“Big mistake, handled unprofessionally!”
Review of Restaurant Marche

Restaurant Marche
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

This was my 2nd visit here. The first was lunch with colleagues (4) and we had mixed feelings then! So I wanted to try again when a relative was visiting. We each felt our lunches were pretty good. Portion sizes are small...one should expect to pay for "quality" and not "quantity"! We split the bill equally on our separate VISA cards, a couple weeks later my relative card to ask me if I'd received my VISA bill yet from our lunch date? I said "no, why?!" She proceeds to tell me she had been "doubled charged" her amount by Marché! She wondered if by mistake they ran her card twice, and not mine at all? I said I'd call ASAP when my bank statement came! Two days later I had mine, I was ALSO doubled charged!!! She had since called Marché To inform them of the problem. The Manager (owner's wife) said "oh, we already know all about it!" She said everyone who ate there that day had been charged twice!! That it wasn't their fault! It was the "company who processes their bank card payments". My relative asked for a name and # that she could call, was given that without so much as a "sorry!"
I then called to complain about my doubled bill, I was told the same story. She seemed to be dismissive of the error because the belief that it wasn't their fault was all that mattered! I immediately called my bank to have the 2nd charge removed! What shocks me the most in this sad event, is that Marche clearly missed the opportunity for some GREAT P.R. ! The Manager said they "knew" who all the clients were who ate there that day, all had been doubled billed! WHY NOT CONTACT EACH OF THEM, offer their sincere apology for the error and include a coupon for 15 or 20% off their next meal at the restaurant!?! The way they "didn't" deal with it means by leaving it up to the clients to perhaps find the error or NOT, ...they were actually able to have double the take, from all of those who didn't check their statement closely that month!! Disappointing from a chef who has been in the business so long...! They should know well by now how to manage better such a situation !? NO Call, no apology, no offer to rectify, ....it was up to us to fix it!

4  Thank BarbePapa

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I love the food, service and atmosphere here, but it is a little pricey. The chef/owner used to be chef at Canlis in Seattle, another high priced but excellent restaurant. Because the menu is seasonal, it is difficult to recommend anything in particular. But do save room for dessert! They are always spectacular. It is fun to eat at the bar, or outside when weather permits.

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

After reading and rereading about this restaurant in the Seattle magazine and other local publications I wanted to give it a try. We went to Bainbridge Island for the day and went here for lunch. The restaurant itself is very cute, clean and modern and the service was wonderful. I had the French onion soup and my husband had the mushroom bisque with a side order of frites (French fries). The soup was good but not great and the fries were nothing special at all. They actually tasted like they were fried in old oil. I think for the area the prices are a little steep. I would be Interested to try their dinner menu but it would easily be a $100 meal for 2 people. Since you have to take the ferry from Seattle I doubt we will be back unless we have another reason to visit Bainbridge Island.

1  Thank Melissa K
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Visited yesterday on a sunny day in the Seattle area. Went to the island for a late lunch. Got seated in bar area and had poor, poor service. Owner gave us $15 off of check, but it did not make up for time wasted trying to eat lunch and get back to Seattle. Food was good though.

1  Thank Mary Jo W
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

This is a pretty, airy restaurant
We both had just the French onion soup and it was excellent. I would say it's a little pricey: $50 for two bowls of soup, two glasses of wine + tax and tip but otherwise we were very happy. The service was excellent.

1  Thank rosegrrl