“Clean Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Woodstock
Woodstock, Virginia
“Clean Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I would stay at this hotel again any night. Nice clean rooms. Shower had good water pressure. Offered a nice breakfast in the morning, really loved the Cinnamon buns. Friendly Staff. Great place to stay.

1 Thank Amber K
hiewoodstock, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Amber K,

Thank you for sharing your compliments about our facility and service. We agree, our exclusive Cinnamon Buns are one of the best items on our Express Start Breakfast! We are delighted to welcome you back again any night!

Guest Service Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Decided to spend the night here en route home from Charleston, S.C., because of the favorable reviews here. Y'all were right. The front desk people were quite courteous and efficient, getting us settled in within 10 minutes. That's important when you've been driving since 7 a.m. and it's 5 p.m.

The room was very clean; the essentials were there. The only thing "missing" was the skin lotion but, hey. It has a refrigerator and a microwave and a little coffee maker. The bed was very comfortable.

We realized too late that we were on the highway-facing side; next time, I'd ask for the other side but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the highway.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear nina9153,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're glad that our staff was able to get you settled in efficiently after a long day of driving. We do our best to make every guest feel welcome and comfortable. We do have additional hygiene items available at the front desk including lotion, shaving cream, razors, etc; please don't hesitate to ask our agents as somebody is available 24/7. We look forward to seeing you again on your trip to/from Charleston!

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed 1 night, location was close to Hwy 81 and our route to Maryland. It was very clean, comfortable and well appointed. This is not a luxury resort or vacation destination by itself. But, an excellent choice for the average traveller. Great price, easy to book, very friendly staff. Staff recommended Joe's Steakhouse in Woodstock and we were very pleased with food and service there. Holiday Inn Express offers breakfast, and it is low quality processed food - not great for the healthy conscientious eater. But, the coffee is excellent and the breakfast is convenient if you aren't picky. Room, dining area and lobby very clean. Overall, a great choice and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: No issues with location on 3rd floor. Our room was even on the highway side of building and I did n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Janet B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We strive to provide excellent customer service and appreciate it when guests let us know how we're doing. We're glad you enjoyed our recommendation of Joe's Steakhouse – excellent choice for a delicious dinner! Also, for your future reference; our complimentary Express Start Hot breakfast does include healthier choices including cereal, yogurt and fruit. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Maryland!

huntington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I will preface my review by saying my gripe with this hotel is based on the most aggravating and frustating service experience I've EVER encountered at a hotel.
I called this HIE directly to book a reservation for my daughter's graduation almost 1 year in advance since I didn't want to deal with the room shortages near JMU. I spoke with a receptionist that was helpful and lovely and booked ONE room and carefully went over cancellation policy, proximity to JMU's campus, whether or not smoking was permitted, etc. I am extremely detailed and thorough in my travel arrangement- ALWAYS! There was much discussion about whether I should do a king room or one with 2 beds since I was not sure if my son would stay in our room or on campus. (I believe this is where things went awry)
I was forwarded a confirmation with attachments via email. I read the confirmation quickly and didn't think about it until almost a year later when my Mastercard charge went thru for TWO rooms. I was puzzled so I called the hotel and got the girl that booked the initial reservation on the phone. She said this was a nonrefunable reservation and that there was NOTHING she could do. I explained this was an error and that I NEVER required 2 rooms but would absolutely be there for the 2 nights booked and needed the ONE ROOM. I was beyond upset and frustrated since I certainly didn't want to pay for 2 nights for an empty room. I asked to speak to a manager, and basically put myself at their mercy!
I was not called back and was put off with the excuse of "their in a meeting". I called the corporate booking customer service # and was told this hotel was a franchise and they couldn't help me. I would have to deal with this hotel directly!!
The clerk never identified anyone as a manager and would not give me a name or have anyone call me. They were inflexible and told me there was nothing they would do. Finally, Nadine (still have no idea she is a manager/owner??) gets on the phone and tells me that her clerk remembers me specifacally requesting 2 rooms. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? In essence I am now a LIAR! OMG.
I was told she would only consider cancelling BOTH rooms (leaving me without accomodations on a graduation sold out weekend) or I was stuck paying for 2 rooms.If she was willing to forgo the entire booking then why not cancell the ONE room that was booked in error?? Bluffing- since she knew I needed accomodations?? She FINALLY agreed to a $50.00 + tax penalty for the room I NEVER booked or needed.
In summary, this is a case where there was human error and ZERO customer service or more importantly... humanity! We stayed in ONE room ,as planned and booked back in June of 2012. This hotel was not sold out- they did NOT loose out on a booking because of the error. This was a way for them to make and extra $50-60 dollars.
DISGUSTING... and as far as Holiday Inn Corporate moderating--- just forget it! Do yourself a favor and stay at the brand new Hampton Inn right next door! These people were the worst!
Oh- and by the way, take their retort (that I'm sure will be forth-coming) with a grain of salt. Bottom line is ; the hotel buisness is about customer service, good faith, repeat buisness and brand loyalty.

2 Thank trianonx
hiewoodstock, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear trianonx,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with our hotel. We want all of our guests to be happy and comfortable at our hotel. Aside from this reservation policy issue, it seems that your overall stay experience exceeded your expectations; which pleases us.

