“Tired property, friendly staff”
Review of Island Country Inn

Island Country Inn
Island Country Inn
Austin, Texas
“Tired property, friendly staff”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I wish I could rate this inn higher, but everything in the room was so worn and dingy, and, while the room wasn't dirty, it wasn't sparkling clean, either. The staff were friendly and personable, but at the same price as the Best Western Plus just a block away, there is no way I would select this inn if I had a choice to stay at the Best Western. The "free" breakfast was also of rather poor quality, or, as my husband put it, not worth what we paid for it. The good news about the breakfast, however, is that it motivated us to walk to the Madison Diner, which served a great breakfast! Our room, on the end was quiet, with a separate sitting area and a full kitchen, but this property is in serious need of rehab.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Florence721

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
The Dalles, Oregon
Reviewed July 24, 2013

While the on-line pictures and description of this hotel are very appealing, in reality, the property is in very poor condition. One of the dresser drawers of the television stand would not open; the shower curtain liner was filthy; the carpets were worn; the heating/air conditioning unit was very noisy; the safe would not unlock so we could store valuables. The safe door was ajar and would not close, causing my partner, who is very tall, to hit his head on the corner. The sink stopper would not work. We definitely will not stay there again, nor will we recommend it to any one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Terri2015
US
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was a last minute arrangement and likely will not return here unless is it the only place with availability. It's a very basic place that's similar to cheapie motels just off the highway. Bare minimum but without the value pricing.

The good - the bed was comfortable. It's close to downtown. The shower works fine. If you simply need a place to sleep for the night, you could do worse. The front desk manager was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about the location and how to get around. The iron worked.

The so-so - The included continental breakfast looked ultra basic. Many better options nearby for better food. Why so much brown & tan in the room? For a place that's frequently overcast and gray, why not brighten it up a bit? Why not add some whimsy with local artwork/driftwood or something "island-y"?

The not so great - The room smelled of stale smoke even though it was a non-smoking room. Opening the windows helped. Lighting in the room is poor. Most bulbs were very low-light so forget reading in bed. Overhead light is basic honestly would not want it on unless it absolutely had to be.

The odd - this place seems to be in an office park of sorts.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have two suggestions: #1) Definitely do not book the Island Country Inn online, and #2) If at all possible, stay somewhere else.

I cannot comment on the quality of the Inn or their amenities because we were not given a room. We flew into SEA-TAC and then took the ferry to Bainbridge for a wedding. When we got there, the Inn said they had no reservation under our name. I showed them multiple Expedia confirmations and they said they couldn't find it. They were completely sold-out, as were all other hotels in the area. After 90 minutes on the phone, we ended up having to scramble to a last-minute room 20 miles away at a significantly higher price. We did make it to the wedding just in time--sweaty and running--after having about five minutes to change clothes. Thanks, Island Country Inn.

Unfortunately, multiple conversations with the staff, with Expedia, and with the manager Eddie Rich the next day, and it's clear that the "error" was a result of either Eddie's incompetence or worse, the hotel's seedy business practices. On the day we arrived, Eddie was standing at the front desk. When they couldn't find our reservation, he went out the back, and LEFT THE HOTEL. Then the guy at the front desk told us "Look, I have only been here a month, there's nothing I can do. My manager has stepped out."

The next day, we came back and asked for the manager so we could get an explanation. Eddie gave us every excuse in the book and tried to claim that "Expedia is a failing company. I'm just as angry as you are." He said "I'm gonna call them right now!" And then proceeded to pace around and do nothing.

What Eddie didn't tell us is that all they have to do is pull up their Expedia web interface to see all the reservations. When I calmly suggested that, in order to use the Expedia service, they had to at least be diligent in keeping track of the reservations, he told me "Now you're insulting my staff. I want you to leave." This was definitely one of the most bizarre customer service experiences I've ever had. I would suggest my fellow travelers steer clear.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank James L
Bainbridge Island
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This place has not been maintained very well. The rusted nail heads in the second floor walkway was the first indication. The missing sink stopper was the next clue. The bed was way to soft for my taste, but the sheets were clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2013

2 star motel accommodation but with charms and in a great location being within walking distance from town and the ferry terminal. Friendly staff and a free breakfast. Wi-fi was free and the connection speed was excellent. Great rates and free parking.

We experienced some problems with the plumbing but these issues were immediately addressed. The first two nights were quiet and we slept well but experienced problems on our final night when our "neighbour" turned up at 1am and spent the next 2 hours slamming doors and making phone calls whilst standing right outside our window, before starting his car, idling it for ages, then speeding off. We also found our "clean" sheets to be stained.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blindlemonpie
Bergamo, Italy
Reviewed September 4, 2012

stayed ther for one night on our way back from Olympic peninsula. Motel is really dated, room was clean even if it showed all the years people have been into it. Mattresses need to be changed as well as as all the linens (which anyway were clean). Breakfast, included in the rate, was really poor and we had to share the only long table with other guests. Ladies at reception were nice and helpfull (they even reduced our rate).
if ever there'll be a next time, I'll look for something different.

Room Tip: not sure there are good rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank angecorti
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bainbridge Island
Best Western Plus Bainbridge Isl...
#1 of 5 in Bainbridge Island
Poulsbo Inn
#2 of 2 in Poulsbo
Oxford Suites Silverdale
#1 of 6 in Silverdale
Belltown
The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel

Been to Island Country Inn? Share your experiences!