“A bit far from Charlottesville, but clean and comfortable. Good value for graduation weekend.”
Review of Wintergreen Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wintergreen
Wintergreen Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wintergreen
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We stayed in a condominium at Wintergreen Resort for our daughter's graduation from UVA. We had the 3-bedroom, townhouse, White Oak, unit 646. It was clean, sparsely but recently decorated and there was firewood and fire starters provided for our arrival. Bathrooms were clean and neat - make sure you request more towels. Loft bedroom with 2 single beds and two queens made for comfortable sleeping. We did not use the amenities of the resort as we were commuting the 45 plus minutes to UVA and Charlottesville for the graduation festivities each day. Was very quiet and peaceful. We arrived after midnight on Friday, and stayed until Monday morning and this was cost wise a much better choice than any of the hotels in and around C-ville, where the prices were doubled and 4 night minimums (if available when I tried to book one year in advance of the graduation) was the norm. This was a good choice for our family. We each liked having our own space to crash at the end of each tiring day. Plenty of fabulous breweries and wineries dot the road between the two places. I would go back to experience more of those and try the ski and tennis facilities another time.

Room Tip: Very quiet time of year so I think any of these townhouse type condos are great!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Pat G,

We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay . We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that we made a memorable experience for you. We look forward to welcoming you back. If I can be of any assistance in future visits to Wintergreen, please do not hesitate to contact me at gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Overall a fairly mediocre experience. Hotel is extremely crowded during weekends, so expect noise at all hours. Our shower had a clogged drain and room window was practically in the parking lot. Restaurants are WAY overpriced and typically a 1-2 hour wait for all meals. Actual skiing is good for Mid-Atlantic standards with good slope variability. Be prepared to WAIT at the lifts. The ice skating rink is an absolute joke: tiny, chunky, and skates without edges! All for $15! If you can make the trip go up north. Only nice thing was the spa with outdoor hot tubs and indoor pools.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ben m
Dear Ben M,

Thank you for your stay here at Wintergreen Resort in February. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We take these reviews serious and I welcome the opportunity to discuss with you. Winter is our very busy time period and February was an extremely busy ski month for us and I apologize once again that your experience was not what you expected. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging
Washington DC
Reviewed April 20, 2014

(Please read through to the review of the copper mine bistro for important food information). (This review also contains information about the inaccessibility of Wintergreen).

We just got back from our 2 day stay. If you follow my reviews, you'll know there are a lot of details. Please keep reading for details on handicapped accessible units.

If you haven't been to Wintergreen, I'll provide you with some background. The company basically bought a mountain. When you stay there, you're basically renting someone's condo or house. The resort does maid service and maintenance, but they have no say in terms of the individual rooms/apartments décor or current state. What you get is somewhat of a crap shoot. We stayed there a number of years ago and it was a beautiful 2 bed unit with fireplace.

We traveled to Wintergreen with my grandmother who will be 90 soon. We requested a handicapped accessible unit (confirmed before arrival). When we arrived, the room we were given (we had reserved two rooms) was not accessible by any stretch of the imagination. There were grip bars in the shower...end of discussion (room 195).

To their credit, the front desk manager did take me to 4 different units on the same floor to find one with an elevated toilet and grip bars (room 194), but no walk it shower. My grandmother (who is European) was okay with sponge baths for 2 days, but I cannot recommend this place to anyone with major disabilities. Yes, it is a ski resort designed for active people. But active people have family members who may or may not be able bodied and this is not a place for anyone who is a wheel chair user or has difficulty with getting around. The restaurant (Coppermine Bistro is accessible and the entry to the main building is accessible...the rooms are not). Had we not had room 194, we would have had to leave Wintergreen without staying.

On to the next part: The rooms . My grandmother's unit was larger and more recently rehabbed. All the rooms we were shown (see above for how many rooms I was shown) very nice, but not accessible by any stretch of the imagination.

So on to our room.The floor by room 237 (not our room ...just down the hall) was a bit....well, unstable. I think, given it is a common hallway, they need to repair it. There's something wrong when you walk down a hall to your room and it feels like you're walking on a trampoline.

Our room, 235, was comfortable and well cleaned with great views from the deck, In ski season, a ski in and out condo. But dear Wintergreen, please ask the owner if 235 to put in a real shower and not an old Jacuzzi with a jury rigged shower. (I have pictures to share). To finish, the room was immaculate and the bed very comfortable and TV was fine (large flat screen).

