“Couldn't be Seated when there were empty tables!”
Review of Cafe Nola

Cafe Nola
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen, French, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Wife and I strolled the area and decided on Nola's for lunch. Went inside and asked for a table for 2. Told we would have to wait at least 30 minutes. We were tired and decided to wait.

I went to the bathroom and noticed empty tables inside and outside of the café. I asked the hostess about the empty tables and she said they were taken.....by whom?

As we waited 15 minutes, a man with his family walked in and asked for a table for five. He was told 45 minute wait....yet there was an empty table of six right there for the past 15 minutes.

At this point, my normally understanding wife said "let's go" and we went next door to Hitchcock'c Deli. See my review.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I had a crab salad. Nothing about it was good. The crab tasted fishy. The dressing was a grapefruit vinaigrette which did not go well with the crab. Too bad I did not go there for breakfast. Heard it was great.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were fortunate to have our daughter and son-in-law invite us to "Breakfast on Saturday morning. "Cafe Nola" is about two blocks from the Bainbridge/Seattle Ferry Terminal within easy walking distance through the main street of what used to be Winslow but was changed to Bainbridge when the small city was expanded to have the entire Island as their city limits. There are many new buildings and shops but "Nola" definitely is a bright and shining star with great service, tasty food, very polite and attentive wait staff and pleasant decor. The portions are quite large so be prepared to engorge yourself.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The atmosphere was nice, but most of the items on the menu that we had were average at best. The soup of the day, the carrot curry was the exception...it was very good. The Dungeness Crab Melt, which was recommended by our waiter, was not good at all. Skip this place unless you just want to have a nice place to sit on a sunny afternoon on an outdoor patio.

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Many years ago on our first trip to Bainbridge, we enjoyed brunch which included their signature French toast and eggs Benedict.

This time out to the island we had dinner instead. Though I have to admit, that after reading several reviews, I was a bit hesitant. Happily we weren't disappointed in our meal. My husband had the scallops/polenta (the presentation just like the TA photo) and I had the clams linguine (pasta cooked perfectly al dente and baby clams galore). Both dishes were delicious and our waiter was attentive and pleasant.

Two disappointments: we originally had reservations to be seated outside but asked to be moved inside when we got there because of the afternoon heat.
We were then seated in the 'hallway' right next to the bar. It was an early dinner and from what we could see we were the only diners inside. At one point there were 6 employees congregating at the tiny bar either getting drinks for outdoor patrons or socializing. Our guess is that our table didn't have a table cloth so by seating us here the table cloth wouldn't need changing.

We were asked if we wanted any bread...'yes'. We each got a small plate with one very, very small piece of bread which wasn't even a whole slice and wasn't worth the effort.

Nola's is a quaint restaurant and has lots of outdoor seating. But had to give 'atmosphere' a 3* because of where we were seated when there were other indoor tables available.