“Relaxing place to stay for bar exam.”
Review of Hotel Bellevue

Hotel Bellevue
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Bellevue
USA
“Relaxing place to stay for bar exam.”
Reviewed May 7, 2009

Let me say that I am a fan of creature comfort, and the higher my internal stress level the more perfect I want my surroundings. My boyfriend and I shared a Bellevue Club Hotel premiere room while taking the July bar exam, and the accomodations were everything I could have hoped for. The room provided a relaxing study sanctuary with a large bathtub, a fireplace, and room service - everything necessary to keep one's strength up for the bar! That is, imagine - taking the gruelling all-day exam. A pleasant walk back to your hotel. Fill the huge deep bathtub with hot water and bath salts, get out your study guide, and actually relax while cramming for tomorrow. Get out of the tub, wrap up in a soft, clean cotton robe, turn on the fireplace and sink into a nice big armchair. Open the french doors to let in a fresh breeze and continue studying, in perfect comfort. When you need a break, ring for some room service and keep reading while your dinner is brought to you. After dinner, study a bit more by your warm cheery fireplace. Then get in the wide, clean, soft, cool bed and fall into relaxed sleep until you wake refreshed for another exam day.
Yes, taking the bar is awful, but staying at a place like this will make it as painless as possible...!

The hotel is a convenient distance from the convention center, where the exam is adminstered. On a map it may appear a bit farther than other recommended hotels, but it really is just about the same. We didn't bother with the car service mentioned by other reviewers, because the short walk (about a mile) to the convention center on the cool summer mornings made a perfect warm-up for a day of test-taking.

Now, specifics of our stay: The front desk staff were frankly not the greatest. When we arrived a few minutes after our scheduled check-in time, we were told that our room was not ready because some housekeeping staff had not showed up that day, or something to that effect. Not impressive! And instead of offering, say, a drink in the bar while we waited for our room to be made up, we were just told we would have to wait thirty or forty minutes and that there was a mall nearby if we wanted something to do. We did not complain or demand anything more, but really, we shouldn't have had to. If you have to complain to get excellent service, then the service is not excellent!

Also, the hotel is a bit complicated - it is part of a fitness club. However, the person who checked us in did not explain what facilities were available to hotel guests, what the hours are, where to find the hotel's cafe, etc. ... A little more attention would have been appropriate. Is it "cold" service as some reviewers have described? Maybe - there seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding about gracious hospitality. We don't want fawning or officiousness or casual conversation, just attention to detail.

Besides this rocky start, however, the stay WAS excellent. The room was well appointed, the furniture was very comfortable, the fireplace was so nice! There was no real balcony, but there were french doors that made the entire room feel like the outdoors when we opened them up. The housekeeping was discreet and meticulous. The room was big enough that two completely-stressed-out-people managed not to get in each other's way...

Despite the fact that there was construction on the grounds at the time of our stay, we were never bothered by noise.

The bathroom was great, too - they keep the commode in a seperate room from the tub, shower, sink, and vanity - this is a nice touch. The tub was wonderful, deep and long. The l'Occitane products provided became my new favorite - imagine a hotel shampoo that makes your hair more smooth and shiny than your normal shampoo!

There is morning coffee in a common room on the first floor. The coffee was fine and there were plenty of newspapers provided every day, and the room was a lovely little room with a lovely little garden beyond - but every single day, the hotel staff saw fit to broadcast some truly irritating morning radio show interspersed with truly irritating pop music. Not appropriate!

The hotel includes two restaurants and a coffee shop. I don't remember which restaurant we ordered from, but the food and wine were fine and the room service was fine.

The fitness facilities looked top-notch but we didn't have a chance to try any of them.

In short, the Bellevue Club Hotel is so comfortable and convenient, it is absolutely perfect for the kind of focus and isolation you need while taking the bar - or any other miserable hard work that will take you all day every day during your time in Bellevue. Everything needed is at hand, and you will not be distracted by noise or discomfort. I give this four out of five because the service/attitude was imperfect, but the facilities themselves left nothing to be desired.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
VA
Reviewed January 31, 2009

With three exceptions, none of which were major, I would have granted this hotel a fifth star. I hope management will address those issues, but I had a very good three day stay recently at the Bellvue Club.

The Upside: This hotel has a world-class fitness center. The fitness center is GIGANTIC and this hotel is in the top 5 of fitness centers I have used, and I have stayed in hundreds of hotels. In fact, the hotel is really bolted on to a major fitness center -- that is the Club in the Bellvue Club. There are plenty of treadmill machines, rowing machines, ellipticals, stationary bikes, etc. A basketball court, etc. So if you insist on working out each day on the road (I do), this place is heavenly compared to 99% of all hotels.

Second upside: I found the desk service, concierge, doorman, restaurant staff to be unusually friendly and attentive. An emergency need for my coat to be pressed in 30 minutes was handled smoothly. No issues getting taxis. Really, there was memorable service in those departments. That makes a big difference. The attitudes were positive. And that positive attitude overcame a couple of minor glitches in my stay.

Third: the room has nice, modern decor. Was generally clean. I truly enjoy the facilities of this hotel. I strongly recommend it to you.

* * *

My note to the manager on what needs improvement.

First, you don't have a business center, you literally have a business "closet." Smaller than most phone booths, the hotel has a single computer, with a small, slow printer. Of course, the morning of a presentation, I wanted a hard copy. The problems that arose in ten minutes: 1) the printer ran out of paper. No supplies in the business closet. So I ran to the first open office I saw -- very nice lady gave me a ream of paper -- there's that great attitude again. 2) then when first doc printed off -- no stapler. Ran out of the closet, nice lady again leant me her stapler. 3) then the printer's toner started going. Sorry, too late. 15 minute window up, had to settle for ghostly print out -- good thing I memorized the speech and wrote the slides myself.

