“Marriage Retreat”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Wintergreen Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wintergreen
Wintergreen Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wintergreen
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Marriage Retreat”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed for free during a military marriage retreat. We were given the keys to a condo unit by the gas station. Inside there were brochures that it was for sale. The unit was outdated and not romantic.

We stayed for two night (over the weekend) and there wasn't much to do. It wasn't cold enough for the ski season, so we walked around, visited the restaurants and went to the spa.

I would give the spa 5 stars! It is BEAUTIFUL! My husband and I enjoyed side by side massages and pedicures. The pedicure chairs are in front of a huge window that overlooks the trees. The "waiting" room, where you can sit with tea in hand and calm music was wonderful. The massages were great and I even brought my father back for his fathers day present. Can't say enough good things about the spa!! Sauna...great. Waiting room... relaxing. Overall feel...superb.

The restaurants were pretty good. We dined at both the Copper Mine and The Edge. There were plenty of choices and we didn't have any complaints.

Overall, I expected better accommodations. I have friend who own condos at the Wintergreen Resort and it is a whole different experience.

Word of advice, make sure there are things to do when you visit!

Room Tip: Keep asking for a better room until you are satisfied.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cvkevents
Geoff8212, Manager at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
I want to thank you for your review of the resort during your retreat here last fall. Although these units are privatley owned and decorated to the owners taste or scheme, it is the resorts initiative to take feedback such as yours and bring it to the attention of the owner and work with them to upgrade and modernize the accomodations to meet the expectations of our guests. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay and unit specifics to report on our conversation to the owner as well as have our property management team evaluate the unit. I am the Director of Lodging for Wintergreen Resort and can be reached by calling the resort main number. Thank you again for your feedback and your stay here at Wintergreen and I look forward to talking with you and hope that you will return to Wintergreen for a retreat or personal visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

First time and will not be the last. Wonderful views, condo exceeded our expectations. Staff was very polite, wonderful price for a getaway. Highly recommend :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Geoff8212, Manager at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Good Afternoon,

We thank you for your recent stay here at Wintergreen Resort and I am glad we met your expectations. We would like to welcome you back in the very near future, please check our website for specials and promotions to take advantage of the resort in all four seasons and please let us know if we can assist in your planning. Thank you again and we look forward to your future visit
Winchester, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

I went to this establishment for a business conference in July 2011. We stayed in one of the privately owned condominiums which was terrible. The air conditioning didn’t work, the floors were coming up in the bathroom, and there were bugs and spider webs all over the place and rodent droppings in the cabinets. There was only a small TV in the living room and a smaller TV in the bedroom. No one ever came to clean the room, just to drop off some towels. My boss stated that he had a flat screen in his room and they came every day to clean the room. If these people want the resort to rent their units out then the resort should ensure that each unit provides similar amenities and is kept is good shape.

Also, my family came with me because they advertised amenities that would have suited a toddler (toddler town was advertised on the website and in all the brochures), but when we went to find it they said they took it down a while ago.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank CPERK1
Good Afternoon,

I want to thank you for your review of the resort. I understand you were here with a conference and the accomodations did not meet your expectations. I would like to apologize for the lack of service you received during your stay and the less than desirable accomodations. Our units are privatley owned and it is our goal and initiative to work with our owners to bring their accomodations up to a quality level and offer modern and up to date furnishings. I will personally investigate the cleanliness issue of this unit. The Toddler Town was replaced after Memorial Day weekend with another inflatible called Bounce Bot. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay, as We take our guest comments very serious and do not like to lose a valuable customer. I am the Director of Lodging and would welcome your call, if you would contact me here at the resort. Thank you again for your visit and your review of our resort.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

This is the second professional conference I've attended here, and I'm even more disappointed this second time. I was assured there was WiFi - haven't seen any yet. Cell coverage is spotty at best - which matters. I'm not here for vacation, but I can't get business done. And my room is far away
from the meeting space, over half a mile up the mountain with stairs stairs stairs - and is cramped, shabby and smells moldy. I'm sorry I came - again.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank MLCD
Good Afternoon,

