Woodberry Inn(Meadows of Dan)(Great Value!)
$99
$119
Hampton.com
Deluxe Inn(Martinsville)
$103
Quality Inn Dutch Inn(Collinsville)
$55
All reviewsvirginia roomgourmet breakfastget awaysperfect place to get awayfantastic hostsget away from it allbed and breakfastmountain streamperfect getawaydriving the blue ridge parkwayhighly recommend this b bfire pitbirthday weekenddietary restrictionsbeautiful creeka wonderful place to staysitting room
Reviewed October 23, 2012

What an ideal setting. Quiet, clean, and comfortable house and rooms. Mike and Dora Jane were great hosts...............................................................................................................

Highly recommended,

D. Kirkland

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Mike and Dora Jane could not have been more wonderful. Everything was perfect. The room we stayed in was lovely and having a view of the front was a great way to start the day. Breakfast was great, the selections were fantastic. I wish we could have stayed longer and look forward to a return trip.
The roads leading into Woolwine were quite interesting and provided a great conversation starter with other guests at the Inn. We arrived in the evening and seeing the Inn at night was breathtaking, and that was my same thought when seeing the Inn the next morning. Such a serene and calming location.
The local area has so much to see and do. The town of Floyd is very close, and there are wineries just down the Parkway from the Inn. I would suggest to anyone planning on staying in this area of Virginia to stay here. I will be back for sure!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Mountain-Rose, Manager at Mountain Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Kelly,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at the Inn.

I liked how you described the roads in our area for they are indeed interesting. Part of the fun in coming to mountains is getting to drive/ride the mountain roads. And the views from these roads can just be spectacular!

We do hope to see you again!

All our best,
Mike & Dora Jane
Innkeepers

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Our room was lovely. The breakfasts were out of this world, and there is plenty to see and do (or not). Glad we found our way to this lovely place. We loved wandering through the boxwood, strolling by the creek and checking out the gardens. Mike was a great help in recommending a great place to eat and making our reservations. Breakfast was beyond delicious, and fueled us up for a great day of exploring. Don't forget to check out the covered bridges, and pay a visit to fairystone park. The town of Floyd is a lot of fun too, be sure to head there on Friday night, when Main street comes to life!

1  Thank Debbie B
Reviewed October 16, 2012

It was very easy to get lost trying to find the Mountain Rose Inn after dusk. It took us 20 extra minutes to get there. When we finally found the place, Mike was not welcoming whatsoever, and made it very clear that it was a supreme inconvenience for him that we were late. He continued to disappoint us with his lack of hospitality throughout the weekend. He actually yelled at me when I knocked on the door to the kitchen to ask him a question! And though there is absolutely no cell phone service in the area regardless of provider, there was no 'guest phone' available to use. And so once again, having to ask to use the private house line, my husband and I were chided for making outgoing calls. The serene grounds on which Mountain Rose Inn stands, and the old home's delicate Victorian decor do not outweigh the awkwardness that my husband and I felt as we moved about the house in our comings and goings. Should you have to walk on eggshells at a B&B? Absolutely not.

2  Thank LivnEz

Dear LivnEz,

Ouch!! What a complete surprise this review from you is. I am sorry your experience was not what you were expecting and for letting you down. I’ll attempt to address your concerns below.

I sympathized with you both when your Sunday Oct. 7th 5 PM outdoor wedding plans at the Winery were ruined by rain and near freezing temps. I also understood how frustrating it can be to drive in the heavy fog and misting rain and to get lost coming to a place that your husband had already been to that day. I now fear that those ruined plans and difficult drive may have altered your perception of your overall experience here a bit.

