“Loved this place”

Dining options: Breakfast
Bowling Green, Kentucky
“Loved this place”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We took the ferry out to Bainbridge Island and ate brunch here. I had the corned been hash and my husband had a burger. The hash was so good, about halfway through, I told my husband I was stuffed, still had half a plate left, but somehow managed to eat it all it was so good. It was busy, but not overly crowded, I enjoy eating at small places tucked away. We walked from the ferry so we didn't miss anything on the way.

Visited June 2013

White River Junction, Vermont
“Excellent food relaxing atmosphere”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Salmon hash browns very tasty. Friendly, attentive and helpful staff. Quick service. Unique history. Good coffee.

• Visited June 2013
“Great Dining Experience!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed lunch here with my family, including 2 hungry teenagers. No one left hungry. EXCELLENT SERVICE and great food. Try the Rachel (grilled corned beef, cole slaw, Swiss cheese, 1000 island dressing on rye). It is awesome with the best sweet potato fries we have ever found. Open face turkey sandwich with real mashed potatoes was also excellent. Did I mention EXCELLENT SERVICE?

• Visited June 2013
Encinitas, California, United States
“A Star is reborn”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This place used to be known as the Star Diner and was reviewed favorably on Food Network's Diners Driveins and Dives. There were some great signature breakfast dishes (generally I go here for breakfast) like salmon hash and house made chorizo dishes. The location was sold shortly after the airing and subsequent owners definitely floundered - changing the menu and raising prices and generally alienating the old clientele.

The current owner really "gets it" and brought back a number of the Star's best dishes as well as adding some new goodies that are all first rate. This is again my favorite breakfast place on Bainbridge.

• Visited May 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
“Decent in the World of Makebelieve Diners”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We decided to give this one a try, on an island of very pricing dining choices. It was dinner time, so I ordered grilled cheese with tomato, cup of Italian white bean soup. Hubby had burger with onion rings..Soup was a variation of navy bean soup with kale and italian sausage added, interesting, but nothing special. Grilled chedder cheese on rye is my fave, this one wouldn've scored big time if the cook had heated the tomatos or grilled them with the sandwich, instead, they were added ice cold to the cheese. So instead of a nice hot grilled cheese, it was a nice cold melted cheese. Burger was a burger, onion rings were nice, hot and crisp.

Hubby wanted to go back the next morning for salmon hash. This trip was much better. His hash had good amt of fresh tasting salmon. I ordered small bowl of oatmeal with dried fruit, along with one cornmeal pancake with bacon. Large bowl of oatmeal, plenty of fruit, nuts and brown sugar along side. Large thick piece of bacon, plus an absolutey delicious pancake, Thin, crisp around the edges. Very good breakfast.

Service the first nite was alittle odd, first server brought menus, water, and then no one came back for quite awhile, we were getting ready to leave, then second server came and took orders.
Place filled up after we were seated, but staff seemed alittle lax. Next monring, 2nd server from nite before was there, probably 12 people already seated, our service couldn't have been any better

Some items alittle pricey, but everything on this island is pricey. Can't say it was one of our best diners experiences, but certainly wasn't one of our worse.

• Visited May 2013