“Love Dining at Daks” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Love Dining at Daks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

Whenever I am in the Woodbridge area with family, my choice is always dinner at Daks. I have eaten there three times in the past 6 months and find the food and service to be outstanding. I read other reviews of poor service and under staffing but I have never experienced this while dining there. My family is attending a concert on Saturday, February 11th and looking forward to dinner at Daks before the concert. As I read some of the other reviews, had to wonder if we were dining at the same restaurant. Again, great service, outstanding food, love their Hot Artichoke Dip is awesome and my brother-in-law loves the Drunken Mushrooms. Dak's potato on the side and a nice New York Strip with Bearnaise, can't wait for February! Yum.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank USArmyMom22846

Portsmouth, Virginia
“good potential, below average execution”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

Daks is a beautiful old farmhouse that has been converted into a restaurant. It has a two sided gas fireplace, small dining rooms that offer a somewhat intimate setting. We have eaten there three times now, and each time we were disappointed. They seem chronically understaffed - tonight our server was the bartender, whom we found after wandering around looking for the hostess, who was not present. She was cheerful and helpful. Their rolls are really good - little french baguettes served with honey butter. The onion soup was good. But everything else - meh. I had salmon, which I requested to be cooked medium, and it was completely overdone. The perfect ice cream scoop of mashed potatoes were flakey and dry, like they'd been microwaved a couple of times. The gravy terrible and very salty. Dark, dark brown. Completely out of place with the salmon. And the veggies were very undercooked, carrots still crunched. Mr's steak was a thin sirloin he described as "dense". It was cooked to order. We didn't bother complaining about the food. It wasn't the bartender/waitress's fault. We paid the tab and left. After three visits in about five years, all of which there were issues with the lack of staffing, food quality and preparation, I have to conclude that these aren't exceptions, but rather rules.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank weekend_warrier
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Dont' Waste Your Time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

User Rating: 1 out of 5 stars
by dnacrew 06/14/2011
We have always enjoyed going to Daks and dining on the patio. This past weekend we had family in from out of town and decided to go to Daks to sit on the patio, We arrive at Daks at 5PM and there were only 2 people on the patio, so plenty of room for our large party of 13. Mgmt wanted to let us have 1 table with an umbrella that sat 7 to 8 people and a small square table without an umbrella which didn't accomodate our party. Unfortunately, Mgmt said we couldnt have 2 tables with umbrellas because they were going to get busy. This made no sense to me 1. It was 5PM and no one was there 2. Why would anyone with good business sense turn away a large party - incomprehensible!!! We ended up leaving Daks, drove over to Cheeseburger in Paradise and spent over $250. It's funny because driving home we passed by DAks at 8PM and no one was on the patio. REALLY Daks - how unfortunate! We will never go back to Daks.

• Visited June 2011
5 Thank dnacrew
Metro D.C. area
“A FORMER favorite bites the dust!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

This place is under new management and it has taken a nose dive--right onto the rocks!
My group of friends and I loved going there for lunch, everything WAS good. Now, after two tries, I am done. The food is stripped of all flavor. It tastes like "seconds" quality ingredients. Even my husband and son agree with me...we are in mourning over the loss of a family favorite.
Due to the outdoors cafe, this may still be a fun hangout after work for the 20-somethings for drinks/happy hour...but I won't swear to it.

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Ladels_N_JellySpoons
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Great food, decent pricing, bad service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

My husband and I went to Daks on a Saturday night. We had heard of Dak's from a friends mother and decided to try it out. Walking in we weren't very impressed with the decor, definitely reminded us of Grandma's house- we are in our late 20's. We ordered the drunken mushrooms as an appetizer, and they were FANTASTIC. Our server was not very attentive to us, we had to flag her down to get refills and bread, and the only way we knew what the specials were was by overhearing her tell the table next to us. We got salad with our entrees which we good as well. I ordered the prime rib special, and my husband ordered the sirloin. My prime rib was to die for! I ate the entire piece, and I never finish an entire prime rib. My husband was not as thrilled with his entree as I was. The server didn't bring the bernaise sauce, simply because she "forgot to ask if he wanted it." Overall, I would go aback again simply for the prime rib, which I think they only do on Saturday nights.

• Visited April 2011