Memo to hotel: Get a bigger room, get two computers, get high speed printer, have a few supplies in your busines center.

Second, I did have room cleanliness issues in my bathroom (day 2 and 3) and my room was not fully cleaned out. I am a big tipper (there is no harder job on earth than cleaning hotel rooms), so that was especially disappointing.

Third, for hotel guests, it would be nice to have treadmills with the individual TV screens. I didn't see those in the gym, so I watched the communal television hanging from the ceiling. Not a huge deal, but those modern ones are very very nice -- and you work out longer if the programming is good.

Overall, this is a 4.5 star hotel within easy reach of a 5th star. My bottom line is that I would gladly stay here again and would look forward to it.

• Liked — World Class Fitness Center, Very nice bathroom
  • Disliked — The hotel needs a business center
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank FredTravelVa
Plano, Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2009

This is a great place to stay in Bellevue, WA. The rooms are beautiful and I really like the bathroom. Separate tub and shower! The real kicker is the work out facilities! All I can say is Wow!! Great machines, indoor pool, outdoor pool(summer) and saunas. The staff was very friendly and professional. I am looking forward to my next stay there.

• Liked — The gym!
  • Disliked — Parking fee
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Chicago
Reviewed September 24, 2008

The art work is magnificent!

Our room and bathroom were spacious, and the 500-thread-count linens were comfortable. The bathroom had both a shower and a bathtub, as well as a huge sink area. Being able to use the Bellevue Club's gym was a big bonus -- so much better than the average little workout room in most hotels.

But the small touches really bring home the hotel's quiet elegance. Nice touches were the TV speaker with volume control in the bathroom, and the separate room for the toilet so it was possible for the toilet to be used while someone else was in the bath. These aren't huge things I'd miss in a hotel, but when they're there I appreciate the thought that went into them and it demonstrates that the hotel has its guests' comfort in mind.

We were there to visit family who live in Bellevue, so we were not able to take advantage of all the Club has to offer. But, we liked it so much we are bringing the rest of the family to celebrate Thanksgiving there. Perhaps then we will be able to take advantage of the indoor pool and spa services.

• Liked — The spacious rooms and bathrooms!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
minnesota
Reviewed September 19, 2008

Got a nice rate through Hotels.com. It was worth it, although I would not want to pay more than that. The Hotel had lots of great extras in the room, nice very large bathroom w/ separate toilet area. Set of weights in the room with a workout routine on the closet doors. Excellent French products in the bathroom. Sunday a lot of services closed, though. They offer a town car for travel up to 3 miles of area. I have to say though for half the price or even more than that, I really enjoyed the Kirkland Marriot Courtyard about 10 minutes away. I felt very comfortable there, but with very nice quality rooms.

• Liked — the bathroom and the products
  • Disliked — had a slight smell of mold in room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I was very pleasantly surprised with the Bellevue Club Hotel. I found a decent deal on it at Expedia, which made it cheaper than the Westin. Initially I wished I could be closer to Bellevue Square, but in the end I appreciated the Bellevue Club's location more. Access to I-405 was easy -- much easier than if we were at the mall -- and we spent a lot of time in Seattle, so being closer to the highway was a plus.

Our room and bathroom were spacious, and the 500-thread-count linens were comfortable. The bathroom had both a shower and a bathtub, as well as a huge sink area. Being able to use the Bellevue Club's gym and pool facilities was a big bonus -- so much better than the average little workout room in most hotels.

But the small touches really bring home the hotel's quiet elegance. The large container of bath salts next to the tub was one of them, as were the selection of coffee, fruit and scones in the morning and the ability to choose your daily newspaper from a selection including the New York Times. I also appreciated the free wireless. Other nice touches were the TV speaker with volume control in the bathroom, and the separate room for the toilet so it was possible for the toilet to be used while someone else was in the bath. These aren't huge things I'd miss in a hotel, but when they're there I appreciate the thought that went into them and it demonstrates that the hotel has its guests' comfort in mind.

Service was quite good. There was a large, rowdy wedding reception at the hotel one of the nights we were there, and we figured we'd be kept up all night with the noise as our room looked out over the entry. However, the hotel staff seems to have curtailed the noise right around midnight and we had no problem with it after that.

Overall, I was very happy with our stay at the Bellevue Club Hotel and we'll be back.

• Liked — The gym and the small touches that made it so comfortable
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OffTheBeatenPath
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 22, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a week in July. Overall, we had a great experience. The hotel is clean and modern with many amenities to make you comfortable. I imagine it is great for business travel because there are a few different dining options on the premises and the gym (though under construction) is very comprehensive.

The Bellevue Club, which the hotel is part of, is geared towards families. You can pretend you are a local, but the hotel guest is not the focus of the club. The spa is one of the highlights- we had two great massages while we were there.

We enjoyed the close proximity to the city, we didn't really fight traffic but it took 20 minutes to get into Seattle. The location is very convenient to any highway so it is easy to take day trips to some of the popular destinations west of the city. The concierge left a lot to be desired, so if you are staying here to see the sights, bring your Fodor's guide and maps yourself. We asked for directions to Mount Si and the most help that we got was a google map which didn't lead us to a walkable path.

Stayed July 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellevue
Hyatt Regency Bellevue
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle
Grand Hyatt Seattle
Grand Hyatt Seattle
#6 of 101 in Seattle

Been to Hotel Bellevue? Share your experiences!