“Just pay the money and get the Filet.”
Review of John Howie Steak

John Howie Steak
Reserve with OpenTable
John Howie Steak is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 591 Restaurants in Bellevue
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 112 th Ave NE
Transit: Bellevue transit center.
Description: John Howie Steak - a downtown Bellevue favorite. Located in the Bravern near 405 (freeway) off of 8th Ave. A great happy hour with a near famous cheeseburger, bar and lounge open till 11pm or midnight. Fine dining in the dining room. Lunch is quite reasonable ($12-$15 entreees) and delicious. Premium steakhouse for lunch meetings, dates or of course any occasion for dinner. Private dining rooms available as well. Catering available. A fine dining restaurant with more casual options for lunch, happy hour, the bar and lounge.
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Okay, this place is expensive. Ridiculously expensive. The top of the line Australian Wagyu Filet is like...80 bucks for a 4oz and $120 for the 6 oz. Just buck up and get the dammed thing. It's...ummm...astounding. Then add the Lobster Mashed Potatoes and chase it all with the Volcanic Chocolate Lava cake. Seriously good. While I haven't been in some months, I used to go quite regularly and, yeah, the service is--while attentive--slow. This is, arguably, the best steak I've ever tasted and, I've had some pretty amazing steaks on at least 4 Continents.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I love steak.

Historically, Daniels has been my favorite steakhouse. When John Howie opened, my wife and I gave it a try. We loved every aspect of it but the price - it's probably 1/3 more than Daniels. So we made JH our "annual" place - we typically go once a year for our anniversary - it is that special.

In only going there very occasionally, my opinion was that the food was great and the service was great - the vibe of the place is much fancier than Daniels. The service seemed much more attentive, the dining room fresher looking, always an "amuse-bouche" from the chef, etc. In terms of the food, I had a hard time deciding if Daniels was as good as JH... but had never eaten them both in a short enough time period to judge.

About 2 months ago we had the good fortune to eat Daniels and JH within a few days of each other. JH wins the food contest, hands down. And until my visit yesterday, JH also won the service category.

Yesterday, I took my work team there for a luncheon. Everything was great until the food came out. Three people in the group ordered the same dish, but one was medium, one med-rare, and one med-well. All the food came out, and the wait staff delivering it was clearly not sure which was which. There were something like 3 switches done as the food was being presented. After the third switch, one of the staff (who appeared to be "in charge") confidently indicated he'd gotten it right this time.

Well, when the team got a few bites into their food they realized they didn't get what they ordered - all the doneness levels were switched around. Since they'd each already started, they decided the food was still edible so just continued eating... but when you are paying so much for a meal don't you think you should get what you asked for?

After a few minutes, our server came by and asked specifically if everyone got what they ordered. We were honest - no we didn't, but we decided to keep eating. The server kind of shrugged her shoulders - no apology, no offer to fix it.

Fast forward to the check - you'd think they would have comped dessert or taken something off the bill for the food. Not at all - absolutely no acknowledgement of the issue.

Great steaks. Inconsistent service. Lack of accountability. How disappointing.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Dined here last year and left disappointed so when a friend chose this for this birthday I was bummed but.....SO glad I gave it a second shot!

Service was fantastic. The perfect amount of professional and friendly.

Food was awesome! I am a tried & true Daniel's fan but have to admit this filet was better. It was perfectly cooked and the taste was unreal.

A few other noteworthy items:
Spicy Habanero Butter Shrimp
Strawberry, English Pea and Marcona Almond Salad
Roasted Cauliflower with Green Olive Vinaigrette & Pistachio Nuts
Classic Vanilla Bean Crème Brulee

A few things that were decent not great:
Tableside Caesar- VERY fishy tasting
Roasted Jidori Chicken
Salted Caramel and Chocolate Ganache Tart

We also had the treat of trying their featured Kopi Luwak coffee. It was really pricey but the occasion was for celebrating so he went for it. It didn't disappoint but not sure I would spend $45 on a cup of coffee again.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

My brother and I decided to take my mother to John Howie in Bellevue for her 87th Birthday. What a great idea! The service was outstanding and the food scruptious. We had the Maine Lobster Salad appetizer which was well worth it. What flavor! Then mom and I split the "Oscar Style" Filet...highly recommend...and it was very nice of them to let us split because there was more than enough for the two of us. Believe it or not...my favorite side was the Five Cheese Twice Baked Stuffed Potato. If I were treating myself...this would have been my entire meal. YUM! The mushroom side was good, but I have definitely had better. Dessert is complimentary for the birthday person, so we shared Boston Cream Pie. I highly recommend this dessert...it's the real deal...and beautiful too. Great job John Howie! Plan to come back soon!

1  Thank Want2TrvlMore_11
Reviewed May 25, 2014

...I'm not sure prices are worth it. I really like steak, but maybe my taste buds are not mature or sophisticated enough to appreciate the differences between an $80 steak vs $32. I had American Wagyu Rib Eye and husband had Australian Filet. Both were very good, but I couldn't justify paying that much again. The sides were pretty good and since they had many other non-steak options, I'd be up for trying lunch and the steak salad, burger, etc. The sautéed mushrooms were very good; the lobster mashed potatoes disappointed. What were probably a nice portion of real mashed potatoes were topped with lobster bisque which turned the whole concoction to a bit of a runny mashed or lumpy bisque - neither satisfying. The surprise and most satisfying dish of the evening was the spinach salad served tableside. Warmed, with bacon, nuts and quail eggs. Yum!

The atmosphere was very nice, staff wonderful and helpful. It was a very nice experience that for dinner, one drink each and a shared desert set us back $300 with tip. I wouldn't do dinner again but would entertain having lunch here. If you're curious about the differences in the really expensive steaks definitely worth a try, but if you want a really good steak there are other options in the Seattle area.

1  Thank shastaball

Been to John Howie Steak? Share your experiences!