“A very charming B & B” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn at Narrow Passage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodstock
Inn at Narrow Passage
Ranked #1 of 3 Woodstock B&B and Inns
Provincetown, Massachusetts
“A very charming B & B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

We got to spend 4 nights at this charming little inn last month. My first time in the area, visiting for a family reunion, and I wanted a place to escape to after a day spent with family. The room was well appointed, and well maintained.The queen sized canopy bed was comfortable, and faced the fireplace, which, since it was 95+ degrees out during most of our stay, we didn't get to use, but must be wonderful when staying there during the colder months. We had everything we needed for our short stay.The historic main building, a 1740, log, keeping house/inn was decorated to give the feeling of age, and history, with its masive stone fireplaces, wooded floors, and windows looking into the gardens. After a day of visiting with family and friends it was indeed a pleasure to come home to the Inn. The grounds nearby were fun to explore. We crossed the swinging bridge, walked the river, and even waded a bit in the lazy Shenandoah. But, I have to admit, my favorite part of he stay was morning coffee, and breakfast, with the innkeeper, ED. It was a leisurely wake up, with good coffee, and great conversations and felt more like we were visiting friends than staying at an Inn. The Inn at Narrow Passage will be my home, away from home, on every future visit to the Shenandoah Valley.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank petvet9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Ware, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

The Inn at Narrow Passage is possibly not the best known place to stay but is well worth the effort. Ed is a wonderful inn-keeper and we were "royally" looked after. He cooks a great breakfast. and is really good company. We relaxed totally whilst staying here either in the gardens or walking down by the Shenandoah River. Good restaurants near by and lots to do! Will return in the not too distant future hopefully.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gill W
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

This is definitely a nice alternative to the motels on the main strip. The main part of the inn has preserved its historic character, but the same cannot be said for the rooms (at least not ours). Also, a big draw for us was the offer of a ride upstream so that we could float back down in our inner tubes (see under Activities on the website). But beware: this offer is no longer available, even though we were assured it could be worked out when we called in advance.

Breakfasts are ok, but no coffee maker in the room was a drawback (after all, if the rooms have been modernized, then at least offer some of the positive features!)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DishesToDieFor
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

In wanting a lovely weekend getaway for some time now, I had reserved a weekend in April 2012. In living out my passion… that life, needs to be fulfilled with spontaneous adventure. With that said I pulled out a map of the region and trusted that God would guide my steps. I closed my eyes and dropped the pen. It landed on a quaint place in Woodstock, Virginia. I chose a B&B, The Inn at Narrows Passage. After placing a call for my reservation, I received top notice bonuses immediately! This adventure was starting off quite nicely! Upon my arrival to this divine place tucked in the Blue Ridge Mountains, along the Shenandoah River. I was greeted with warm down home hospitality. My cozy suit with wood burning fireplace was perfect to nestling in for the cool evening. Falling asleep while listening to the fire crackle and feeling the warmth of the heat was relaxing and soothing to my soul. To my delight, I awoke to a glorious sunny morning. The surrounding grounds were lovely, and the fragrance of the spring blossoms filled the air. The Inn Keeper has prepared a wonderful spread of coffee, blueberry crumble, fresh fruit, eggs, and perfectly cooked bacon. I feasted on all the delights of my palette. I started my day with a 2 mile hike, then, as luck might find me, I came across a suspension bridge that crosses the Shenandoah River. I found the experience a bit like walking on a boat. I climb the hillside for a wonderful quiet devotional. After such blissful mediation, I ventured back across the bridge; I caught a glimpse of some fishermen in a boat who were fly-fishing. This technique of fly fishing was serene. The dance with the line and tempest fish I might say. Back at the lodge I took to the lens and captured some beautiful pictures surrounding the local area. By afternoon I was off to a wine tasting at a nearby vineyard. After sample the local reserve, I tipped my glass to a lovely afternoon on the porch of the vineyard. Soaking in the scenery of the mountains, and landscape I found an inner calm I have not been in touch with for a while. Settling in my room for the evening, with local fair from the market. I picnicked, while catching up with an outline of my next book. I spent the remainder of my time devouring the last pages of my current read. Alas, I finally surrendered sweet slumber, as my sleepy eyes closed over my peaceful soul and rest gently soothed my form. Sunday arrived with the gentle rain tinkling on the tin roof. The sound, a pure delight to the ear. I quickly arose to greet the morning. The Inn Keep has prepared delicious French toast, thick mounds of maple custard bread, along with fresh fruit, current scones, sausage’s, and coffee and teas. I must say this was quite a challenge to finish such delicacies, but alas, I could not. Meeting others who had traveled to this best kept retreat was the topping to my morning. While we chatted the Inn Keeper told quaint, adorable stories of a time gone by. I felt refreshed and wonderfully relaxed. My weekend retreat is just what every woman needs. We are divinely emotional creature. The way God made us to be. Taking the time to refresh our spirit and calm our soul with the partaking of the things we love is a highly recommended order. Sharing my delights with the world… teaching women, one day at a time to… Take Care of YOU.
Suzanne S.

Room Tip: Delightfully quiet rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Suzanne S
Lexington Park, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

My girlfriend and I recently spent a weekend at the Inn. We were looking for a place that was comortable, historic, and peaceful. We found that and more!!! The Inn and grounds were beautiful and inviting. Our room was immaculate and the fireplace was perfect for relaxing the cool evenings. However, the highlight of our stay was our mornings spent having breakfast by the grand rock fireplace in the dining room (built in 1740) with the Inn Keeper Ed. Ed was a phenominal host who went out of his way to make our stay perfect. He was very knowledgeable of both the history of the area and the places and people to visit today.

4 Thank John F
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Inn two weeks ago. Our aim was to take a lovely drive and have a relaxing evening away from home. We were very pleased with our choice of the Inn at Narrow Passage. The room was immaculate,tastefully decorated and very comfortable. We loved the fireplace in our room as well as having breakfast by the fire in the dining room. There were snacks readily available in the lobby (chips, cookies, sodas, and water). Our host was welcoming and pleasant. from the moment we arrived. He had wonderful stories to tell at breakfast as he was serving our freshly made breakfast of french toast, the best sausage I have ever had along with assorted pastries and fresh fruit. I would not hesitate to stay here again. We had a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Our corner room had a great sense of privacy Rooms with fireplaces add a nice ambience.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

Setting on the shenandoah river with a mountain backdrop, it is a beautiful location. The rooms are nice with a rustic feel to them, but also have a television. The weather was a bit cold during our visit, but the vineyard is close by and accomodating restaurants within 5 minutes. The breakfast was not fancy but bountiful and the owner Ed, was kind, courteous and attentive. They even have fireplaces in the rooms to improve the ambiance. Hope to come back when the leaves are changing and when the weather is more condusive to outdoor activities.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,108 reviews

Been to Inn at Narrow Passage? Share your experiences!