“VA Slopes - Pretty Good”
Review of Wintergreen Resort

Wintergreen Resort
Bristow, Virginia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“VA Slopes - Pretty Good”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Against my better judgement I met some friends at Wintergreen on President's Day Weekend, for a Saturday session. I typically never go boarding around the NoVA area on weekends or holidays, but wanted to get a few runs under my belt in preparation for a Colorado trip in a couple weeks. Plus they had a free place to stay, never a bad thing.

As expected, it was expensive ($74 for 8 hour flex pass) and crowded. The slopes actually weren't that bad, especially on the Highlands (I think? Black diamonds on the far right) but the lift lines took forever. Luckily the person I was with had an Owner's pass so we got to get in a private line, which did go way faster.

Coming from NoVA, I typically go to Massanutten, Bryce, Liberty, or Whitetail b/c I can make the drive to/from the resort same day. 3 hours to Wintergreen is too much to do both ways, but when staying overnight I'd prefer Wintergreen over all those above, especially if they all have some fresh powder.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank BareTruth0827

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“High hopes, rediculous crowds”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Sorry to share a negative review but the people of Wintergreen might take note from a genuine newcomber. I have heard about Wintergreen all my life and finally made it this weekend with my family. We drove from DC thinking it would be easy. We were not prepared with how hard it would be to find the place. For the last 1/2 of the trip there were no signs to the mountain so we were never even sure we would make it. When we got there, you have to go up to the top of the mountain to have access (many times resorts start from the bottom of the mountain) there was no parking except for the top of the mountain, Devils' Fork. We had to get in an old school bus that was so packed, it made my heart stop almost. My husband assured me that accidents don't usually happen at ski resorts. I hope not. But I had to open the window. And there would have been no way for me to get out had we had an accident. We finally arrived to the slopes and I opted not to ski since it was so crowded. Clearly others have figured out the magic of Wintergreen. There were so many condos on the hill, I understood why it might be so crowded. While I waited, I looked for chairs, like many resorts have to sit. To no avail, "The Edge", the restaurant where I waited for my husband and kids was jam packed (an hour wait for a table) but had incredible views. The skiing was good for the kids. The bus back up to our parking space was not as crowded and our trip to the next ski resort relatively painless. I would consider returning at a less busy time.

Visited February 2014
Chesapeake, Virginia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Fun for the Family”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

My family and I made a day trip to Wintergreen Resort. The boys enjoyed snowboarding while the girls enjoyed snow tubing. Some attractions do sell out but you can purchase your tickets in advance online (which is what we did.) They had a shuttle bus to take you to a couple of different attractions which was nice since I did not feel comfortable walking on potential icy roads in the mountains (even though everything was in walking distance.) Even a short walk (1 block) can be dangerous on foot downhill with snow and ice. If you snow tube, the lanes on the left (looking down the hills) are the taller ones and most popular. If you want to get more rides in, always aim for the hills on the right. You will get more rides in. Because we were only there a couple of hours, we could not do multiple attractions. They did have a zip line but we didn't have time. Staff was very helpful and we enjoyed ourselves for the short time we were there. Wish we could've stayed longer and will go back for sure!

Visited December 2013
Algodones, New Mexico
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Excellent Resort for the novice as well as the experienced!”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Our first time at Wintergreen as we were celebrating our tenth anniversary. We decided to book a condo as we enjoy a spacious accommodations to relax in verses a small type of room. Plus the condo was fully equipped with a full kitchen and utensils. Price point was great and we were not disappointed. The furnishings were well appointed but just a bit dated. The square footage of the unit made up for this as well as the large fire place. (Firewood was free and all you want to burn) PLUS the view of the mountains lulled us into that bliss we had hoped for.
Multiple restaurants to choose from on the property as well as shops and a local store for those needed items. We dinned at the Copper Kettle and Devils Grill, reservations are highly recommended. Both meals were excellent as was the service. From the Honey Lacquered Quail Breasts to the Lamb Rack in rosemary red wine demi. Friday evening upon arrival we went to the Edge for cocktails and bar food and was the perfect start to our anniversary celebrations. Good food, great band and pleasant staff.
Check in was extremely easy as was the information supplied by the check in staff. The Resort also has shuttle bus service to and from all their rentals, restaurants and facilities. Once on site you park your vehicle and leave the rest Wintergreen. This came in handy as after a few cocktails and dinner neither one of us would have wanted to drive on icy roads.
Our overall experience was great. I really don’t ski but my wife did and thoroughly enjoyed. Ski equipment rentals available for a reasonable fee. I add that they have a Snow Tubing area. OMG, I’m 55 and never had as much fun and laugh so hard. A must do and it’s not just for the children.

Visited January 2014
Greensboro
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Nice resort but the children's ski program needs lots of work”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I took my 7 year old son to Wintergreen this week. It had been a number of years since I had been there and the first time with my child. We stayed in one of the studio rooms near the slopes. It was actually nicer than I expected...I bit undersold on their website in my opinion. We ate at The Edge restaurant and it was very good. The biggest issue we had was the ridgely ski program. First there is no online registration which is crazy during this day and time. Secondly, I had to call a least 5 times before I could get someone to answer. I had also left a message with no return call. Checkin for the school program was a cluster you know what. Proper forms were not available and his gear wasn't already in his locker as promised. I was also disappointed in the instruction itself. My son, who has taken lessons 2 other times in the past was put into a group with kids that had never skied before. Basically he stayed on a relatively flat surface while at his previous lesson at another ski resort he was skiing the greens and riding the lifts. So a waste of $100 in my mind. When the lessons were done I thought I could take him out to see what he had learned but they wanted to charge an additional $20 which is ridiculous. We decided to go tubing instead only to find out the park was closed even though all the paperwork I was given said it opened at 1. Overall the resort and restaurants are nice. The ski school is awful and needs a total overhaul.

Visited January 2014