“Nice views, bar atmosphere”
Review of Waters Edge on the Occoquan - CLOSED

Waters Edge on the Occoquan
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: This Restaurant is CLOSED. Coming in Spring 2014 is The Landing Restaurant and Waterfront Bar. Follow us on Facebook, or google us!
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We wanted seafood near Lorton so we tried Waters Edge. Located on the river next to a cement plant, we didn't expect nice views, but the fall foliage view was great out on the open deck. The atmosphere is more like a huge bar than a restaurant, but it wasn't too noisy at 6:15 on Friday night, though more smokey than we would have preferred with our small grandchildren.

We started with a delicious calamari appetizer. Our party had catfish plates and the $16.95 all you can eat crab specials. The crabs were flavorful and delicious, but served with no sides. My husband and son had the catfish and did not like the thick runny pieces they were served, but did enjoy their onion rings. They prefer the thinner, crispier, Southern style catfish. We were able to get a second helping of crabs, but as we were checking out shortly after 7PM the waitress said they had run out of crab, so ask before you order.

We may visit again, but would only do so without small children for lunch or early evening as it seems that the volume of the music definitely increased at 7PM. They only have 3 high chairs and 2 had broken lap belts. We also did not care for the wine, beer and drinks being served in solo cups. The parking lot does not have a lot of light after dark so be observant when you park.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

I normally tip 25-35% for good food and service. This automatically added 18% tip for bills over $50 is apparently a new marketing concept. I understand this may be necessary for large parties of 6-8 or more, but certainly not on any monetary amount. We enjoyed this place the first 3 times we went there, but no more. I don't wish to be, or ever have been told, what to tip in any other place but here. A very poor management decision.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I ate there tonight and the food was average. The problem was before and after. We seated ourselves and after waiting for 15 mins. with no one coming to our table, I went to the bartender and asked if we could have some service. She said she would get us a waitress and finally one showed up 10 more mins. later so that's 25 mins before we get a menu. We then were told that it wasn't her area and that another person would be over to take our orders. Guess what? It was another 10 mins before our waitress showed up to take our orders. The food then took 30 mins. to get there and part of the order was wrong. After eating I gave her my card to pay the bill and she brought it back and walked away. I checked the ticket and to my amaze for a $30.00 bill, they had automatically added in a 18% gratuity without letting us know. After going up to the manager and waitress and questioning them about it, they told me it was on the menu and on a sign when you first walk into the place. Well the manager showed it to me and the waitress cause she couldn't find it on the menu and neither could I and it says " Orders subject to 18% gratuity" She then says well that is confusing isn't it. I said yea subject to what. Then I read there sign out front and it says orders over $50.00 subject to 18% gratuity. So what is it then. Bottom line is you are not giving a chance to tip on your own based on the service you get but they crookedly charge you and don't tell you about it. Most people probably don't even look at this on their bill and give them an additional tip. What a rip-off this low life place is.

1  Thank paul b
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Over the years my wife and I have spent thousands of dollars here and over the last few years we have been seeing a steady decline in service and food quality but last week was our last trip to Waters Edge. We dine or stop for drinks atleast three to four times a week at our local resurants and during the summer love the out-door places to enjoy the sun and so my wife can pick her blue crabs. I love the sun but do not like the crabs but while my wife can spend hours eating the all-you-can eat crabs, I will help her by cracking the claws and piling the meat up for herbut I never touch the stuff, I won't even lick my fingers. So last week we stopped at Waters Edge so she could have her crabs and keep the bordom a way, I started crcking the crab legs for her, as i have done hundreds of times at Waters Edge alone. Our waiter/manager stopped by the table and saw me hitting a claw with the mallet and asked if I wanted to order my own crabs and both my wife and I, at the same time said "no, He/I doesn't like crabs, he is just helping me open the claws". After about an hour, she orders her second tray and keep in mind that it took her an hour to pick her way through 10 crabs on the first tray. Just after the second tray is dropped off, our waiter/manager stops again and says "If you keep eating those, I will have to charge you for them", we both look up and tell him again that I only open the claws and my wife even tells him that I hate crabs!!! Our waiter/manager, who doesn't even look like hes 20 years old yet, then shocks us beyond belief by saying "I have standing over there for 10 minutes watching you eat the crabs". Now keep in mind that I just retired in June from a career in the Intelligence Community and still have an active TS/SCI and have done more polygraphs than the number years this kid has been alive and that my honesty and integrity are the core of my professional reputation... So trying not to over react, I responded by saying, "excuse me but your a "F'en" lier". At this point, he should have realized that the only person who could call his bluff and call him a lier, is the person that wasn't eating a single bite of the crab but he didn't make that connection and began to threaten me and telling me not to call him a lier... If someone had been sneaking bites, even a few would have reponded a little differently but since we both know that my fingers never even went near my lips so for someone to say that they spent 10 minutes watching something that did not happen, could only be characterized as a lier... after we got through the insult we felt, we got our check and found out that Waters Edge now adds an automatic tip for checks over $50 dollars so now your waiter/manager can give you the worst service you can imagain and even call you a cheat or thief and they still get a tip from you... Please do your self a favor and go spend your hard earned money somewhere other than Waters Edge.... STAY AWAY

5  Thank Adam M
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The food is only average, but the restaurant is on the water with lots of boats tied up alongside. It's basically a sports bar with a full menu. It was full of people either watching football or baseball on the TV's which are generously scattered throughout the building. But the TV audio is piped outside and it diminishes the atmosphere and enjoyment of the view.