“A bit overpriced for average food”
Review of Cafe Nola

Cafe Nola
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen, French, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The atmosphere was nice, but most of the items on the menu that we had were average at best. The soup of the day, the carrot curry was the exception...it was very good. The Dungeness Crab Melt, which was recommended by our waiter, was not good at all. Skip this place unless you just want to have a nice place to sit on a sunny afternoon on an outdoor patio.

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Many years ago on our first trip to Bainbridge, we enjoyed brunch which included their signature French toast and eggs Benedict.

This time out to the island we had dinner instead. Though I have to admit, that after reading several reviews, I was a bit hesitant. Happily we weren't disappointed in our meal. My husband had the scallops/polenta (the presentation just like the TA photo) and I had the clams linguine (pasta cooked perfectly al dente and baby clams galore). Both dishes were delicious and our waiter was attentive and pleasant.

Two disappointments: we originally had reservations to be seated outside but asked to be moved inside when we got there because of the afternoon heat.
We were then seated in the 'hallway' right next to the bar. It was an early dinner and from what we could see we were the only diners inside. At one point there were 6 employees congregating at the tiny bar either getting drinks for outdoor patrons or socializing. Our guess is that our table didn't have a table cloth so by seating us here the table cloth wouldn't need changing.

We were asked if we wanted any bread...'yes'. We each got a small plate with one very, very small piece of bread which wasn't even a whole slice and wasn't worth the effort.

Nola's is a quaint restaurant and has lots of outdoor seating. But had to give 'atmosphere' a 3* because of where we were seated when there were other indoor tables available.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Nola is quite small inside, but adds a secluded (west facing) patio. Tourists seem to know about it, so there can be a wait around the ferry schedule at peak dinner times. Staff is efficient. Both the Asparagus Risotto and Cioppino were excellent and worthy of recommendation.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have been to this restaurant before when I enjoyed good food and reasonable service but always sat inside. Now there is outdoor seating as well as indoor. I had lunch at an outdoor table. Although I was told that I was being seated in the shade, my back was outside the reach of the shade umbrella. The metal seats were uncomfortable and not level as there was a slant to the patio. Potted bamboo used as a privacy screen from the street encroached on our table space. My husband ordered a small salad and a main course. His salad was brought to the table before any silverware or napkin. We waited quite a while for silverware while we watched other diners being served bread. We had to ask twice for bread which arrived after a long wait.

My seafood soup was very good as was my husband's pasta dish with chicken. I have no complaints about the food quality. The outdoor tables are close together which makes for a high noise level and little privacy of conversation. Many babies and small children who were bored and uncomfortable and frustrated by the long wait for food expressed themselves loudly.

Although I was pleased with the food, the service and outdoor seating environment was not worth the price of the meal. I would eat at this restaurant again only if indoor seating were available.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Enjoyed a very late afternoon lunch at Cafe Nola. Their menu has many selections for lunch including soups, salads and more. We both enjoyed the Panzanella and sampled local Bainbridge Island IPA. The cafe is bright, a bit tight-spaced in places, with very kind service staff. Day trippers can walk from the Ferry Terminal to Winslow Way and Cafe Nola. Outdoor dining is also available.

1  Thank kaylaartt