“Worst hotel of my 20+ years of travelling....” 1 of 5 stars

Potomac Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   13964 Jefferson Davis Highway, Woodbridge, VA 22191   |
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Woodbridge
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Worst hotel of my 20+ years of travelling....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Where to start? I have been in almost 200 hotels since '93. This was by far the worst.

Room 114:

- room phone was disconnected
- Hotel office is closed at night - have to go around the side of the building to talk to hotel clerk who is behind a sheet of protected glass
- deadbolt lock didn't work easily
- A/C did not function on a 100 plus degree afternoon - fell apart while I was trying to get it to work. Saw water on the floor beside it.
- no ironing board / iron
- no closet
- carpet was filthy, had to throw away my socks
- big bug in bathroom
- lights above headboard not hooked up
- my room key was rejected after 1st night's stay
- no refridgerator
- no Five Guys in the surrounding area (like advertised)
- Denny's was not adjacent to the hotel
- internet connection info not made available in room - had to call front desk using my cell phone
- this hotel is not near Potomac Mills - it's about 3-5 miles away from it

If you can afford it a few extra $, go for Sleep Inn.

Room Tip: - this hotel is not near Potomac Mills - it's about 3-5 miles away from it. If you can afford it...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My stay in wood bridge, Virginia I stayed at the rode hotel while I slept I got bit by bed bugs they put me in the room all the way in the back and it smelled of mold and dingy I would ask to be put further up front

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Blacksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Usually I don't complain but I have 6 bites form bed bugs and strong reaction of my skin, even after three days I still have red inflamed spots. I had to search a new hotel at 2 am, it was terrible. Now I am scared and panic to stay in any hotel. The only good thing, thanks kayak I got my refund.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Paul K
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

My wife and I and our dog were travelling to Weirsdale, Florida. We stayed at the Rodeway Inn our first night. Our goal was to get a good night's sleep following about 8 hours on the road. The inn is located on a busy road in Woodbridge, Virginia. Our room was on the small side despite the fact that one wall was completely mirrored. It created the illusion of a large room but that is all it was, an illusion. There was no fridge or microwave in the room. Ice and a vending machine were located in a separate building. A free continental breakfast is also provided. Check in was an ordeal, mainly due to the clerk on duty having problems entering the charge for our dog into the computer system. That occurred after having to wait about 20 minutes for the clerk to contact the Inn's owner to handle a situation with a guest who was in the lobby before I was. We were in the building closest to the road in a room facing the road. There was a lot of road noise all night long. I recommend asking for a room in the rear building furthest away from the highway. We were in the no smoking section of the inn. Many of the guests in this area were smokers. Consequently, they would congregate outside their rooms to smoke and converse. Not a problem but it is a problem when they do so after 10 PM. (There are no inside corridors in the building we were in) Guests were coming and going all hours of the night with the guest in the room next to us arriving back at 2:45 AM. Our room was about 2 to 3 feet from the parking area for our building, therefore, we heard every noise from the parking area. Breakfast was average and checkout went smoother than check-in. However, I did have to ask for a copy of the bill. If I did not ask for it, I would not have received it. The bill did not show the extra charge for our dog. All in all, this one night stay was on the pricey side, very noisy, rather sleepless and at best, the accomodations were average. I would not recommend this establishment to travellers.

Room Tip: If you do stay at the Rodeway Inn request a room in a rear building away from the highway.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Dan C
Seacoast, NH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I've never been compelled to fill out a review online before, but this is a warning for those individuals contemplating a stay at this establishment. There are far better choices in the area, however we got stuck during the snowstorm, very late at night...and were traveling with a dog and needed pet friendly lodging that was available at a late hour. For this alone, the hotel gets one star...beyond that, I don't have anything positive to say. My husband and I are both microbiologists, so germs actually DON'T bother us in any meaningful way. On the otherhand, blatant filth does...and we slept in our clothes and refused to bring our suitcases into the room since it just looked like a place that would be also bed bug friendly. HOWEVER WE DID NOT DETECT ANY BED BUGS WHATSOEVER. The walls were filthy, the bathroom shower had a used washcloth conveniently placed in the stall to welcome us to Hotel Skeevy. The folded towels had dirt marks and smudges. The shower head had a leak so that one stream pointed upwards, hit the ceiling and flooded the remainder of the bathroom. Grimy doesn't begin to describe the carpets. We put a towel on the floor for the dog to sleep on...even she seemed creeped out, and she has spent almost 13 years as a butt sniffer extraordinaire. We barely slept it was so gross, and both of us have stayed in hotels in developing nations that have offered more in the way of cleanliness. I don't blame the staff or the manager, anyone is lucky to have a job nowadays, and those individuals can only do so much. The place is more than rundown and the hotel chain itself needs to come in and fumigate, refurbish and sanitize.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alsatian5
MikeHampton, Owner at Potomac Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
First, I want to thank you for taking the time to submit your review of our hotel. Feedback from our guests is a vital part of prioritizing our renovations and operational improvements with our limited resources.

Second, let me apologize to you for not having met your expectations in the way of cleanliness or room condition. Clearly, we failed you in our effort to deliver a quality experience at the right price.

We will take steps to implement your suggestions and hope that you will try us again some day. We are proud of our little hotel and strive to please all our guests.

As a token of our sincere apology, feel free to submit a request for a full refund.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

Well we stayed for the second time on the night of April 9th, 2010, the young man on duty when we pulled in was very acommadating a little nervouse but willing to please. We stay in the front like the last time. It was little nosiey with the Highway and Carnival across the street till about 11 or so then it quite down I had a pleasant night rest. We'll possibly be trying it again in Dec on the way South again. Really don't know about the return North only because of the traffic around DC . The minor problem was a draft under room 104 door which I reported when I left, hopefully will be taken care of on our return

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johnnyrebell12
MikeHampton, Owner at Potomac Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2010
On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise.

Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services we provide.

Queens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

I was up for a weekend family reunion during the Thanksgiving weekend. this facility was clean, close and convenient. This is my second stay there (first was my Cousins Wedding in July) and I would include this motel in my future travels to Virginia.

Edwin S.