“A good place to sleep”

Best Western Of Wise
Ranked #1 of 2 Wise B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have stayed at this motel on a few occasions during business travels. I have read the other reviews and it is fair to say that anyone can find a problem with anything if they look hard enough. I appreciate it for what it is, a simple place to lay down and sleep after a long day.
They have been working to renovate the facility, and on my last visit, the room smelled of fresh paint, but I left the a/c running and when I returned to the room it was bearable.
I always request room number 101 because it is on the first floor, on the corner and the closest room to Reno's. You simply walk out the rear entrance, cross the parking lot, and you are in the back door of Reno's (please see review of Reno's).
The staff is always friendly, attentive and do their best to accommodate any request.

Room Tip: I like room number 101 because it is on the first floor, on the corner and close to the restaurant n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Our room was very smelly and dirty. I actually had to wash my "clean" clothes upon my return home just to eliminate the odor from the room. The AC didn't work properly; it cooled however; humidity was exhausted back into the room.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed here while working in the area. I stayed there for over one month. When asked why the hotel was still charging me room tax, they refused to stop. I even printed the latest tax code for the county the hotel was in, the hotel manager refused to believe the code and told me he would have to check with the County Clerk before doing anything. At that point I changed hotels. Be aware that staying in the Best Western in Wise, Va. for more than a month that the Hotel Manager will keep your money even though the tax regulations say differently.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We always stay at this hotel while visiting family here. The staff is always very friendly and helpful and the place is always clean. It is in the process of some updating but it did not interfere with our stay. We would recommend this hotel to anyone interested in a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My overall trip to Best Western of Wise was good. No complaints other than the odor in the room. This is a very good Hotel to visit UVA Wise. It is the nearest hotel for visiting and the breakfast is actually good. They have different varities.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Let me give the positives first:
1. Reservation process and checkin were quick and easy.
2. Front desk staff was friendly.
3. My room and bathroom were very clean.
4. This location is very convenient to the small charming town of Wise and the attractive University of Virginia at Wise.
5. The restaurant next door, Reno's, is a 30 second walk, and it has a decent burger and cold draft beer.
6. Breakfast was your standard hotel breakfast, but it was fine: cereal, juice, bagels, toast, waffles and surprisingly good coffee. The ubiquitous tv was of course on full volume.
7. If you like tv, the room tv has about 500 channels.
I hate to be critical but the negatives were:
1. The location, while convenient, is ugly. There is not really a good room option. One side faces the McDonald's ( I watched an employee smoke at 7am-yuck!), and the other faces a carwash and car dealership.
2. The area around the front entrance was littered with miscellaneous trash, trash that remained the following morning at checkout.
3. The interior is drab, and the carpets need cleaning or replacement.
4. The area behind the front desk clerk was filthy and needed sweeping.
A few flowers and a thorough cleaning would really help.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My stay was very quiet. I had to stay longer than originally planned and the staff was helpful it making this work. Furnishings need to be updated but my room was clean. The location is quite nice and it is convenient for what I had to do in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wise
Days Inn Norton VA
#2 of 2 in Wise
Super 8 Norton VA
Super 8 Norton VA
#1 of 4 in Norton

Been to Best Western Of Wise? Share your experiences!