“Would Reconsider”

Best Western Of Wise
Ranked #1 of 2 Wise B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 29, 2008

I would reconsider staying at the Best Western of Wise. The website portrayed a lovely hotel, with very reasonable accomodations. Upon arrival, my coworker and myself were left wanting.

The lobby smelled like BO (body odor). I booked two rooms on-line throught the hotel website. When we checked in, the hotel only had one reservation. When I produced my confirmation print out, the receptionist was nice enough, but failed to even apologize for the mistake. My coworker was given a room on the third floor, designated non-smoking. The room smelled overwhelmingly as if a smoker had stayed there. When I informed the front desk, I did so for two reasons - (1) so that I wouldn't be charged for smoking in the room, and (2) to see if there was anyway my coworker could get a new room. The receptionist did not seem concered that the room smelled like smoke, and could only offer my coworker a fan to find relief from the odor.

I went down to the "fitness center" to get a quick jog before heading out to dinner. "Fitness center" is a JOKE. There were two old treadmills and two stationary bikes. Neither of the treadmills were in operating condition. I even checked the power source and made sure the power switches were turned on - no dice. As for the stationary bikes - on one, the seat was way too wobboly to do any biking, and the second one - the seat was actually NOT attached to the rest of the apparatus.

Also, this is somewhat trivial, but the hotel does offer flat screen LCD televisions in the rooms - don't be mislead by this fact either - there ARE LCD televisions in each room...but with regular analog programming, the picture is far less superior than a regular tube television. If the hotel offered digital programming, this might be something to brag about.

I am aware that Wise has a limited selection of accomodations, and I am not a particurally picky traveler. I travel frequently for business, and I chose the Best Western of Wise because of the portrayal on the website - clean, modern, with the amenities I was looking for. Best Wester of Wise, in my opinion, was not accurately represented by the hotel website.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank karenp8

Reviewed December 2, 2007

We went to tour UVA at Wise. There are only a handful of places to stay, which limits your options. The reviews seemed mixed, so we didn't know what to expect. Check-in went smoothly. We had a non-smoking room, which was accurate. We had a view of a mountain, which also came with a view of the McDonalds next door and their drive thru traffic. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. We had a nice flat screen TV. It isn't a new hotel so there were a few ceiling tiles in the shower area that could have been replaced. The breakfast did not have any fruit, which I pointed out the the front desk clerk. She was very nice and promptly send a co-worker to get fruit. Bananas and apples were added. The price was very reasonable, we were pleased and would give this place an A and would stay here again. If your looking for a 5 star hotel, keep looking this isn't it. But we are an average family with an average budget and were pleased.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank mylynx
Reviewed September 12, 2006

This is a typical Best Western. You get what you pay for.
Room was average, would have used a blanket on the bed instead of just a sheet and a comforter.

Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank trektravel
Reviewed April 25, 2006

Nice, clean room. Friendly and ploite staff. My room featured a coffee maker, small microwave and refrigerator. The free continental breakfast had, on the day I was there, French toast, cereal, bagels, pastries/doughnuts, coffee/tea, juice. Great value.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank foodfiend20
A TripAdvisor Member
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed April 25, 2006

Courteous staff, but the bathroom smelled like a laundry hamper. Stale sweat....

Indoor heated pool looked nice, but someone forgot to turn the heat on so the water was a little too nippy to get in.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 15, 2004

The Best Western in Wise is a newish property in a good location right on U.S. 23 at a major intersection; 2 restaurants next to the place and 2 shopping centers across the road. Closest motel to UVa-Wise and to the courthouse. Ask for a room facing toward High Knob for the best views.

4  Thank radio71
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 21, 2003

The last two times we have gone to Norton VA. to visit reletives we have stayed at the Best Western in Wise, and will stay there probably everytime we come to visit. Clean and well maintained establishment and the friendliest people working there you could ask for.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wise
Days Inn Norton VA
#2 of 2 in Wise
Super 8 Norton VA
Super 8 Norton VA
#1 of 4 in Norton

Been to Best Western Of Wise? Share your experiences!