“Good food, service, and ambiance”

Spring House Tavern
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Woodstock
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

The food was very good, I had the bacon, turkey & swiss sandwich. My friends had hamburgers, home made potato chips and french fries. Service was good considering the number of people there. The only complaint was a family next to us with two small children that ran around their table.

1  Thank Dianne113

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This restaurant is not you typical bar fare of burgers and wings. The menu is varied and has something for everyone. Forget french fries try their homemade chips!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We dine out a lot but have never felt the need to write a review until now: Ridiculous!! We had eaten at the Spring House 5 years ago for my parents 60th wedding anniversary and loved it. They were very accommodating for a special event. Since it was such a pleasant experience, we decided to celebrate their 65th Anniversary there. We reserved a room for 17 people, one week in advance for 12:30 on a Sunday. We were seated shortly after our prompt arrival. 45 minutes later, with no explanation for the delay, a friendly waitress took our drink order. 15 minutes later, our teas, waters, and soft drink were served. Not that we were asked, but by that time, no one wanted to further delay our meal order by requesting an appetizer. We asked for crackers twice for our elderly diabetic mom and 3-yr old niece. A member of our party finally went to the kitchen for crackers. She was handed 2 packages of saltines. She told them " I need more than that! I have 17 starving people out here!" To wash down the crackers, we refilled our own water/teas from the pitchers on the mantel. That sustained us for a little while. The beautiful salads finally arrived at 1:50. Those of us who didn't order salads were in awe. Our entrees were served by one waitress from 2-2:15. It appeared that she was waiting on half the restaurant. We requested bread with our entrees, and were given some dry, thin, sliced sourdough bread. Most of the food was very good, except for the " Best Ribs in the Valley." Out of 5 rib orders, 2 were burnt to a crisp. The waitress kindly replaced the 2 rib orders, but both were without new side dishes. At no time did a manager ever approach us with apologies for the burnt ribs, nor for the 2 1/2 hr lunch. The waitress didn't apologize either. I guess she knew she had an 18% gratuity guaranteed regardless. The hostess finally assisted our waitress with clean-up and to offer dessert. We all had intended to order it had it not been so late, and our father's oxygen tank was running low by then. Besides that, bugs were biting a few of us. We don't know if they possibly came through the large hole in the ceiling with falling plaster. The worst part of the day was when my 83 year old dad kept saying "Let's just leave-- there's a Cracker Barrel just down the road." I would recommend this restaurant if you enjoy good food and have a couple hours to kill. Provided you don't mind an extremely casual atmosphere, with over-worked staff, in a run-down establishment.

2  Thank mayesfarm
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Like others, Spring House Tavern was recommended to us by the front desk clerk at our hotel. We dined with our 2 boys on an evening that was not busy for the restaurant. Our server was friendly and pleasant. 3 of us ordered ribs and 1 had chicken tenders. The ribs were fall off the bone tender and everything was piping hot. Our drinks were never empty and our server was right there to refill. Great iced tea! The coleslaw was a bit vinegary for my taste. This restaurant is dark but we enjoyed the atmosphere as there are a number of rooms to dine in. Our bill was reasonable for the 4 of us at just over $50 with no alcoholic beverages.

If we are ever in Woodstock, VA again, we would definitely return.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I decided to dine at the Spring House Tavern since the concierge at the hotel recommended it and the restaurant had a really neat history. The interior of the restaurant has a lot of historical structure and is a cool place to dine. I ordered the Alice Special hamburger, since their hamburgers come highly regarded. In addition, I ordered the fried mushrooms as an appetizer.

The server was friendly and efficient, however, the food was horrible. First, the mushrooms. They were clearly from a frozen package, as they disintegrated in my mouth instead of having substance. Next, the burger was cremated, even though I had ordered it medium. In fact, the entire patty was burned black on the bottom, as if the cook forgot about it. I guess the cook does not take pride in his food because I would never serve anything like that. I mean, really, how long would it take to recook a burger--especially if the waitress cam out and apologized and explained what happened. It's not like I was with a big group--I was by myself. It is a shame that the burger was so burned because the flavor of the meat was very good. Needless to say, this place is off my list whenever I am in the area again,

1  Thank stirfry300