COPPER MINE BISTRO review follows
I would like to give everyone who we met at the Copper Mine Bistro a medal of honor, including the chef. Robert may be a floor manager or the manager, but forgive me folks for not remembering every one's name, everyone was wonderful.

I was concerned traveling with a grandmother who is 1) gluten allergic 2) lactose intolerant and allergic to tomatoes and virtually any pre-made seasoning (can you tell how much I was looking forward to this dinner). She liked her swordfish the first night and LOVED her rack of lamb the second night (Robert arranged for a table next to the fire place). I had the gnocchi the first night and last night we had the short ribs with the fingerling potatoes (instead of the mashed sweat potatoes) with a bottle of Fess Parker Syrah while my grandmother had the rack of lamb. The food and service far beyond what I expected. But Dear Wintergreen, please have a pot of grits or oatmeal for those little old ladies who are gluten intolerant for Easter brunch.

They had tons of stuff to do today, including a non-denominational service and Easter Egg hunt.

We'll be back again very soon, I hope....by ourselves....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank bumper1965
Dear Bumper1965,

Thank You for your recent stay at Wintergreen Resort and your very important review on how we did not meet all of your expectations . . As you may or may not know, our units are privately owned and we use our customer feedback and share with our owners to see how we may the guest experience better. The resort does have limited handicap accessible units and I am glad the front desk was able to assist you in getting better suited accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you back. If I can be of any assistance in future visits to Wintergreen, please do not hesitate to contact me at gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We did a long weekend trip (Friday-Monday) to Wintergreen coming from Florida as a last minute spring getaway.. It was end of season (late march) so the resort was pretty empty, in fact on Sunday night I swear we were the only ones staying up there.. which was GREAT!

Overall we had a fun time. We knew going up that they were turning down the winter season, so expectations weren't too high.. with some of the amenities (some restaurants, ice rink, etc. not open), but we got a good deal on the room, and end of season ski pricing.

What I would say is set your expectations, this is not Vail or the Swiss Alps, its a small outfit on top of a mountain in Virginia, but what they lack in glamour they make up with southern heart, and they truly make the most of what they have. The net is that we had a fantastic weekend, everyone was super friendly, the kids spent some time in the tree house program and enjoyed every second of it (I swear my 10yo daughter shed a tear as we drove away), and we will probably be back next year.

A few of tips:

1. Stock up before you head up the mountain. There is a small grocery store before you turn up into the mountain.. buy your wine, snacks, water bottles, etc before you head up..
2. Follow the resort on social media, so you get updates on the weather conditions daily
3. Download the app

and have FUN!

Room Tip: As anywhere, rooms on the slope are best, but since its a small place none are too far from the acti...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank latinmon
Dear LatinMon,

We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay . We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that we made a memorable experience for you although our ski season was winding down. We look forward to welcoming you back. If I can be of any assistance in future visits to Wintergreen, please do not hesitate to contact me at gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We just got back from our first time at Wintergreen and it was a comedy of errors. We tried for two days to ascend the mountain (during snowy days) however the resort hadn't cleared the roads, and we could not make it up the mountain - treacherously sliding backwards for miles. We had been told that Wintergreen took care of the roads meticulously but we didn't find that to be the case. When we finally got to the resort on Friday, we skied that afternoon and the next day - for very expensive prices for a family of 5 - Saturday was over $500 including rentals. Our family skied a total of 5 short runs down the mountain on Saturday, from 10 am to 4 pm, due to the ridiculous lift lines of about an hour. With only 4 lifts one would think the mgmt would control the number of tickets they sell on a busy weekend, but they clearly didn't and the place was horribly oversold. We chose not to ski on Sunday due to our terrible experience on Sat. I told the mgmt about our experience and they countered saying the longest line was 23 mins when that just wasn't close to true at all, if any of them had actually stood in the line they would have known. They didn't refund any of our expense and gave us a coupon to use 'next time', but I'm not sure there will be a next time now. I wanted to love this place and find a new 'go to' spot for skiing near DC, and it is charming in terms of having more of a Colorado feel than some other ski places around here - perhaps on a weekday sometime it would be good. The one diamond - The Coppermine Bistro was excellent and handled our large party of 15 very well for dinner.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Emily R
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Emily R,

