“Not up to expectations!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn & Suites Wytheville

Red Roof Inn & Suites Wytheville
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Wytheville
“Not up to expectations!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

No WiFi even though advertised. Tried to call front desk from room several times but no one answered. Called from my cell phone several times. Someone would answer after several rings but immediately hang up!!! This went on for over an hour, till about 11:00 pm. Don't think there was still many people checking in, so shouldnt have been too busy to answer phone. Very poor customer service. Furniture seems to be from the 60's. TV looks at least 15 years old. All king rooms on second floor. Walk up with all your luggage!! No thanks......only stayed here cause LaQuinta next door sold out. It is better than sleeping in the car!!!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Hope4truth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Pittston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Let me preface this by stating, I am a loyal Redicard Member, and I love Red Roof. I travel cross country for a month or two every year with my dog, and I stay at Red Roof whenever possible. With that said, the rooms in this motel are "tired," and they are in desperate need of an update. When I checked in, I was given a room that was not cleaned, so I had to bring my luggage and dog back to the truck, and drive all the way back to the office. The desk clerk was beyond apologetic and pleasant. However, there was a family of middle eastern/Indians, who live in two rooms of the motel, and they appear to clean the rooms and take care of the grounds. They lurk around the walkways, and they leave the doors to their rooms open at all times. They cannot speak English, and they were beyond creepy. Unfortunately, we had to pass them and their rooms every time we entered or exited our room, and they made us very, very uncomfortable. In fact, when they saw that my first room (a Superior King) was not cleaned, an Indian man opened a basic room with two double beds, and said, "Here." I told him I wanted a Superior King, and he said, "NO, HERE." I just ignored the creep, and I took all my luggage and dog back to my truck and went back to the front desk. The second room was made up, but it was tired, old, and worn. The air conditioner was EXTREMELY loud, but I like white noise in a motel, so I was okay with that. Most others hate noisy a/c's. To be fair, there are three positives about the property. The front desk staff was very nice, and the rooms are quiet (if you do not mind extremely loud a/c units). This property also featured a nice breakfast bar, with juices, coffee, cereal and muffins. If I had it to do all over again, I would stay in the La Quinta, which shares the same property as Red Roof. Both properties have GREAT spaces to walk your pets!

Room Tip: All areas seemed to be quiet. Be warned, the A/C units (in the rooms) are beyond loud!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Newport, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Good place to stop on I 81 room was large clean and close to the 81 could be a few more food options close but if you want something other than bob evans its a couple miles (should have just ordered pizza delivered) Would stay again and probably will again in a couple weeks

Room Tip: Avoid the breeze way on first floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Just off Interstates 81 & 77, this is an easy place to find. Because of the location there are a lot of people who use this as an overnight stay along their way. We are a bit unusual in that we stay for several days exploring. There is a nice family atmosphere with clean practical rooms. My wife and I visit here annually to explore the New River Trail and other historical places in the area. Free WyFy, accessible eateries nearby, and transportation access make this ideal for us. The breakfast is standard with lots of carbs (rolls and cereal), but short on proteins (which is why I gave it only four stars.) No concierge, but there has always been a staff person at the desk who could answer questions.

Room Tip: We travel with two mountain bicycles. Don't be afraid to book a suite or business room. They h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marvin B
Crossville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We have stayed here several times over the years when we go bicycling, hiking, and canoeing in Wytheville. The price for the suite (2 rooms) is very reasonable and we need the extra space to store our bikes. One room has 2 double beds and the bathroom, and the other room is set up as a living area with sleeper sofa, chair, desk, micro-fridge and a closet. Clean rooms, friendly staff. They had a pool years ago, but it has since been filled in (due to high maintenance costs) and that area is all grassy now and is used for tossing a frisbee, playing football, etc. The breakfast is carb-loaded (cereal, muffins, danish) but there is coffee and milk available all day long. There is a Bob Evans and a Waffle House close by, though, as well as other restaurants. If you like Chinese, I highly recommend the Peking restaurant across the street (next to Shoney's).

Room Tip: If you have a lot of stuff to take to your room (bikes, etc) you can request a room on the 1st floor...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travelgal_0511
Clarksville, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Hotel had a very nice and clean room, comfy bed, friendly staff, great view of Mountains was a plus......Not a real good Breakfast tho but however I would stay there again . I stayed alone on this trip BUT would be good for a family

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank imawalkingal
Russell S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Wytheville, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for the compliments. We are glad to hear your stay was good and the room was clean with a comfy bed.
We hope to see you again soon.

Russell
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Red Roof Inn on an unplanned trip and was very pleased at the welcome I received. Everything was nice and clean and I was treated with a family style that is missing in so many places today. Knowing I was already traveling at an inconvenient time for my schedule it was very reassuring to know strangers still care. Thank you again for making my trip a little easier.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Russell S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Wytheville, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We are glad to hear you had a good stay and that everything was clean. We hope to see you again soon.

Russell