“Disappointing at best!”

Ranked #2 of 61 Restaurants in Wytheville
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had an 8:15 reservation following a long day of travel and a recommendation from our hotel clerk. We were delighted as we entered the restaurant, but the fun stopped there! Even though the place is unique (my friend is an antiques dealer), the building itself was the best part of the experience. Our waitress immediately explained that the food would take "a while", and left us to peruse the menu. Our drink orders took 10 minutes to arrive, and that was the shortest wait we experienced. After our salads, my friend and I walked around the property for 30 min or so, during which time the waitress never approached the table....and then another 15 minutes passed before the food arrived. All of our food, except the potato, was cool right from the start, but since the waitress never appeared again until we were finished, we never got to voice a complaint! (Nice method!!) She was unapologetic, but did promise to "mention" it to the kitchen. Over all, a very disappointing experience, although if the food was hot, it would probably have been worth the wait.

2  Thank HappilyretiredNePa
There are newer reviews for The Log House 1776 Restaurant

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Very unique log house from 1776 with full bar restaurant and gift shops. Food was delicious and the first time I have ever had fried grits. They were great. Ham steak was good. Definitely recommend this restaurant .

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Was recommended to us by a local hotel as "premier" eating place in town. What we found was a very interesting historical log house that is very poorly maintained, dirty glass in windows, dead vines hanging all over the window by our table, entry ramp overgrown with greenery, staff less than friendly. Then there is the food. Ham slice was no more than 1/8" thick, if that and way overdone, actually dry and hard. We waited 45 min on our meal to arrive, which was not good after 10 hours on the road. I would not choose to go back there. "Premier", I think not.

1  Thank GinnyERKG
Reviewed August 18, 2013

On way home from Myrtle Beach, hunger pains developed and we decided to google restaurants in Wytheville Va. The Log came up. Always interested in trying something different we set the GPS. Upon arrival the parking lot entrance was in need of major repairs. Once inside we were greeted and and seated. Very friendly staff. The menu states "they are not fast food, and if we wanted fast this was not the place" I can say they mean this! From the time we were seated to when our food arrived was almost one and a half hour. This would not have been an issue IF we had ordered something worthy of being on the Food Channel. The three of us ordered sandwiches. My wife got a sandwich consisting of turkey, bacon and cheese and potato chips, while me and my daughter ordered steak strip with peppers and cheese along with French fries. With my limited culinary skills I believe I could have completed this task in about 15-20 minutes tops. Our waiter Arlo apologized several times about how long it was taking and on the third apology he offered free desserts. We needed to be get back on the road and was afraid we would have to wait an additional thirty minutes to receive our free desserts. One of the patrons at The table beside us came in roughly 5 minutes after we did Was informed 25 minutes after she placed her order they were out of the chicken salad. She also noticed a mouse ran under their table.upon leaving a party of seven arrived and the hostess questioned if they could handle that size of a group.the restaurant when we left was at about 33% capacity. On our next time through the Wytheville Va area we will not be going off the beaten path to return to The Log 1776 Restaurant. You have been warned! ...lol. Nice people just a shame.

3  Thank TomFromKy
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Ate here with a work colleague one evening this week. Had a late meeting and we decided to try this restaurant. Had passed by the establishment many times in the past and didn't even know it was open.
My friend had the pork loin and ended up with a clean plate! I had the bleu cheese steak and it was delicious. Yellow squash was an interesting side choice. Sliced like a baked potato with melted cheese on top. However it was cooked, or prepared..it was delicious.
Bread is soft and warm....desserts were good as well. Positive experience.
The building is dark and there are steep steps and uneven floors, so need to keep that in mind.