“Classic Marriott quality but a tad high on the rate”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Wytheville
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Wytheville
Columbus, Ohio
“Classic Marriott quality but a tad high on the rate”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed here on my down to Isle of Palms, SC for a week at thye beach with my wife and friends. The hotel appears to be fairly new, exceptionally clean and well staffed. This what I have come to expect from Marriott brands and this location did not disapoint. It's also why I'm just a few nights away from Platinum Elite.

Great free breakfast and the hotel provides free wireless internet (didnt use the wi-fi).

The rate for a Friday night was $127 sans tax which I thought should have been more like $99.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed September 7, 2011

My last review of this hotel was stellar. That was only 4 months ago. This hotel is going downhill fast. My room smelled horribly when I arrived; thank goodness for travel size Febreeze, bathroom not clean, floor needed vacuumed, front desk personnel unfriendly and non-existent (seems they hide in the back to avoid helping anyone). I will try the Hampton Inn and suites next door the next time I travel through this area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Vineland, New Jersey
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Older facility that is extremely well maintained and spotless.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Tybee Island, Georgia
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Room & bathroom large & clean.
Great nightlight in bathroom. Dining area spotless & food VERY good. ALL personnel were polite & friendly.

• Stayed August 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stopped here on our way to a beach house stay in North Carolina. The location is perfect, and the hotel was clean; it was one of the nicer looking Fairfield Inns that I've stayed in. We loved having a jacuzzi in our room--our toddler was able to use that as his "swimming pool", which he got a kick out of. Breakfast was fine for a Fairfield Inn and they had everything our toddler would want for breakfast (fruit, cereal, milk, juice).

The major issue that I had was with the service. I got up around 6am to work out in the fitness center (which had great equipment). My key would not work in the door to the fitness center. I went to look for someone at the front desk and no one was to be found. I looked all around because I know that the hotel has limited service and that the employees have to do multiple jobs. I looked outside, down the hallways, in the back, anywhere I could. I found a breakfast area worker finally, who tried to help me find the front desk person as well, to no avail. By the time I could locate someone (45 minutes or so later), my toddler had woken up for the day and I no longer could get a work out in.

Would we stay here again? Definitely. But it really would be nice if the hotel installed a "Ring Bell for Service" or something similar at the front desk, so I don't have to waste so much time trying to find someone to help me in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Emily A
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We've stayed in Wytheville,VA on our annual summertime trek south to visit family for many years. This is a very convenient hotel at the intersection of I-77N and I-81S. The hotel itself is off the I-77 side, but in eyeshot of I-81. The hotel is very clean, stylish and has a friendly staff. It's no frills, but perfect for relaxing after driving all day.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank awfountain3
Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Hotel was modern, nice large rooms with good desk & office chair, comfortable bed, excellent bath room with nice amenities, bright lighting, high efficiency toilet, Room was large and had micro fridge. Wide screen TV but no HD channels. Front desk was friendly; great recommendation for dinner was the “Log House 1776” which is in a log house built that year. Good food and unique atmosphere. Breakfast at the hotel was fine with good choice of cereals, fresh bananas, the premium fruit cups etc.
High speed internet was worse than poor; slow and kept dropping off requiring me to log on several times within just a few minutes. I called tech support and after a 20 minute hold and talking to them it was not corrected. Finally had to give up and loose productivity for the entire evening. Can’t say if this was a one-off random problem or if it is ongoing issue.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business