I want to thank you for your recent stay here at Wintergreen and for taking the time to write your review of your stay here at Wintergreen Resort. The resort does have WiFi service available in our accomodations, public spaces as well as our conference facilities. The resort realizes the challenges that guests have with cell service in and around the resort, realizing we are in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Carriers that do not invest in keeping their customers coverage and adding additional towers in areas in rural areas is something most resorts in mountain locations experience. The resort uses a local provider company and they have added several new towers in this area which works quite well. I again apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while here at the resort, but if you would like to contact me and give me some specifics on your entire stay, I would greatly appreciate it. I am the Director of Lodging and you can contact me at the resorts main number. Thank You again for your review and your stay here at Wintergreen
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We visited Wintergreen Resort just this past weekend with our 2 boys. Based on descriptions on their website, I expected an upscale resort with lots of amenities. This review focuses on our experience with lodging, food, and some activities for children.

First, the lodging. When we arrived, we were instantly disappointed with the condition of the condos and houses. We knew these are individually owned and decorated but didn't expect them to look so run down. We were given access keys to the condo where we would be staying. We drove to the condo and coudn't find our unit. We kept driving around and finally decided to park the car to walk around and look for the unit. Turns out the unit was 3 flights of stairs down from the parking lot (the land is sloped); it looked dark, and mosquitoes were swarming around us. We didn't feel safe (since we have a toddler and a baby), so we requested another unit. The lady at the check-in desk was very understanding of our concerns and offered another unit. This second unit looked better (only 1 flight of stairs below ground). We came inside and it was dark and smelled moldy. We didn't feel good about this either and explained we wanted a a healthier environment for the kids. We were then offered a third unit at the top of the mountains (Highlands place). We actually really liked this unit (beautiful view of the mountains, no moldy smell, and great parking), although it's definitely not hotel quality (no marble sink, big tub, nice lighting, etc.). It's like a condo unit built in the late 70s. I do like the fact that there was a balcony and a full kitchen.

The dining was just okay. We went to Coppermine restaurant twice (since there were not a lot of options). Dinner was so so (3 stars), and their breakfast buffet was actually not bad for the price ($13.95/person).

Free activities were somewhat limited. We went to the indoor pool; it looked okay but definitely not as nice as pictured on their website. We drove to Lake Monocan and took a 30-minute paddle boat ride; nothing spectacular.

All in all, Wintergreen resort was not what we expected. We were looking for an upscale place to relax and also allow the kids to explore. Wintergreen resorts did not deliver. The lodging was sub par (condos look old and depressing). We had to drive everywhere. If you're hoping for a place where everything is housed inside a large building, Wintergreen is not for you. We drove to eat, to the pool, to the lake. Also, there were very few children (we saw one child the whole weekend). I left Wintergreen disappointed and tired.

Room Tip: State your preferences (above ground, etc.)
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank j_innovative
Geoff8212, Manager at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Wintergreen Resort thanks you for your review of the property. Wintergreen Resort offers villa style accomodations that are privatley owned and managed by Wintergreen Resort. We apologize that our accomodations and amenities did not meet your expectations. Our transporation services runs a shuttle around the resort on demand for guest convenience of not having to drive to our amenities of the resort. Please feel free to contact me as I would like to have some information in regards to your trip so I can make sure that our guest are communicated to and given every opportunity to enjoy the amenities of the resort. You can call the resort and ask for me, as I am the Director of Lodging. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.
Sylva, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

The desk staff and wait staff are friendly and very helpful. Our room was beautiful and the view outstanding. We could walk to the spa, aquatic and fitness center and we were right at one of the outdoor trails. Loved the aquatic center (an indoor and outdoor pool). The locker rooms are outstanding and staff are fantastic. There are plenty of restaurants within anyone's price range and the condos have full kitchens if you wish to cook.

Room Tip: We loved the condos that were up the mountain.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank bs0927
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2011

This was our 3rd stay at Wintergreen. My primary reason for coming is the excellent quality of the tennis program, but all the amenities are terrific. My 2 girls (20 and 15) love the spa and fitness center. The golf seems very good (I am not a golfer but was told it is highly regarded). In winter and summer it is an easy place to find a lot to do. Great people, warm and friendly. The quality of the staff is excellent - they really pay attention to detail and cleanliness. We will happily come again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank dmc2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wintergreen
Residence Inn Waynesboro
#1 of 1 in Nellysford
Village Inn Motel
Village Inn Motel
#1 of 1 in Lovingston

Been to Wintergreen Resort? Share your experiences!