“No offence intended, but really?”

Skeeter's World Famous Hotdogs
Ranked #6 of 62 Restaurants in Wytheville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Serving up great food since 1925, Skeeter’s has been serving world famous “SKEETERDOGS” to locals and travelers for generations. Experience Skeeter’s “World Famous Hotdogs” a true Wytheville tradition!
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Seriously? People are giving five stars? Skeeter’s is an interesting old place, but if you are judging by the hot dogs only, something is very wrong with these reviews.

This place is a slice of old small town America. Old charm is what we call “never been renovated” in the real world.

No disrespect to the owners (and they obviously read and reply to these reviews), but this is really just an interesting stop…very nostalgic; and by that I mean there have been zero improvements in probably 50 years…at least. I think the bar top is masonite; clearly Wytheville has no health department or they get a historical waiver.

An old rotary phone sits on the wall…and it rings. A call came in for one of the master hot dog makers (nice local ladies) and she hastily tells the person who answered, “take a message and tell them not to call at lunch time”. The “lunch rush” at the time was less than a dozen people, all eating the simplest hot dogs on the planet and there are two women making them. It was entertaining watching them get stressed about four toppings and ten people! They were really trying and were nice people though.

The hot dogs are nothing special…in fact I was stunned after reading the reviews on the web exactly how not special they are. They are very pink…not sure why because they have no special taste but I think that comes from old time curing salts. They are tiny, real small. They offer four ingredients to top with and actually have a menu to assist you on what combos you can do…in case you cant work that out yourself.

Four ingredients, chili (I think it was), cheese (a stretch calling it cheese, I’ll call it “cheese type product”), slaw and onions. With all the highly complicated ingredients and the crush of ten people, the nice ladies had six hot dogs returned in the 15 minutes we were there because they were apparently made wrong…or something.

The tiny concession stand grade hot dogs are put in front of you on a napkin…on the 50 year old+ porous masonite bar counter. They taste…like hot dogs. I’m not trying to be mean here, but they clearly have not been around to see the improvements made to the hot dog in the past half century. I came here thinking “world famous” and they had been here so long they had to be “crazy good”. Nope, I blow them away at home, without trying (think “Nathan’s”).

The tea was not great. I wonder if it was brewed, because it has that “instant” background taste. There may be a type of tea that makes that weird flavor because I’ve tasted it before and it’s not good tea. My wife asking for part sweet and part un-sweet was a challenge…they could do it, but the ten people and four ingredients we were pushing the nice ladies a bit. Want lemon? Here’s a squirt pack…a squirt pack of concentrated lemon juice.

This is a cool old place stuck in time, but do not come here expecting a good hot dog or toppings. Just eat one and then you can say you did it.

One thing I give them a lot of credit for is they do have Texas Pete hot sauce! This should be mandatory everywhere. I give them an extra star for that for a total of two stars. The one star I would have given is based solely on the hot dogs and the lack of anything that made them even basically a great hot dog. (world famous?)

I give them credit for being in business still. Somehow the locals have not made it out to the rest of the world either…because they still come in and eat it up…like it was something new 88 years ago. It is remarkable that this place stays in business, but between the locals and the trap of a road- trip web search bringing curious travelers in for an expensive lunch (relatively speaking) must keep them going.

4  Thank adrenoreceptor
SkeetersVA, Owner at Skeeter's World Famous Hotdogs, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

@adrenoreceptor
Good morning. We are glad that you stopped in to Skeeter's. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience as many generations of locals and travelers have experienced continue to come back to enjoy. We hope that the positive TripAdvisor reviews show that people love and enjoy Skeeter's "World Famous Hotdogs!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I enjoy going to Skeeters for their food, atmosphere, and friendly staff. This historic location is unique and has such a quaint and cozy feeling, taking me back to a time long ago. The pictures on the walls and memorabilia offer a glimpse into the past and best of all I love the Skeeter dogs! Rachel Ray listed it as one of the top 100 hot dog stands. That's a true testament to the deserved popularity of this restaurant. This restaurant is also located near a First Lady's Birthplace Museum, the Edith Bolling Wilson Birthplace Museum. Be sure to visit that national treasure and historic site just a few steps down from this restaurant.

2  Thank jmiller10
SkeetersVA, Owner at Skeeter's World Famous Hotdogs, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

@jmiller10
Thank you for the shout out! We are proud to be in Downtown Wytheville since 1925 and able to keep the restaurant very original! Looking forward to you coming back soon.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

An old Army buddy of mine from Limestone, TN turned my wife and I on to Skeeter's and we loved stopping in while passing through Wytheville last year. We loved the ladies who waited on us and loved the dogs. Order any dog you want....you can't go wrong at Skeeter's. We plan on stopping every time we pass this way. I was just there but it was Sunday and both you and the Log Cabin were closed. RATS! See you soon, I hope.

SkeetersVA, Owner at Skeeter's World Famous Hotdogs, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

CarolinaPacko,
Thank you for making Skeeter's your stop during your travels! The gang at Skeeter's thanks your buddy for mentioning us to you and your wife. We are proud that we will be a part of all of your future travels through Wytheville. Come see us Monday - Friday 7 am - 5 pm and Saturday 7 am - 5 pm.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Skeeter's is not just a place, it is an experience. The menu is limited, but everything is spot on for flavors. My wife and I had "The Works" hot dogs (only $0.10 more than the basic "Slaw Dog"). The tastes melded perfectly. Many locals came in to have "just a snack" before they went home. If you are in Whytheville, VA you must try out Skeeters.

1  Thank Marvin B
SkeetersVA, Owner at Skeeter's World Famous Hotdogs, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Marvin B,
Thank you for the shout out! We are glad that you enjoyed a Skeeter Dog a true Wytheville tradition! Looking forward to you coming back soon.

Thank you once again for the Trip Advisor shout out!

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This place is all about the history and the atmosphere. You have to eat here at least once just to say you've done it. We eat here every time we come to Wytheville. Love "The Works" hot dogs - chili, cheese, onions and slaw. Yum! Not fancy. Just good!

1  Thank travelgal_0511