“Much Improved since the beginning”
Review of Hitchcock

Hitchcock
Reserve with OpenTable
Hitchcock is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We went to Hitchcock because Marche's chef was on vacation. Our experience was good. The dining area has been remodeled since we were last there many years ago, so the volume is no longer earsplitting. Service problems also appears to have been ironed out, although if you're in a hurry, this is NOT the place to go. We were all very happy with our choices--a yummy squash soup, delicious duck leg confit, scrumptious lamb ragu, and delectable clams. Desserts were fine, but nothing special. Be forewarned that portions are a bit small, so feel free to order an appetizer, entree, and dessert, unless you intend to eat lightly.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I'm sure there are legitimate reasons why other reviewers gave poor remarks for Hitchcock. Our experience, however, was fantastic. We also went because of a Travelzoo tasting promo. My first recommendation, if you go for this promo, is to go with a group - it allowed us to try many many different dishes. Our family of five was seated at a table for six near the front of the restaurant, so we didn't have a cramped booth experience. Only wish we could have sat closer to the open kitchen to see the inner workings. Service was attentive and well paced - we must have tried over 20 different plates, half of which were not on the menu. Water was kept filled. A parade of servers brought each course.
Okay, on to the food. We had 6+ courses, and I assumed that all diners would be served the same items, but the assortment of tastes was amazing. Started with three oyster choices - Shigoku, Kumamoto, and Rockaway Beach, all with different garnishes. My favorite for a charcuterie course was smoked Scottish goose, and pork belly terrine and speck were great as well. Duck confit was tasty. A generous serving of clams and plump mussels followed. The manila clams, in an almost chowder-like bacon, potato, and cream preparation was the favorite of one of our famliy. An espresso size squash soup was great. A meat course included choices of duck and pork chop. Another of our favorites was a cheese course which included a variety of cow and sheep cheeses served with various preserves, honey, pecans, beets. Somewhere in the mix was a palate cleansing citrus sorbet. After three hours of non stop service, dessert was another assortment of many choices - creme brulee, a wicked ginger sorbet, pistachio gelato, a couple of rich chocolate dishes with coffee. We went easy on wines with just the house red and white - there's a long list of European and domestic wines, plus some good beers and Seattle Cider.
I'm sure I've missed items, but it was hard to keep up with the constant delivery of yummy dishes. I have to say that for a tasting, we left satisfied and I think they pulled out all the stops.

Highly recommend!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant when we were visiting Seattle over Labor Day weekend. It happened to BE Labor Day, so barely any of the restaurants were open. Once we saw this restaurant, I said, "Done. We're eating here." Hitchcock looked interesting even from the street! Once we got inside, the atmosphere was cozy, but it was very warm. The host said that the kitchen made it very warm inside, which sounded great in the winter, but not so much on a hot, summer day. We had walked from the ferry. Luckily they had a few tables outside for seating, which we chose instead. It was a great choice. We got to view the quaint street and enjoy the weather. Unfortunately Mondays are the day that the staff "gives the kitchen a break" and so they were serving pizza. It was delicious, thin crust pizza, but it was not what I was hoping for. Not only had we just had pizza for lunch, I was hoping for something more true to the Northwest. It was still great food, great experience, and great wine.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Had a couple people tell me how good this place was. Next time I see them, they will feel the wrath. The only good thing we had was the martinis and desert.

Duck Confit was on the menu and I was told it was medium rare. WTF???? The result of confit is a smooth, tender, melt in your mouth experience. Cooked long and slow. Medium rare???? When asked if I could have it medium well, I was told that the chef takes no orders other than what he sees fit. Remember, I'm the one that is willing to lay out $180.00 for the evening. I'm the one that has to be served and satisfied. Obviously not. Since I won't eat foul medium rare, I ordered the albacore (really not much else to chose from). Very pedestrian. Came out medium rare (O.K., fresh fish should not be over cooked) but the hot shot chef forgot to cut out the blood line (an absolute must in any tuna) and it tasted like liver. Raw liver (and I like cooked liver!!). And at $27.00, the portion was about 4 ounces. Minus the blood line that I couldn't eat and it ended up being a scant 3 ounces.

The little woman got clams in a soft garlic sauce and they were good. Only 6 of them, but good. BUT, they came out with nothing, no veggies, no rice, no thank you very much. If it hadn't been for the left over bread on the table to soak the broth, the dish would have been very disappointing.

Too much money, not a great menu, small portions and a chef that obviously feels his/her way of doing things is the right way, no matter the preference of who pays the bill (remember, me, the customer).

Service was good, not great. As I said, the martini was perfect and the honey sorbet was close to perfect. That's it though, never going back, wouldn't recommend it and wish we'd gone to Doc's on the harbor.

2  Thank Bill L
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We took the ferry to Bainbridge, not knowing what to expect on the island. A lot of places were closed when we arrived and we happened on Hitchcock. The restaurant is rather small so there was a wait. We sat at the bar and enjoyed a cocktail with the very nice bartender. The restaurant has a bit of a kitchy club atmosphere. I liked it! There wasn't too long of a wait before we were seated outside. We had the olive app and we ordered the roast chicken. They said there would be a slight wait on the delivery because of the preparation - well worth the wait! The chicken was perfectly cooked and lovely. The service was good, not overbearing. Would definitely dine here again!