A bit of information - innkeepers are people too and are susceptible to catch colds, be sick, etc and yet almost always, we work anyway because we care about our business and our guests. Earlier on the day of your arrival, I phoned your fiancé (after he came by the Inn to drop off his car before the wedding) to let him know that I was not feeling well and that you might have to check yourself in if I had already retired for the evening, but that I would leave detailed instructions. We had a pleasant conversation, and he seemed agreeable. (Self check-ins for very late arrivals are somewhat common in the B&B world because almost all small B&Bs are ran by a limited staff. In this case, both my wife & I were not feeling well but did not have other staff available to handle a very late check-in.) A little after 11 pm that evening, I heard what sounded like firecrackers going off in the yard, so I got up to investigate to find that your groomsmen had filled your SUV with balloons and you were popping them all upon your arrival. I mentioned hearing your 21-gun salute when you walked in, but was trying to be jovial to the best of my ability. I guess my attempt at humor came across wrong. I did a really quick check-in for you given the late hour and knowing that you had had a long day and were probably tired. After all, what young couple wants to spend time with an Innkeeper on your wedding night?

When we have honeymooners staying at the Inn, we try to give them their space and alone time. I remember our honeymoon, and I didn’t want to be with anyone but the woman I just married. Because of your long night and your being newlyweds, we served you a complimentary breakfast-in-bed so that you could enjoy your first morning together – just the two of you. Again, with that same thought in mind, I made home-made cocoa for you on Mon evening and delivered it to your room to enjoy as you watched a movie. I guess my attempts at giving you peace and quiet for a romantic honeymoon came across as awkward and for that I apologize.

Cell reception is very limited here at the Inn but most of guests find that to be a good thing as they can enjoy some peace & quiet! Verizon and US Cellular seem to work best, especially for sending and receiving texts. There is nearly always a cordless phone available in the guest hallway, except when it needs charging. We aren’t concerned about outgoing phone calls ever, as we have free long distance on that phone line. The judgment you cast in regards to my being concerned about outgoing calls seems out of character as my wife and I often make a point to tell our guests to feel free to use the house phone. It’s even listed in our room informational books that there is a house phone available for use. Perhaps your frustration with your cell phone carrier was misplaced. I do recall having to show your husband how to use the phone. I assumed incorrectly that everyone knew to dial a “1” before the area code and then the remaining seven digits on a land-line to get a call to go through. He was unhappy that the phone calls were not going through when trying to reach his mother with a New Jersey phone number. So I simply showed him that the phone worked when “1” was dialed.

I truly don’t understand the yelling comment. Perhaps it sounded like yelling when indeed it was a call that just came across as loud. (My ears were still partially blocked though I was on the mend, otherwise.) I was in the kitchen cooking or washing dishes and couldn’t get to your request without drying my hands or turning off the stove. Was it possibly a loudly called “just a minute” or “be right there”, perhaps misinterpreted?

Every bed and breakfast is not right for every traveler. And in the case, we were apparently not right for you as our quiet manner with our guests made you uncomfortable. I thought we got along well and that you were happy when you left, so I was quite shocked to read this review. A phrase I have learned in this business over the past 7 years in this business is “no good deed goes unpunished”, and it certainly rings true in this case.

We always endeavor to improve here at the Inn and use every comment, whether negative or positive, to build upon. We will continue to do our very best to meet our guests’ expectations.

Again, Molly & Brian, please accept my apologies for under-delivering hospitality.

Best wishes to you both,
Mike

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We were traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway ...in the fog...and were so pleased to have this wonderful, relaxing place to stay. Dora Jane is a superb hostess and breakfast was delicious. Our room was large, more than comfortable and we were thrilled to have wifi and satellite tv. The front porch rocking chairs are so inviting and "Cat" is friendly and loves attention. There are no negatives about this beautiful inn. Just wish there was a "dinner" place close by. We were tired of driving in the fog only to have to drive many miles for something to eat.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sylvia G

Dear Sylvia,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Inn, but am so sorry that you didn't get to see the beautiful vistas from the Parkway because of the foggy weather. Sure hope you will return again some day to experience our beautiful area in better weather.

All my best,