Thank you for your recent trip to Wintergreen and also provind your feedback here on Trip Advisor. I want to first apologize that your first experience at Wintergreen was not what you expected. With the 22 inches of fresh snowfall and a holiday weekend the resort skiing was at its best of the season and the slopes saw crowds that we had not had in many years and as most guest complimented on the best skiing conditons despite the crowds. I do hope you decide to visit again in the near future and I would suggest a time that is not considered peak. We are glad you enjoyed The Copper Mine Bistro. Thank you again for telling us about your experience here at Wintergreen and we do look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Virginia, United States
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My husband and I came to the Wintergreen as a quick get away before our first child is born, so I am unable to take in account their winter activities. The staff was wonderful! Our shuttle driver on 1/6/14 was very friendly and knowledgeable. Our waiter at the edge on the same night was great and breakfast the next morning at the black bear café was great as well. Our first night there the power was shut down for an hour on one of the coldest nights. I understand that this was due to repairs but I feel we should have been informed at check in (we arrived at 5:00) we received a voicemail at 7 to make any preparation. How could we do that when the general store was closes at 5?( and was not open the following day so we were unable to use our free coffee coupon) Needless to say we woke up freezing as the sliding doors are old. The heat shuts off and drops down to 60 in the rooms (this was also in our second night). As for our room, we got "the best available rate" studio condo, for almost 200 a night (with taxes) I expected a little more. At check in we were not informed we needed to turn on the water to our unit, this information would have been useful, I do understand it is to prevent the pipes from freezing. The bathroom was so small. The shower was terrible! The water pressure was lacking and it seemed to be low flow, I didn't feel like I could get a proper shower (and I am a rather small lady even being 6.5 months pregnant!), my husband had a harder time as he is rather tall. Also, in the bathroom the paint was chipping around the shower. As for the restaurants themselves the food was good but the up keep seemed lacking. (it looked as though nothing has been done in the last decade to keep it looking fresh and clean). I was very disappointed in the wildlife center. There was a small exhibit on early mountain life and some taxidermy. The woman there was very nice and did her best with what she was given to work with. I did make a trip to the spa, this was the only nice, modern and clean looking building I visited. The staff was very nice and accommodating. I struggled with how to rate The Wintergreen resort, the helpful, friendly staff and the views were the highlights. The room was OK, but for the money I spent I feel like I could have gone to a holiday inn and had a better stay. I understand the location goes into the pricing but the room quality could have been better. I would go back ,as my experience was nice, if I had the money to spend on a nicer rental.

My advise is if you have a lower budget try and find a near by hotel (maybe in Waynesboro). If you do have the budget to splurge to skimp on the rental type, I am sure it would make all the difference.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 3crazycats
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear 3crazycats,

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations in our accomodations. The Cold weather snap and the unfortunate power outage during the time you spent with us did present some challenges. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss more about your accomodations so that I can direct our rental properties team to address the issues of the unit. We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest and my hope is that we can make your next trip more enjoyable . We look forward to welcoming you back
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

My family and I use to come when I was younger, I was beyond excited for this family vacation. I gave a two star rating because my 8 year old loved the ski lessons. The 3 bedroom condominium we stayed in was musty, outdated and the beds are hard as a rock. The restaurants were okay and the food decent, at the copper mine we witnessed a manager cursing out the staff (within ear shot of our small kids, incredibly unprofessional) There is a charge for everything it seems like and the hold on the room for damages? What in here could possibly amount to 3,000 dollars? The housekeeping was none existent, when we arrived the trash bins were still full and on the second day we came back to our room and found a big bag of little soaps and other supplies? Seems they hurried through and then left the supplies behind. There is a washer and dryer, dishwasher etc but we have found no supplies for either. I am glad the kids had a good time but I don't plan on returning again. If your still interested in visiting I would suggest renting a house off property, perhaps that would be more enjoyable.

Stayed December 2013
5 Thank Prettypinkpancakes
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Prettypinkpancakes,

Thank you for you recent stay here at Wintergreen Resort and taking the time to give us valuable feedback on your stay and where we fell short of your expectations. We value your comments and I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay in detail so that future guest do not experience what you did. If you could contact me at gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com or 434-325-8212, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging I would welcome the opportunity to discuss with you. Happy New Years to you and your family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wintergreen
Residence Inn Waynesboro
#9 of 35 in Charlottesville
The Mark Addy
The Mark Addy
#1 of 1 in Nellysford

Been to Wintergreen Resort? Share your experiences!