“Just okay”

Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Bellevue
Cape Breton Island, Canada
“Just okay”
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Can honestly say there is nothing particularly wrong with this hotel, but there are things that could be changed to make it much better and what it was intended to be. As a gold member with SPG, I have stayed at many Westin and Sheraton properties so I think I have something to compare to. Upon check in I was told they wouldn't be able to honor my upgrade, although that is one of the perks to gold status, wasn't really that big a deal for me, as I had a late flight the following evening , I did request a late check out, 4pm is check out time as a gold member, had to practicaly beg, before she asked the manager, who said it wasn't an issue as it wasn't very busy....hello didn't she just tell me they couldn't honor the upgrade because they were too busy, I didn't make an issue of it as it wasn't really a big deal, we were put on the 4th floor, what I found really odd, when the elevator opened to the floor , you would almost think your getting off on the wrong floor looks like a storage area, big cold brown steel doors are staring back at you, no table with picture or mirror, very odd. Upon entering the room, can honestly say I'm not claustrophobic, but this room would make you feel as if you were, very narrow small hallway, your luggage wouldn't roll between the dresser and the bed, it was a king size bed and it just fit in the room had to lay luggage in the narrow entry way as there was literally nowhere else in the room to store it. Bed was really comfy thou. That was about the only perk, internet was a total scam, for $10 per night, as much as I have issues with paying for something almost every other hotel offers for free, its one of those things we just can't seem to live without, please be aware that you not only pay to access the internet in your room you pay for every device you connect with, as my husband and I both travel with laptops for work, we both logged on and didn't realized until check out that it was a total of $20 plus taxes, it was explained to be if you log on with your blackberry or iphone another $10 charge, I honestly think thats a bit much, decided to order a light breakfast for my husband and I two orders of whole wheat toast and a glass of milk and a glass of OJ, took forever to arrive and when it did it was freezing cold, I mean so cold the butter wasn't even melted, still hard on the toast, which was a clear indication it sat sitting for a long time b4 they even buttered it, for $26, I wasn't leaving that one go, we couldn't even eat it one bite, that was it. So I did phone, they said they would remove the charges for the toast. Parking is free , and they do provide a complimentary shuttle. But we requested it one evening , had reservations at Ruth's Chris. and the front desk staff told us to just have a seat in the lobby it would be arriving for us in about 5 mins, we waited about 15 mins, only to have another couple walk up from outside and jump in as it was a van that could accomadate several ppl, we walked toward the shuttle and explained to the driver where we wanted to go and that we were waiting in the lobby as per the front desk's instructions, he said well I have to take these ppl somewhere first , I'll be back in 30-40 mins, told him it was ok we'd just phone a cab. The location is about a 5-10 minute walk to great shopping, restaurants and bars, in my honest opinion, I much prefer Bellevue to Seattle, much cleaner, newer, and I felt much safer, no panhandling that I could see. Overall the hotel isn't terrible, just has the potential with better management to be so much better than was it is. Its not a bad place to stay just so many other choices in the area would prefer to try somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
gmsheratonbellevue, General Manager at Sheraton Bellevue, responded to this review, July 16, 2010
Dear Love2Travel286,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments on your recent stay in our hotel. While we appreciate your staying with us and your feedback, we do regret that your experience was less than 100% satisfactory. Please be advised that we are reviewing your comments, and will be taking steps to address these issue going forward.

Thank you again for staying with us, and our best regards from the management team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Stayed 2 nights in this hotel...
The hotel looks plain on the outside but the interior was great! The lobby was nice and classy and there's 4 free computer terminals conveniently located near the lobby..
The rooms are clean and nicely decorated too... and the beds are comfy!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed June 23, 2010

I am an event planner and had been holding a meeting room at the Sheraton for a year, when 2 months prior to the event, they told me they had accidentally double booked the meeting room! It had been on hold for a year for our event! Their employee turn-around is terrible...I spoke to at least 4 different "Group Sales Managers" throughout the year because there would be a new one every other month. They had no sympathy for me when I had to tell all my clients that we have to change locations, and then hussle to find another available meeting room with less than 2 months notice!

We will take our events elsewhere...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Dear Sereen16,

Thank you for your interest in hosting your event at the Sheraton Bellevue, and please accept my apologies for the experience you shared regarding the booking process. It is our objective to be a hotel that is easy to do business with, and unfortunately that was not the case with your event.

Yes, we did have some turnover in the Sales Department in the past year, but we now have both a new Director of Sales and a new General Manager, and our focus is in providing an evironment enjoyable for both our guests and employees. Regarding the release of your tentative hold, it is not our practice to hold space for an extended period of time to then release as you described. I understand you did reserve the space well in advance, and again my apologies that this ocurred but please accept my assurence this will not happen again going forward.

If your find yourself looking for meeting facilities in the Bellevue area in the future, I do hope you will consider the Sheraton Bellevue again, as we would appreciate the opportunity to make things right for you.

With best regards.
Lethbridge
Reviewed April 26, 2010

The Sheraton Bellevue, looks rather like a motel from the outside, however when you go inside it is a very clean, bright and new looking hotel. The rooms are comfortable and spacious and very clean. The service there was quite good and their was a complimentary shuttle service available on demand to wherever you wish to go, which is very convenient for travelers without a vehicle. The location is convenient with a lot of restaurants nearby.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
chicago
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Restaurant across the breezeway has basic, good food and service. Hotel shuttle will NOT take you to the airport, which takes 30min.
I did not pay $10 a day for wireless service here--kind of ridiculous in an area with such a good 3G network. The old guy bellman/valet was really helpful.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 28, 2010

From the front desk staff, to the bellman, to the manager (who drove the shuttle), the folks here went above and beyond to make things easier for me and make my stay a pleasant one. Room was clean, had plenty of space, and was in a great location. Highly highly recommend staying here - I will be back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 20, 2010

Perfectly nice hotel, and a good value for the money. Room was clean. Just off the highway, with plenty of free parking, and only a few blocks from the center of downtown bellevue. It isn't a "westin" in terms of luxury, but I don't have a single complaint. I had to use the business center to print out a document, and wasn't charged at all. And when i went to fax the document, the front desk was happy to help without question. Internet was fast (enough), and I didn't hear the highway though it is nearby.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business