You booked with us for the JMU graduation weekend. Because of such a high demand for rooms during this time of year, all reservations had a specific one month prior to arrival cancellation policy. With such limited room availability, such policies are necessary at times. ALL guests who booked with us understood and agreed to this policy at the time of making their reservation(s).

As you stated; when you contacted us about the charges on your credit card, the reservations at that point were non-cancellable, non-refundable. This was because you didn't contact us until after the one month cancellation policy deadline – even having months to cancel beforehand. However, we were willing to work with you. After discussing your situation with management; we offered to cancel the second room in good faith with the cancellation penalty; which you agreed to. As you already mentioned, we did not sell out. This was due to your last minute cancellation. In turn, the hotel lost potential revenue in addition to the difference refunded after the agreed cancellation penalty was assessed. Cancelling your reservation without penalty would be unfair to other guests who honored their commitment to staying with us whether change of plans or change of mind.

Just as you describe yourself as being “extremely detailed and thorough” in making travel arrangements, our reservation process is very detailed and thorough. This being said, we would not randomly make reservations for a second room for any guest without them having asked us to. Speaking of; we had no intention to make you feel as if we were accusing you of lying. During the time of booking, you requested two different room types. In order to do this, our system automatically creates separate confirmation numbers for the specified room type(s). After making your reservations, you were sent a detailed email specifying the cancellation policy. In fact, because you requested this email; we were under the impression that you were a very detailed and proactive person. Because of this, we were surprised that you didn’t contact us about cancelling the second room long before the cancellation policy had passed – especially having booked so far in advance. Additionally, attached to the email were two separate confirmation letters (one for each reservation). Therefore; the hotel did everything possible to ensure you were fully aware of what you booked and the details of each reservation.

While negotiating the cancellation penalty we were trying to help you as much as possible. It seemed as if you weren’t satisfied with our reservation policy. However; it was never our intention to make you think we wanted you to cancel both of your reservations. Especially when the focus of the conversation was negotiating a reasonable and appropriate cancellation fee.

We strive to provide excellent customer service to each and every guest. While this includes repeat business, brand loyalty, and good faith; we believe in doing the right thing. As we do with all our guests, we went above and beyond to help you from the first time you contacted us. With this in mind; we find it unfortunate that you weren't satisfied with our reservation policy as we did everything possible to help you in this situation.

Guest Service Team
Guest Service Is Our #1 Priority!
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Had a wonderful nights stay here. Clean, Quite and good breakfast the next day. Free WiFi... best hotel in the area. Just off interstate easy to find... Room was like every Holiday Inn simple, clean but just fine. Bed was nothing to write home about but was fine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear HappyDude12345,

We appreciate you sharing your wonderful experience during your stay! We're happy you enjoyed our complimentary Express Start Hot breakfast as well as our WiFi access. We appreciate your loyalty to Holiday Inn / Holiday Inn Express and are pleased that we met your expectations of our brand. We look forward to seeing you again should you be traveling through Woodstock in the future.

Guest Services Team
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights while travelling to a family event and it did exactly what it says on the tin - nice sized and clean rooms which looked fairly new. We asked for a quiet room when we made the reservation and we were given a room on the 3rd floor. The weird thing about this place is that reception is on the 2nd floor and you have to go to the end of the hallway to catch the lift if you have luggage (otherwise, the stairs are more convenient to reception).

This hotel had everything we needed: free breakfast (pancakes, hot food, yogurts, cereals, fruit, pastries, bagels, etc.), knowledgeable and friendly staff who gave us some travel advice for the area including winery recommendations which were surprisingly good. There is a decent sized outdoor pool and fitness center. All sorts of fast food in the vicinity along with CVS and Walmart nearby for anything else you need. Oh and it was surprising that there was a microwave in the room.

Very happy with this choice as we also managed to book a decent rate. Highly recommend as a good stopping point in the area. We were here to attend an event at James Madison University which was about 30/35 minutes away without traffic.

Dear Merkey,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your visit to our area! Because of the unique layout of our hotel, the elevator is located at the corner of the building for convenient parking as well as easy access to both hallways of all three floors. We're happy you enjoyed the local wineries – we also have a list of great local restaurants available at the front desk if you'd like something different on your next visit. In addition to this, we offer complimentary access to a full gym right down the road called Anytime Fitness. Glad you were pleased with the accommodations as each room is equipped with a microwave, mini-fridge and coffee pot. Our location is quite convenient as we are close to nearby grocery stores and pharmacies. We welcome you back should you be traveling through the area again to see family.

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was very convenient to I-81 which is good because it is right off the highway and easy to find. However, because it is so close to the highway, there is constant noise from the highway. The hotel was very clean and seemed to be well-run. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The WiFi worked pretty well. We had a king suite which was huge - bigger than my first apartment - with a huge jacuzzi tub, a separate sitting/TV room, and a fridge and microwave. We'd stay here again if we are in the area.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pat D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
#2 of 4 in Woodstock
Days Inn Luray Shenandoah
BEST WESTERN Intown Luray
Fairfield Inn & Suites Strasburg Shenandoah Valley

Been to Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley? Share your experiences!