“Round 2”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: 703-491-0390
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is a follow-up to a review I did in December, “Hopefully a rare….”

A little background info: I emailed my December review to Smokey Bones because I thought it is only fair that they are able to see it and respond if they’d like to. A rep did call me the next morning to talk about my experience and apologized for the mishaps. He also offered me a gift card to come back. I was glad to receive that phone call and know that someone cared enough to take time to do that. I am appreciative of that.

I used the gift card and a couple extra dollars for the online order I placed. I ordered the exact same foods as my previous order to see how it would turn out and also because the food was decent. I got to Smokey Bones at 4:41, four minutes before my order was to be ready as stated online. An employee asked my name and then asked two other female employees if they knew of my order. Both shook their heads “no.” This obviously got me thinking slightly negatively. I asked if my order had been received and the employee said that it had been, it was being completed, and that sometimes when someone is on the computer, they can’t see the online order at that time. Fair enough, I accepted that explanation. I received my order at 4:51 and the employee who cashed me out asked if I wanted any extra barbeque sauce, etc. I got to my destination about 10 minutes later and checked the order….everything was correct. The food was a little cold and there weren’t any fork/knife/napkins included but that wasn’t a big deal at this time.

My takeaways from the two visits:

Positives:
1. Ordering online is quick, detailed, and simple
2. Multiple employees asked if someone had helped me yet.
3. I have a favorable view of their customer service, both at the restaurant and online (rep who called me)

Advice:
1. Check your order before you leave with it
2. Heat everything up, your order may/may not be on the cold side

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We had a long travel day and we sat at the bar to relax and the bar staff were friendly and helpful!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The BBQ here is not my favorite but it pretty good. Ribs are better at Famous Daves, but the brisket and pulled pork are good here. We also love the beans, baked potatoes and various salads. If you want to have some decent food while watching football on multiple screens this place works great.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Smokey Bones suffers from a marketing department that confuses vulgar with funny. The 'boneisms' on the wall are either lame or offensive.

They do offer a dry rub version of the ribs, but even then you have to tell the server to make sure no sauce is applied at any time. The ribs fluctuate between outstanding and Goodyear. Don't waste your money on the brisket, it used to look like the mystery meat we got in middle school cafeterias. The links are OK.

The side orders are simply bad. The cole slaw has improved of late (manager said new supplier) but it does not approach the quality of Dixie Bone's. Prices are often discounted, which is what keeps me coming back. Overall of the three Eastern Prince William County barbeque restaurants, Smokey Bones comes in third.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I'm not trying to turn anyone away from this restaurant but this is a website for honest reviews based on our experiences.

Here's the positives:
1. The ease of ordering online
2. Three employees asked me if I had been helped as I waited to pick up my order.

Here's the rest:
I received a confirmation of my order in an email at 4:15pm on a Monday night. At 4:25, notification that my order was being processed. The website says orders will be ready for pick up in 30 minutes. I waited at Smokey Bones from 5:00 to 5:27 when I was finally given my order. I made the 20 second walk to my hotel room next door. All of the food was cold (chicken, pork, beans, etc.). I received butter and sour cream on the side for my potatoes....oops, they gave me coleslaw instead (not a big fan). Nothing was worth the extra wait time. Yes, I could've checked my order before taking it and I also could've walked back there, however, sometimes you just want your food and to be done with it. I will also admit to having a slight fear of restaurant staff messing with my food.

So, as I stated earlier, this is just a review from my experience. I doubt I'll go back to this particular location.