“GREAT MOTEL OFF THE INTERSTATE!”
Review of Budget Host Inn

Budget Host Inn
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Wytheville
Jacksonville, Florida
“GREAT MOTEL OFF THE INTERSTATE!”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

This place really took care of me by meeting my last minute needs with a room downstairs! The owner was very polite and the rooms are very clean and quiet because of the block they are constructed of. There is a train that comes by now and then but no big deal! I would go back and stay here again!

Room Tip: Lower Floor!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Accordia
budgethostVa, Manager at Budget Host Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Thank you for taking a time to write a review. See you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Surprisingly clean--carpets, bedding, bathroom, walls. Cinderblock walls so no drooping wallpaper or peeling paint. Everything was very neat. Two beds, bathtub/shower, table and chairs, desk, and a TV. No pool and we had a hard time getting on the internet, but I wouldn't mind staying in this room for an entire trip, not just overnight. Didn't sample the breakfast, but the desk reps were very polite. Surroundings not very appealing, but I would rather have a clean comfortable room than a nasty place in the middle of town.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jessica16194
budgethostVa, Manager at Budget Host Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Thank you so much for taking a time and help us and also other travelers to choose place to sleep.
See you soon.
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I chose to stay at the Budget Host Wytheville after seeing the great price and reading all of the great reviews on TripAdvisor. While I definitely agree that the property is a perfectly acceptable choice, I have stayed at other value/budget hotels that provided better value. If you are going to stay here, have realistic expectations.

I saw one reviewer compare this to the Bates Motel. I don't feel that is fair at all. I am also a bit surprised by all the great reviews. To me, this motel is somewhere in the middle...

I'll start with the positives:

The room was fairly clean and 100% bug free from my observations. I have a tendency to wipe down hard surfaces with antibacterial wipes on arrival to any hotel, and I found very little dirt when I wiped down the hard surfaces in the room. Kudos to the housekeeping staff for that!

The beds are very comfortable. The mattresses were fairly new and provided a good night's sleep.

Also, the hotel is located right off of the Interstate and very easy to find. The staff that I encountered were friendly and free breakfast was provided. The breakfast selection was limited, but you definitely won't go hungry. There was some sort of juice (I think Tang), several baked goods/pastry selections, and cereal. You do have to take the food back to your room as there is nowhere to sit in the lobby. For the price of this hotel though, the breakfast was VERY fair.

Now for the negatives...

The exterior of the hotel clearly shows it's age. The exterior is dated, and the paint is very faded. The doors have their fair share of dents and dings.The rooms are also worn, but I would say that this hotel is better than the exterior would lead you to believe.

The "decorating" scheme in the rooms is very dated. I felt like I was taking a trip back to the 1960's or 1970's. The furniture is old and worn. The desk in the room was broken/rickety and leaning sideways. It was supported by the TV stand. The TV was an old tube version, but worked fine. I also noticed a lot of dust along the baseboards and in the corners. This was more visible than normal because of the dark carpet, light-colored walls, and lack of baseboard trim.

The bathroom was very underwhelming. The shower head had low pressure and wasn't adjustable. The hot water dial was loose. Also, the drain was very slow and the tub filled up with water during my shower. The toilet also struggled to flush. The sink had the same problems. There appears to be a drainage issue at this property. The sliding glass shower doors have no handles, so you have to just put your whole hand on the glass and kind of slide it open.

Overall, this property has its faults, but is a safe option for budget travelers. I would probably spend the extra $10 to stay at a nicer property in the future, but for one night it worked.

Room Tip: Ask for a first-floor room and you can park right outside your room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking your valuable time to write positive and negative review. Also, Thank you for mentioning this property is 1970s. We are proud of serving 1000s of people every year since 1970s. We also want to keep our property's exterior shiny and fresh look but, sun hits the property's exterior and fades the paint. can't do anything about it.
Yes, this property is for budget travelers who wants to save $10. There are 20 other hotels in area for budget to luxurious travelers.
Oxford, OH
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I was travelling to the Coast of NC and had to stop in Wytheville as a good place and the Hilton would have been $120 just to sleep and this place had gotten good reviews so I figured I would give it a try. I opted for "Mountain View" for $10 more. Well maybe you can see it in the winter but all I saw was trees. But it is on the back so it was quiet! The place is rather spartan but clean, the guy at the front desk a little taciturn but nice and they had painted a nice wheat pattern on the cinder block walls! MY bed was fine, the WiFi worked and all and all I was a happy camper. The shower was a little weak but I cleaned up fine. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Newton Falls, Ohio
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We travel a lot and now we have found the perfect place to stay when we perform in Bristol.. The owner Pete is so friendly..The rooms are clean.. Great breakfast, totally recommend this motel!!!
Great

Room Tip: Lower rooms, your car is right outside your door!! TV, Fridge
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is a great little motel to stay in. There are a lot of other motels in the area for more money. Our room was large enough for us. The shower was nice and hot. There is a train that you can hear at night and in the morning, but honestly, we loved the sound. Hadn't heard that sounds since we were both kids.
The staff was very accommodating and very friendly. Would definitely stay there again if we're traveling through.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
TN
Reviewed June 30, 2014

First off, let me say that I knew for $60 on a Friday night that we were not getting the Ritz Carlton, however, this place was a little bit scary. I will give it a 2 (instead of a 1) because it was clean other than that and a convenient location off of the interstate, I have nothing else positive to say. We arrived about 9:30 PM, the man at the front desk was pleasant enough and told us we were around back. That's when the "fun" begins. Poorly lit, with a grassy knoll behind the parking lot with tree stumps that in the dark look like headstones greeted us once we parked. We climbed the carpeted steps outside as we were on the second floor. Opened our room door and were greeted with suffocating heat. I turned the air on immediately but for the first hour or so if we were not sitting directly in front of the air conditioner then it felt like a sauna. Flowers painted on cinderblocks would describe the décor and linoleum tile from 1975 in the bathroom that was not level. No air in the bathroom so it was scorching the entire time. One of the outlets sparked badly when attempting to plug in a phone charger and we had a light next to the bed that kept flickering on and off until I eventually turned it off (also to a small electrical shock). I slept maybe 2.5 hours out of the 10 or so we were there. The bed was OK but with everything else, heat in the room, noise form outside of car doors slamming all night long, I found it difficult to rest. There are many other options in the area so next time we will choose one of those. Unless everything else is full or you fell like tempting fate then I suggest you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hokie-tide
budgethostVa, Manager at Budget Host Inn, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you.