“Great building, terrible service”
Review of Madison Diner

Madison Diner
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our experience (and rating) with the Madison could have been so much better than what it turned out to be.

After seeing it on DDD, we decided to have breakfast here when we were driving through the area. We arrived and sat down, and a nice lady greeted us and gave us menus. After that, we waited a very long time for our drinks. Then, we waited a very long time for the server to take our order. We eventually figured out that there was a large group seated outside that was taking the server's time. This was not her fault, but she also didn't seem to care that we were waiting.

But the thing that really bothered me was that the owner was sitting at the counter (about 6 feet away and directly facing us), drinking coffee, eating her own meal, using her laptop, and chatting with a friend. She looked over at us several times, but did not ever offer to bring us a drink, take our order, or ask if we needed anything. When our food was ready, we saw it on the counter, but again, it sat there until our server had the time to deliver it.

I would never return to this place, nor would I recommend it. The service was so poor that I can't even remember anything about the food. The owner clearly does not have a clue about service.

4  Thank agdwsu

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant, we arrived at about 3.30pm, the diner was very quiet. All 4 of us ordered the 1/2 sandwich and soup combo of BLT and clam chowder. This was effectively two whole sandwiches and some soup, so not exactly challenging. The food was cooked and then left to stand on the counter to get cold for a few minutes whilst the waitresses chatted and drank a milk shake, my son stood up and delivered our food to the table. Instead of an apology, the chef and waitress argued in front of us over whether the serving bell had been rung. The clam chowder was not what we expected, very watery. My father in law asked for some more sugar for his coffee, and this was delivered to the wrong table, I had to point this out to our server. A nice building, average food and value, but terrible service, why would we want to go back or recommend this diner?

2  Thank garygeorge3
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We went over to Bainbridge Island for the day, and the meal at Madison Diner was one of the highlights. A great gluten free menu, delicious food..... We got one of the monster burgers.... it really is monster. I've never seen a bigger burger in my life! Not only that but the atmosphere is fantastic. In an old school diner trolley it's the perfect setting. It can be hard to get a table though, but when you do it's worth it!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stopped by after the ferry on a Saturday morning. I had the salmon hash. Delicious! Lots of salmon and leeks. My daughter scarfed down her belgium waffle with strawberry sauce. Halfway through our meal more servers came. I don't know if they called in extra people because of how busy they were or what. Everybody handled everything well. Fun to sit at the counter and watch the food come out.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I chose the diner as the lunch destination for our group of seven. It was a sunny day and we sat outside at a long table. The menu offered breakfast and lunch food all day which satisfied all of us. Everything we ordered was fresh, well presented and delicious. Our waitress was one of the owners and she could not have been more gracious. The diner made the trip to Bainbridge Island worth every cent. We will return on our next trip.