“Between Average and Very Good”

Travinia Italian Kitchen & Wine Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Handcrafted daily, fresh pasta, pizza, chicken, seafood, steak, veal and desserts. Extensive wine bar, gluten-free menu. Patio dining and fire pits.
Punta Gorda, Florida
“Between Average and Very Good”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My adult daughter and I met at the restaurant after work last night. We ate in the restaurant section, instead of the bar, and the ambience was just what we needed after a long, hectic day. The service was excellent (they gave us our space but knew when to interrupt), and while it wasn’t the best Italian food I’ve ever had, it was very good.

Our waitress suggested before-dinner drinks since they were 50% off on Wednesdays so we ordered martinis, the Limoncello Lemondrop for my daughter and the Granny Smith Apple for me. Both were excellent (mine tasted just like a Granny Smith apple).

Soon after, our waitress brought us some sort of bread. We didn’t know the name, but it was hot and fresh. The only negative to it was that it had not been sliced and the bottom crust was very crusty, so it was difficult to slice ourselves with just a bread knife.

My daughter ordered the cannelloni, which she enjoyed, and I got the veal parmesan. One of the veal tenderloins was a bit overdone, but the rest were delicious. It could have used a bit more sauce, though. The portions were large enough that we’ll be eating the leftovers tonight.

The cost of the meal (around $50 before tip) was comparable to other Italian restaurants in the area. I would definitely visit this restaurant another time.

• Visited April 2013

“Great Italian food in Va”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

The place has been opened for 3 mths and it seemed to have the feeling of being opened for years. The food and the aromas just circling around were just intoxicating.
Service was great and dessert a wonderful ending

• Visited April 2013
Caribbean
“Decent, worth a second try.”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Nice atmosphere, good service.

Food was okay. Overpriced for what you get. Wine by the glass was fairly priced with a decent selection. Nothing special. Will probably return and give them a second chance as they had only recently opened on our first visit.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank LuReeBa
Annapolis, Maryland
“Nice Addition South of the Beltway”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We knew Travinia Italian Kitchen was coming to the area and saw that it had opened so we tried it. Very pleased we did! We've been twice and not disappointed at all. I'm writing this after our second trip to eat there.

What makes it a pleasurable eating establishment?
1) Very good food. The appitizers are classics but with a little twist here and there to set them apart from other establishments. The entrees are imaginative and great tasting (and they have small portions if you would like). We've had two different entrees that came with risotto and that, in and of itself was a show stopper. Better than what I make and that says something. (I sure they use something other than arborrio which makes a great difference). And the chicken marsala was more than good.

2) A great wine list. Where else can you get Oregon Pinot Noir, a from-Germany Reisling or a Prosceco?

3) Most importantly, our waitstaff (which were the bartenders) were great. Friendly and knowledgable while keeping a courteous distance. Good people.

A definate stop on the place-to-eat-out rotation.

My only "complaint" would be get rid of the TV's. At least their high enough up that they're not directly in the line of sight.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Purpleman
Dumfries, Virginia, United States
“Good food, could be better”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Travinia recently opened at Stonebridge at Potomac Town Center and we decided to have an early dinner there on February 16, 2013. We were greeted quickly and warmly by a hostess and seated immediately. Our waiter promptly delivered menus, advised us of an appetizer special and took our drink orders. I ordered a glass of the house Chardonnay and my husband decided to try out their Bloody Mary. We waited an unusually long time for our drinks and even got an apology from the waiter, who explained that it was really busy. I looked around the room and would guess that the restaurant was about 25% filled, so I didn't buy the excuse. I'd rather he told us the truth.

We ordered the Pan Fried Calamari as an appetizer. Without our asking, our waiter did ask us if we wanted to delay our entree until we finished the calamari, and we said yes. We ordered Chicken Marsala (for me) and Lasagna (for him). He also ordered their homemade soup of the day (tomato).

Once we finally got our drinks the warm and aromatic bread was served, and it was quite good. The side plate of dipping oil with pepper added to it nicely.

We both agreed that the calamari, although tender, was unremarkable and tasteless without the spicy marina dipping sauce. The portion was generous.

The Chicken Marsala entree consisted of two tender chicken breasts and a side of what appeared to be freshly made cappellini pasta. I did enjoy this dish and cleaned my plate. The only request I would make to the chef is to add more mushrooms, not just four or five slices, and more sauce. My husband also enjoyed his lasagna, cleaned his plate, but didn't elaborate further. We passed on dessert and coffee, but only because we were both full.

We both agree that this is a restaurant we will return to, but there was certainly room for improvement.

• Visited February 2013