“Worth a visit”

Ranked #2 of 61 Restaurants in Wytheville
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is a really unique restaurant and definitely worth visiting once if for no other reason to explore all the parts of it, (and there are many).

This is a genuinely OLD (in a good way) Log Cabin House and I think they have absorbed the other structures in the immediate area (or it may have all been parts of the original homestead-dont know) and have made it into a somewhat sprawling, but still feeling intimate restaurant and bar and gift shop and garden that kind of goes on and on. (We'll cover the intimate part of it in the upcoming paragraphs!) It has all the nooks and crannies and uneven floors etc that are part of the character of a 200+ year old place.

Now I had the distinct disadvantage (and in this place it mattered a lot!) of being by myself. I travel a lot by myself and this is probably the most uncomfortable I have felt in a restaurant in years. I should have absolutely eaten in the bar or gotten a table as away as possible or did carry-out!

This is VERY MUCH a place to go with someone, preferably a date, special occasion kind of thing. It is very quiet in the dining areas of the main house (no background music at all, in fact no background anything at all) which becomes a problem, because at least the night i was there virtually every word spoken by anyone was audible to me and everyone else in the room--even from the far end of the room, but far in this case just isnt far enough and the tables while not exactly being on top of each other are still TOO close, and it just doesnt matter, you could still hear the proverbial pin drop, so everyone is really whispering. Seriously, like a 2 decibel level. Uncomfortable! I was expecting to see someone start doing sign language (and even doing that furtively!)

OK, on to better things, the food! They started me off with some very nicely warmed very soft bread with a softened butter that was excellent.

Then I had the Vegetable Beef soup, which was also delicious. The beef chunks were tender, generously sized, the veggies in it were nicely flavored and a decent amount of them, the broth was perfect and the size of the bowl was fine.

For my main i went back and forth between the Rib-Eye steak with mushrooms and the Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with a stuffing of apples, celery, onions, bread crumbs and spices. I went with the Pork Tenderloin and liked it! The stuffing was seasoned right, cooked right, tasted right and went perfectly with the pork tenderloin and the light sauce over it was a sweet complimentary sauce. Tender, flavorful and tasty!

For my 2 sides I had the parsley potatoes which were fine, and the stuffed Crookneck(?) squash which was pretty unique for me (I rarely get a squash dish) but it sounded good, and it was good! I would recommend giving that one a try.

For dessert, my waitress offered a Creme Brulee, which is my favorite, but I wasnt feeling like staying any longer (see above-ha!) and I am guessing it would have been good!

The service was a little better than OK. Not great, she didnt exude, she didnt seem to catch my overall discomfort, but she tried, was friendly, efficient etc. No beef, if she had gone out of her a little more it would have been better, but hey she is not a mind reader so i cant complain.

The overall value per the price I think is fair. My bill prior to tip was $29. The soup was $6, the Stuffed Pork Tenderloin was $18, and so its hard to complain about a truly unique dining venue with higher end food at $29.

Be sure to roam around and check out all the different spots. The bar I went into to check it out, it looked pretty cool, lots of wood, different levels, a lot of character, very genuine, but i was ready to move on.

Long story short (that aint gonna happen-ha!) try it with a lover/friend/wife (or all 3--now THAT would liven up this place!! ) and it will be much better.

1  Thank robandhellie
There are newer reviews for The Log House 1776 Restaurant

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Visited because it was close to our stay and was recommended by clerk at motel. The building is interesting to visit with beautiful garden and old log building features. The service was slow, probably because of short wait staffing and the upstairs/downstairs transportating of food and drinks. Our food was average at best with above average pricing. My stuffed chicken was dry and very bland. The fried grits were sold out at 6:30 and the boiled potatoes was a poor substitute. Not many other choices in the area. Been there,seen it, won't do it again.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

after reading the reviews, I can't imagine why our experience was not very good. I had the filet mignon and my wife had the salmon. The food was barely warm. The salmon was overcooked and my steak was cool. The waiter said he would have them grill another steak. I had ordered it medium and I believe they (kitchen) micro waved it the second time as it was overcooked. The cashier asked if everything was satisfactory and when I said no she said did you eat the food. We said yes because the price was above average. I would not frequent this restaurant again if we are in the area

Reviewed October 11, 2012

What a unique building and attached gift shop. We had the corn fritter appetizer which was good. However, our entrees were excellent. My husband had the steak and I had the spinach lasagna wrapped in pine nuts.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife and I had just exited a beautiful log cabin retreat on the Va-NC border complete with grandkids: lovely but chaotic, at times. When we came by this Log House we stopped, and quite by accident had a great meal and a restful time. The day had begun a cooling trend as we arose in the morning so that by noon it was only in the 40's with a chilling wind as we entered the front door. Our eyes adjusted to the interior with the fires going in each dining site and the smell of hot chowder and vegetable-beef soup wafted our way. We had assorted cheeses and soups, both wonderful, for lunch and then overate at the Kentucky Derby dessert, which was yummy.
The gift shop and the gardens allowed us time to re-warm and sample a most eclecticvariety of arts and crafts and imported garden and decorator items. By then the day turned bright( the cold front had passed) and we departed, happy and well filled. Great prices too.

2  Thank muledog