“Just OK”

Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Wytheville
PA
“Just OK”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stopped here on our way back from Myrtle Beach. We made reservations earlier that day when we knew we would need a place to stay. When we arrived, our room was ready and it was huge. I think it was an accessible room because there was so much empty space. Unfortunately, one of the queen beds was a portable in the wall with no box spring. It was a mattress on a board. We couldn't get to sleep on it and had to switch with the kids. The other queen was pretty comfortable. The morning breakfast wasn't bad. It was really crowded which was to be expected. It was ok for a place to lay your head for a few hours as a layover.

1 Thank midasttt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
columbus
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here one night on first floor. Room was clean, nice TV, good linens, good shower. FREE breakfast was normal stuff - food was HOT and eating area clean. Pool area was clean! Easy on and off Freeway.

Room Tip: I liked first floor only one elevator
1 Thank muff1234
Chester, Virginia
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Upon traveling to Pigeon Forge, TN, we found ourselves in heavy rain and very slow traffic on I-81S. The Comfort Inn came into view at Fort Chiswell, VA--so we stopped for the night. The front desk clerk was very professional and even recommended a couple of places nearby to eat. Our non-smoking king room was VERY CLEAN. We did not use the pool area. The breakfast was typical of the Comfort Inns. Next time we are in the area, we will stop again to sightsee at Fort Chiswell. The value we paid for the room as a walk-in was very good. The room was quiet without any interstate noise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Uniontown, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We reservedc2 non smoking room, a king and 2 queens. The queen was fine except the floor was filthy. Our room was so dirty. The carpet had spots all over it. I went to go to the restroom and there was blood on the shower curtain.They said we could look at another room and it smelled so badly of smoke there was no way I could stay in there. I told the man at the front desk that I hah had lung cancer and just couldn't stay in a room that smelled like that. He said I would have to stay in the room with blood in it because he didn't have anything else. He said he did have the honeymoon suite but it was way more than I paid so I couldn't have that. I asked him if he would stay in a room with blood in it. He said I had no choice. I asked him to call someone, he said not at this hour. I asked for the number so I could call and he gave me the honeymoon suite. Had to go back down because he "forgot" to activate the key.guess what... Honeymoon suite stunk of smoke too only not as bad. So as my husband lies here sleeping, I'm writing this. What a dirty smelly place.

Room Tip: Tip would be to go to comfort suites. Stayed there before great value , clean, courteous staff
1 Thank Rebecca S

Travelers are raving about these Wytheville hotels

Oxford, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Traveling from FL to NY we were looking for a hotel that was pet friendly - we were traveling with one small dog. This hotel is a great location for that middle of the trip- just need sleep stop. I believe it was more the truck stop atmosphere but I was tired and it was dark out!

Check In - My husband headed inside to check in and it seemed to go pretty smoothly. He requested a first or second floor room for my fear of elevators. The clerk asked him at check in if we had any dogs with us and we paid the $10 pet fee. Once we were checked in - bringing in our bags, I thought it was odd the clerk was sitting on the couch in the lobby reading - almost laying down. She did not acknowledge us as we came in and out other than to peer at the dog we had with us.

Room - Upon entering the room it appears decent. Immediately we notice the windows open which is nice but one of two windows would not lock and we were on the first floor. My husband had to realign the window on track to get it closed to lock. Housekeeping must have never noticed it was even open.

Closer inspection made me uneasy - there was a coffee stain on the vanity in the bathroom. The stain was large and came off with one swipe of a cold washcloth. Obviously the vanity was never cleaned by housekeeping. The toilet paper had maybe a quarter inch left on the roll with a backup hiding behind it. This is really just an observation - but its the details that make you feel welcomed. Change out the roll before a new guest arrives and leave the smaller one as well. When you are so bored as a clerk that you are lounging in the lobby - these are small things that you could be doing to make a difference.

The bathtub had some kind of waste sitting on top of the drain. Looking over the bathroom the counter is pulling apart from the wall, the mirror also pulling from the wall. There was hot water- that was the only good.

Beds were comfortable although after seeing the bathroom wasn't cleaned I could not sleep wondering if the beds were ever cleaned. The room had 2 queen beds and they were each made up differently with one having sheets pulled up and one having the sheets folded over. Almost like one bed was used before and they did not notice or change it.

The worst aspect of the hotel was that the following morning - the electric was going on and off. There was no storm - bright blue skies and only our hallway seemed to be affected. At first I thought it was our room. As we were getting ready the lights would go out and come on. When we left the room to get breakfast the entire hallway was going out and on. The girl working the front desk noticed that I was concerned, but did not offer any reasoning or assurance. There is clearly an electrical issue since when I was plugging in a hair dryer, the plug just fell out of the outlet. There were 3 outlets next to each other, apparently when one stops working they add another and another.

Breakfast was included and consisted of the same cereal, bagel, danish and waffle set up. Everything was as good as expected in terms of a continental breakfast.

Check out - as most hotels these days, check out was quick and done without issue.

PROS: Right off of the interstate

CONS: Poor cleanliness, electrical issues, staff not engaged with guests

North East Ohio
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Room was fine. Comfortable bed. A/D was the typical, loud wall unit--annoying. Whoever chlorinated the pool went overboard. The entire lobby and hallways smelled of strong chlorine. Nauseating. Breakfast was okay. Microwave sausage and egg patties, fresh-made waffles, juice, coffee, doughnuts, oatmeal, yogurt, cereal. Plenty from which to choose.

Room Tip: Ask for back of hotel if the noise from the interstate bothers you.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were coming home from Flordia and honestly we were all done, when we pulled in around 10. We had been traveling through a huge storm listening to tornado watches, warnings, through 5 states. Unfortanly Mother Nature was still chasing us, We we're greeted with a friendly face, and come to find out she grew up very near where we live! The only problem we had was our friends parents had stayed in 2 Comfort Inn's on this trip and were supposed to get a free night and was on the phone forever trying to get it (they never did). I'm very picky on hotels and was afraid of the $80.00 but I figured it one night I'll live, let me tell you I was shocked the room was clean if anything it smelled like fresh paint, and comparable to a Hampton Inn as far as bedding. I watched the local 11pm news and we were under a tornado warning again, then I saw lightning outside I like to take pictures of storms and being a nervous nelly never having really dealt with tornados, I went down to go take some pictures of the storm and the night clerk was up with the weather channel on, very nicely she told me I could go back to bed and if anything happened she would awaken the whole hotel, not to worry. I explained to her I love capturing weather, very nicely she asked me to be careful, the wind, rain, thunder and lightning pounded the area that night why am I saying all this? Because no one in the hotel knew any of this was going on until I showed them in the morning. So I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family