restaurants that offer better service and are more accessible.

There are newer reviews for Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We had seen the neon lights from the interstate for some time, and realized it was this restaurant. It had a club like Vegas feel...which is okay. I'm sure our kids would of loved it if they would of been with us. The waitress was HORRIBLE. I complained twice, but nothing was really done about it. The drinks took over 30 minutes from the bar...I finally when up to the bar and got them ourselves. The waitress said later the bar was busy-they were not! She forgot our salads and when I asked about them she seemed peeved. I also asked for a spoon for my soup...I DO NOT drink soup from a bowl, sorry, just not my thing. She never brought it. The chef was average. Not as good as we've seen in other similar restaurants though. The food he cooked, was good. But as others have said, not quite as good as it should be for the price. This place would be fun after work, and you could take kids here if it's not too late. They'll be fascinated with the lights and bubbles. I hope you get better service than we did.*Funny thing is, there is a TripAdvisor sticker on the door that says it's recommended by TripAdvisor...not sure from what year though.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We went for lunch on a weekday, the place was empty. As it is a huge space, rather dark with coloured lights, it took some getting used to. We went for the teppanyaki (tableside grilling), and ordered filet mignon and shrimps and fried rice (extra). The soup (included) was OK, and after some ten minutes waiting (the time was needed to get the hot plate in the middle of the table hot enough) came the chef. He brought all the ingredients on a little trolley and started a show of jugglery with his knife and spatula – it was absolutely amazing. Somehow between all the knife twirling, fireworks and onion volcano the vegetables (mushrooms, zucchini, onion and bean sprouts), rice and the meat got ready, and we were each served a generous portion. On the side a dark brown sauce for the meat and a pink sauce for the shrimps. The filet mignon was tender and juicy; the shrimps were OK, the sauces excellent. At just the right moment the waitress appeared and we could order a cold draught Sapporo beer. It was a nice and amusing lunch, and at $35 each we thought it was worth it.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Went there for a business dinner. Was quite entertained by the chef, had a good time, and the food was alright - shrimps were great, but chicken was dry and tasteless, so I'll give it a 3.

The only disappointment was due to my own ignorance - I've ordered a blackberry italian soda from the drink menu, thinking it'll be some sort of sweet bubbly thirst-quenching drink, however I've received a large glass full of whipped cream with a thin layer of what looked like cherry jam in the bottom.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

It's not a bad place but I have being in a lot of places better than this. The atmosphere is good, is cozy, big...but the food is average. Prices are good, considering the location and the elegance of the place.