“Grows on you..”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodstock
Inn at Narrow Passage
Ranked #1 of 3 Woodstock B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This isn't your typical bed and breakfast. More like a bed and breakfast - "cabin style". Loved the historical building and the history - Ed is full of great facts. The grounds are beautiful and were great for visiting with our friends that came with us. My husband loved that the Shenandoah was within walking distance so he could fish. And there is a great 2 mile road that you can take a lovely stroll to the base of Massanutten mountain. The location is right off of Route 11. It is very loud with traffic during the day - but was very quiet in the evening. (I admit I was concerned at first about that.) Breakfast was delicious and everyone we met there were very nice people. We spent the weekend visiting vineyards in the area and this was a great spot to stay. We hired a driver which worked out great as he took the back road so we could enjoy the scenery while staying safe too. Would definitely stay here again if back in the area...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I have just spent two truly lovely nights at the Inn. Ed is a fountain of knowledge and nothing is too much trouble. The weather was superb so we really enjoyed sitting on our porch overlooking the beautiful gardens savouring the peace and quiet. On Ed 's recommendation we tried several vineyards and drove a chunk of the skyline drive which was an unforgettable experience. Woodstock cafe is great for lunch and the margaritas at las trancas are incredible but the restaurant itself lacks atmosphere. An amazing end to our holiday.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I surprised my sister and her husband with an overnight at this B&B and a hot air balloon ride. All 4 of us thoroughly enjoyed this Inn and especially the proprietor ED! I had read the online reviews; but then the balloon company sent us a list of accommodations and this one was mentioned first. I took that as an omen and booked it. We were NOT disappointed. On a Sunday night, we practically had the place to ourselves. We took Ed's suggestions: Joe's Steakhouse -- an amazing meal I will remember the rest of my days; and the hike on the suspension bridge over the Susquehanna's North Fork river. Since the balloon ride was at dawn, we returned to the B&B around 9:30 in time to enjoy Ed's delicious breakfast -- sitting in the same dining room as Stonewall Jackson. AWESOME!!!
My only recommendation would be different pillows -- felt like I had a rock under my head! LOL

Reviewed July 23, 2013

If you’re looking to explore local history, you might be more likely to enjoy these accommodations. We went with the expectation of a romantic get-away and were disappointed. Although we were assured we were getting one of the "best" rooms in the house, it appeared to be not all that different from all the other rooms—one of twelve in an attached strip-style building reminiscent of highway at roadside motels. The room we stayed in was over-priced and nothing to write home about. The bathroom, which featured only a stall shower was a bit shabby, the bed not particularly comfortable, and the decor lackluster. I came away with the feeling the innkeepers no longer have a passion for the work. Ed's primary focus seemed to be securing our credit card information and the Ellen never even made an appearance. My experience with B&Bs is limited--I've only stayed at two previously--so I don't claim to be an expert. The first two were so amazing--the proprietors so clearly enjoyed the work and the people, the breakfasts leaned more toward the gourmet, and great pains had been taken with the decor--that perhaps any place would pale by comparison. Even so, because I feel the rooms were extremely over-priced, this is not a place I would recommend to friends. On a positive note, there IS a nifty pedestrian suspension bridge near the inn that is worth checking out.

Room Tip: We weren't really given a choice. We asked to look at available rooms and were told all twelve...
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed two nights at the inn.It was a very pleasant alternative to the chain hotels.However,be aware it is not a full service hotel and is probably best for independent travelers.The rooms are very pleasant-nice size,clean and tastefully decorated.The rooms each have their own entrance and are in separate wings from the lobby/dining area.
The lobby is comfortable.I got a particular kick from sitting in same area where general Jackson stayed.The place is full of history and makes a great base for exploring the area.The grounds are nicely groomed and its pleasant to walk down to the river.
Breakfast was very nice.The inn keeper was great-very hospitable.
TVs are a bit small,but we rarely watched it.

1  Thank bdi123
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have been coming to this area to visit our child at camp for several years now, and only found out about this place because of Tripadvisor. We found all the positives that have been mentioned by others to be true - the owner is a font of knowledge about the area, and the inn was well appointed. I'd mention a few things that others haven't - I found the grounds in particular lovely, and there's a nice put-in to fish or canoe (and I suppose swim!) in one of the branches of the Shenandoah for those who like the river. I would characterize this inn as not luxurious, but comfortable and homey. Breakfast was simple and good - scrambled eggs and bacon, and fresh fruit. We found the rooms to be very clean and comfortably appointed, and I suppose the television services have been updated from one of the reviewers, because there were many channels, as well as Wi-Fi. An excellent place to stay if you're in the area - like another reviewer, I was surprised there were not more guests on a summer weekend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Friquent_traveler
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is the perfect location for a weekend getaway; large room with comfortable pillow-top mattress, fireplace, quiet setting overlooking Shenandoah River, close to Civil War historic sites, close to Blue Ridge Parkway, and delightfully hosted by owners Ed and Ellen. We recommend you also visit Joe's Steakhouse for dinner, and Shenandoah Vineyards for wine tasting.

1  Thank PaTravelfan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley
1 mi away
Econo Lodge Woodstock
Econo Lodge Woodstock
#4 of 4 in Woodstock

Been to Inn at Narrow Passage? Share your experiences!