“Excellent food, interesting atmosphere, adequate service”

Purple Cafe and Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Purple Cafe and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 602 Restaurants in Bellevue
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: NE 4th St.
Description: Purple Café and Wine Bar pairs a global wine selection with a menu that combines classic American styles with seasonal Northwest ingredients.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Dined here with a group of seven. We had reservations and had to wait for quite awhile, but we were seated in one of the separate areas surrounded by racks of wine bottles. It was dark and rustic. Which is really cool unless you need reading glasses and light to read the menu. We did have to get out the readers and the iphones with light apps to see what was on the menu. A little embarrassing. A couple more negatives, the waiter was a bit pretentious and didn't really answer our questions. The chairs were very tall and he had a hard time serving us without awkwardly reaching in front of people. But while there were some negatives in atmosphere, the food was undeniably delicious. They have quite a few choices of wine flights, which was fun. Don't miss the baked brie appetizer. The apple walnut stilton salad was excellent, as was the quinoa arugula salad. The fig and gorgonzola pizza was very tasty and rich. i would definitely return.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Cheerful service at a table among the floor to ceiling wine cellar and a wide menu of wines by the bottle, glass or “flight”. We had a flight of California reds that included 2.5 ounce pours of Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Syrah and Cabernet. Dinner was excellent including a lamb shank falling off the bone and the very spicy shrimp and frites. Highly recommended.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

very nice place, nice food and a very busy place.
it was not expensive as well.
I will go back for sure

1  Thank lapistola
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been to Purple several times with different groups of people and have enjoyed myself every time. The atmosphere is sophisticated casual, perfect for a nice dinner out with a date, friends or a larger group. I love the decor, dark enough to be intimate but not gloomy, rustic/gothic accents but not overdone so as to feel contrived. Sets a perfect tone, feels like anything goes when you're there and no reasonable group or behavior would be punished. You're clearly supposed to have a good time there, and that's how it feels when you enter. The food has always been exceptional. The appetizers we sampled were all delicious and well-portioned for sharing. The salads and entrees prepared nicely and very tasty. The lobster mac and cheese was a standout, as were the pork and steak dishes I had on other occasions. Perhaps the best part of the experience, the wine flights. Always thoughtfully collected and explained well by the servers, we made sure to order one (or several) every time we dined there. They were a lot of fun and very nice wines all around. Our servers and the other employees were fun and accommodating (at one point even taking requests for the background music and letting us sing along quietly). A great experience for us every time and I can't wait to go back when next out that way.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Great time with friends. Food is good here. The steaks are better than the seared ahi tuna.

Service was a bit slow but I guess because it was it late. We had to make reservations and was told 9:30 p.m. was the earliest they had that evening. When I got there I had to wait for another 10 minutes for a table, even though it wasn't that busy and I saw plenty of open tables so I'm not sure what the deal is. The bathrooms were pretty gross for a nice restaurant like this though. I would budget for about $50 per person when you eat here, dinner and drinks.

I recommend the Purple Cafe esp. the location in downtown Seattle!