“Decent food but too pricey”
Review of John Howie Steak

John Howie Steak
Reserve with OpenTable
John Howie Steak is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 553 Restaurants in Bellevue
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 112 th Ave NE
Transit: Bellevue transit center.
Description: John Howie Steak - a downtown Bellevue favorite. Located in the Bravern near 405 (freeway) off of 8th Ave. A great happy hour with a near famous cheeseburger, bar and lounge open till 11pm or midnight. Fine dining in the dining room. Lunch is quite reasonable ($12-$15 entreees) and delicious. Premium steakhouse for lunch meetings, dates or of course any occasion for dinner. Private dining rooms available as well. Catering available. A fine dining restaurant with more casual options for lunch, happy hour, the bar and lounge.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We tried John Howie after purchasing a Groupon. To be honest, this isn't a place I'd go to without a Groupon. We were aware of the prices but wanted to give it a try. Maybe we'd go back for Happy Hour.

We were seated promptly, the dining room is a bit loud. The servers were very helpful, offering suggestions and answering questions. We weren't super hungry so we ordered 2 - 6oz filets and 1 side to split. Also ordered 1 drink (good but strong) and 2 sauces (pricey!!).

They brought a nice starter (without asking them to) of salmon bisque. It was a small cup, maybe 2 drinks worth. BF liked it so I gave him mine as well (I don't like fish). He liked it so much that he ordered a bowl of it.

The steak was good but not remarkable enough to pay $46 for a 6oz steak again. The filet I make at home is just as good I think. The house steak sauce was good but the shallot/red wine sauce was just ok (at a $6 should have been better than ok).

The potatoes were good as well but bland. The side was plenty to share between a few people I thought. The server brought a selection of sea salts about halfway through our meal. They were a nice touch but would have been appreciated more if received when we started our meal.

They ended the meal by giving us 2 truffles to go - a nice touch but I'm not really a fan of dark choc and bf is allergic to nuts.

2 small steaks, 1 bowl of soup, 1 side, 2 sauces, and 1 drink was $140. Though the meal was nice, the restaurant has a good atmosphere, and the service was great I can't really justify spending that kind of money on so little. Even as a special occasion place we'd rather go somewhere like Palisade or Cafe Juanita.

There are newer reviews for John Howie Steak

Reviewed October 23, 2013

The service at John Howie was amazing, I only wish the restaurant had a better view. Not much of a view from a third story window overlooking the freeway. The steak was definitely pretty good, but it is kind of annoying how they nickel-and-dime you for every little thing such as for sides or even sauce on your steak, especially at a nice restaurant like this. Everything really is a la carte, my little steak looked pretty funny sitting on a plate completely alone. My filet mignon was a tad on the drier side, I have definitely had better steaks at places like The Met. It's still probably one of the better steaks on the Eastside.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We love to make Saturday night date nights here. I love the high-quality perfectly-cooked NY Strip and my wife loves the seafood which is as perfect as SeaStar. Great service and atmosphere.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stopped for cocktails with friends. I understand that the wine list is a profit center for restaurants but this is simply ridiculous. $130 for a bottle of Veuve Yellow Label Non-Vintage....really....when the retail price is $38 at Costco.....and they are paying much less than that. This should be priced at $80-$90. We enjoy good food and good wine and are happy to spend for the experience....just don't gouge me.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Ellen and I are regulars at John Howie and the food and dining experience is always a something that we look forward to. Ira Munch, the dining room manager always makes sure that we are having a great time. We came in on Saturday night with a party of 9, and the service and the food couldn't have been better. Between the mous bouche, the three complimentary orders of crab cakes, or the fboulous desserts............it's all good.

Ira..........thanks and we'll see you soon, Howard