“bland food, poor service”

Masala Magic Indian Fusion Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed February 9, 2013

First let me tell you that I am from north India, so I know 100% what Indian food tastes like. My wife is a very, very good cook. We are always on the look out for good Indian restaurants but unfortunately there is no good Indian restaurant in our Woodbridge. This is no exception. The food is very bland, much more “Americanized” than most other Indian restaurants in this area. The menu is definitely north Indian…nothing from South India.

We have been here many times. Recently the management has changed. Seriously, the older management’s cooks were better. They were more Nepali in flavor and more spicy. When we went there today, we were very surprised to taste the food. They have diluted the taste so much that it does not taste like Indian food anymore.

The service is also very poor. The servers did not fill up our water glass more than once. We had to remind them again and again to get us the Nan/bread. They brought it out so late that we were done with our food already.

For the price they charge for a weekend buffet, there are very little variety of dishes… especially in the sweet dish / dessert menu… they had just one dish - Kheer. Even that too was pretty crappy.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We've been to Masala Magic several times over the last few years. In the past the food was good but not fantastic. Recently a new owner, named Assad, took over the restaurant and we found a dramatic, positive difference in the food and service. Equally as important, he hired a new chef that clearly is amazing.
It had been a while since we ate here so we decided to head over and see if we could catch the lunch buffet they serve every day. It was almost 2 o'clock so I was a little concerned that we would end up with cold food that had been sitting a long time. Not so. The food was all fresh and piping hot.
Everything we had was fantastic. I'm not sure of the names of all the dishes but there was Tandoori chicken, two other chicken dishes in sauce, a goat curry, spinach, okra, two types of rice, a cauliflower dish and a dish made with peas and sauce with cubes of paneer, as well as several others. Each dish was clearly handmade, rather than the “out of a can” one sometimes finds in Indian places, and tasted fresh, exploding with authentic flavor.
There were also the usual side sauces: Raita, Tamarind chutney, mint sauce and salty/spicy mixed pickle, all of which I believe were handmade from scratch rather than decanted from jars.
The Naan bread - all we could eat - was fresh and hot and perfectly fired in a clay oven, absolutely tip-top. We also tried the salty lassi, which was bursting with flavors of cumin and other spices, extraordinarily different and better than any other savory lassi I had ever had. We’ve seen them bring out mango lassi as well, and it appeared to be made on the spot with fresh mangos. Unlike in other places, they did not skimp on the lassi, refilling my glass of it when I wished without extra charge.
We’ve now eaten there several times in the last couple of weeks and each time the quality has been superb, with no hiccups or problems. If there ever was an issue, I know that the owner would instantly make it right.
Bottom line: I’ve had better Indian food at only one place in the world, at a world-class restaurant in Tokyo with a 5-star Bombay chef. If you have the time and money, feel free to fly to Japan. Otherwise, just drive on over to Masala Magic near Potomac Mills, and tell them Dave and Beth sent you. Assad knows us now, and soon he’ll know you.
PS, We recommend the buffet as the best value and also thought you'd like to know they have a free poker tournament every Thursday night at 7PM.

1  Thank DaveandBeth_2013
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We purchased a Groupon deal and went here for dinner last night. Everything was excellent. I believe the owner took our order and served us. He took care of our every need. This is the best Indian restaurant in the Woodbridge area for sure.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I went her with my family and they were great with my 2 yr old. The owner came over with some food off the buffet that was not spicy for her and then later he made her a special fruit juice drink for her. We all had the buffet for lunch it was nice to try all the different foods. They were all very good. I really liked the atmosphere the whole place was a enjoyable experience.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

my wife and I had dinner here this evening and it was one of the best meals I had recently. The place was clean, service great, and food exceptional. We both love Indian food and this place was great. We will go back again and again.