All reviewsvirginia roomgourmet breakfastget awaysperfect place to get awayfantastic hostsget away from it allbed and breakfastmountain streamperfect getawaytouring the blue ridge parkwayhighly recommend this b bfire pitbirthday weekenddietary restrictionsbeautiful creeka wonderful place to staysitting room
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We decided to stay here after we read the reviews and where also recommended on a TA forum. We were doing a US roadtrip which was completed by driving the BRP.

The house itself is beautiful, off the beaten track and by the side of a small river. The house is old and is decorated to compliment this. We didn't go into the lounge area, it was so very dark and unappealing. The veranda was excellent though, with several rocking chairs to enjoy the surroundings.

Our room was nice, in keeping with the period. It was clean and the bed was small but comfortable. It did have a musty smell though..ok it’s an old house, but we have stayed in similar period houses which managed to be rid of such odours.

The breakfast was very nice, as with most good B&B breakfasts in America, there was plenty of it.

The owner helped by recommending a good place to eat that night – an Italian (Mike Gs?), one of the best we’ve ever had! He also kindly opened a bottle of wine for me, after an all day driving stint, a glass of wine on the veranda was most welcome. There was homemade cake on the side for guests to be tempted with.

The owners, while helpful and accommodating were quite distant (for want of a better word), although all our needs were met, they were not the most welcoming of hosts (seemingly judgemental / lack of smiles). An example was when we were leaving; we couldn’t find anyone to say thank you to. We could hear chores being carried out in the kitchen so knocked on the door a couple of times, there was no answer, so without being rude and just leaving without saying good bye, we opened the door to tell them we were off. We were met with a cold response from the owner (Mike), who seemed quite unhappy we had dared open the door to the kitchen area. Not the response we were looking for! For me it's not only the cleanliness and facilities of a B&B that matter, people who go for the B&B experience also quite rightly expect to be welcomed into the house and to feel comfortable at all times. It's a shame this one fell short in that area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ElizabethGClaxton
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I got married at the Inn in October, and it was amazing! I really hate planning events because I don't like making decisions, and the Inn Keepers made it so easy. They asked us a few simple questions, and all we basically had to do was show up. Everything was PERFECT - they knew exactly what I wanted and how I wanted it. My husband and I were blown away by the hospitality and kindness of them, along with the entire town. Everybody there is extra nice, like in the movies. Plus, if they suggest a location, place, or person for your event - just trust them. The hair dresser did my hair EXACTLY how I wanted it, the cake was EXACTLY how I imagined it, and the photographs (done by the Inn Keepers) were of professional quality - even though they claim to not be professionals. I would highly recommend the Mountain Rose Inn!!!

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank everafter107
Reviewed October 23, 2012

What an ideal setting. Quiet, clean, and comfortable house and rooms. Mike and Dora Jane were great hosts...............................................................................................................

Highly recommended,

D. Kirkland

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Mike and Dora Jane could not have been more wonderful. Everything was perfect. The room we stayed in was lovely and having a view of the front was a great way to start the day. Breakfast was great, the selections were fantastic. I wish we could have stayed longer and look forward to a return trip.
The roads leading into Woolwine were quite interesting and provided a great conversation starter with other guests at the Inn. We arrived in the evening and seeing the Inn at night was breathtaking, and that was my same thought when seeing the Inn the next morning. Such a serene and calming location.
The local area has so much to see and do. The town of Floyd is very close, and there are wineries just down the Parkway from the Inn. I would suggest to anyone planning on staying in this area of Virginia to stay here. I will be back for sure!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Mountain-Rose, Manager at Mountain Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Kelly,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at the Inn.

I liked how you described the roads in our area for they are indeed interesting. Part of the fun in coming to mountains is getting to drive/ride the mountain roads. And the views from these roads can just be spectacular!

We do hope to see you again!

All our best,
Mike & Dora Jane
Innkeepers

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Our room was lovely. The breakfasts were out of this world, and there is plenty to see and do (or not). Glad we found our way to this lovely place. We loved wandering through the boxwood, strolling by the creek and checking out the gardens. Mike was a great help in recommending a great place to eat and making our reservations. Breakfast was beyond delicious, and fueled us up for a great day of exploring. Don't forget to check out the covered bridges, and pay a visit to fairystone park. The town of Floyd is a lot of fun too, be sure to head there on Friday night, when Main street comes to life!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple